Next tweak list: Mustang!

thierry laurent

Thanks a lot for your comments!

Indeed, I should think twice about requesting financial support from aftermarket companies as finally I'm promoting THEIR business ;-)

Eclipse released the fishtail set but unfortunately it is not appropriate for the A-36. As I wrote, there were a lot of small differences between those early marks. For the spinner, converting any of the P-51D Greymatter sets is probably the easiest solution if you do not have an old Hasegawa Mustang in the attic or want to build multiple Allison-engined kits. For the wheels, the cheap True details wheels are OK unless you need another type of tire. In such a case, there are other options (Barracuda, sinifer,etc.).

Thierry

Ok, it is the time of another correction!

"The kit has the small door located behind the port exhausts but the very obvious hinge located at the rear is not present. Refer to pictures to detail the area".

And regarding the small divots intended to replicate the cowling fasteners on the nose: "Note that it is recommended to refer to pictures as the number nor the location is fully accurate."

As there were questions regarding the nose modification, here is the difference.

I used a spinner from an old Hasegawa kit and realized that I could put the Hobbycraft one INSIDE the Hasegawa one! This allowed me to show you easily the difference as I simply put the Hobbycraft spinner tip over its rear section (inside the Hasegawa one) and the Hasegawa tip over its rear section on the second picture. Putting the Hobbycraft part inside the Hasegawa one has a major benefit: no problem to position correctly the larger spinner!

I think that pictures are rather self-explanatory!

P1070365.jpg

P1070364.jpg

Hth

Thierry

Regarding the nose specific matter, I'd say no as the Hobbycraft is an enlarged copy of the Accurate Miniatures one! Note that this is the only major dimension issue I identified.

However, some errors are not so obvious when the kit is smaller.

Another very good example of this is the Trumpeter Corsair II. It was bashed for its squashed canopy and too pointy nose whereas it is looks like an enlarged copy of the 1/48th Hasegawa kit for which I never read similar complaints!

Another addendum:

Fill the small panel line going through each airbrake actuator on the upper wings. Remove the line of divots behind the airbrake and replace them by flush rivets. Note that if the number of them is correct; their location is not accurate. Refer to scale plans or pictures.

• 2 years later...

I'm curious about the spinner. From pictures, I've always thought that the Allison spinner was shaped differently from the Merlin B/C/D spinner. In images it does look both pointier and a little skinnier.

Is the complaint that it's smaller than a D spinner? Or that it doesn't match full scale drawings/measurements?