RAAF Super Hornet. Finished.

ericg

Eric,

...are you sure you haven't got a  small - mini factory production-line going on here,  with very small slave Pixies - doing all your models, in these vast quantities (working 24 hours a day) as you have posted - here .... that we mere mortals - like us ...cannot do?

Phil

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z169/emmiedownunder/Fairies%20and%20Fantasy/Fairy-Bike.gif

Edited by Piprm

Eric wow you certainly do know your clear coating biz! Looks fantastic! Could I bother you for your setup if you get the chance? Ie airbrush nozzle size, X-22 thin ratio etc

No worries,

Iwata TRN1 airbrush, X-22 in a 50:50 mix ratio with Tamiya Acrylic Thinner, sprayed at 20Psi.

Eric.

Thanks Eric!

I'm a big fan of trigger-type airbrushes, I run a Tamiya HG trigger type 0.3mm and their 0.5mm, another rather different gun I have is the Mr Hobby Procon Boy trigger type that has a flat fan type spray pattern - great for motorcycle bodies or primer.

Your Hornet is looking 'the business'..inspired!

Eric,

...are you sure you haven't got a  small - mini factory production-line going on here,  with very small slave Pixies - doing all your models, in these vast quantities (working 24 hours a day) as you have posted - here .... that we mere mortals - like us ...cannot do?

Phil

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z169/emmiedownunder/Fairies%20and%20Fantasy/Fairy-Bike.gif

Arghhhh! my secret is out!

Some more build.

Before I painted the model, I noticed a small issue with the pylons, easy enough to fix but I wonder how this stuff gets through the people that test build these kits!

See here:

IMG_0259_zpsdam4j9rp.jpg

and here:

IMG_0258_zpspwnbr21m.jpg

They are the same measurement.....

Now see here? The pylons come off 2 sprues that are the exactly the same, meaning that they are exactly the same when put together. This will result in an assymetric position of each of the outboard pylons.

IMG_0260_zpsxzgtyuxi.jpg

I scrubbed off one of the aligning pegs and replaced it with plastic card.

IMG_0419_zpsfawfegtq.jpg

Another test fit of the pylons and stuff hanging from them. I will spend some time getting this part of the build as good as I can as the loadout will really set the model off.

IMG_0413_zpshwk3fpzv.jpg

Here is another look at the cross hatching pattern of the tanks. It is just there, just like the real deal. Also noticeable in this pic is the small data plate that I sourced from an Airscale sheet on the area next to the leading edge flap.

IMG_0417_zps3p0klx5u.jpg

Super observant readers will notice that I have gone back and changed a part of the markings on the model, involving ripping the original decal off the model with masking tape, filling and relocating a couple of panel lines and respraying, resealing and then splicing a couple of decals together to re-do an area that I wasn't happy with. This area may or may not have been pointed out to me by a third party via PM. I was almost about to leave it alone but when I got the PM, I made the decision to go back and re-do it.

IMG_0416_zps392bbrik.jpg

Edited by ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

beautiful work and nice fix regarding the pylon issue. Completely agree that someone should have discovered the problem before the kit was sent out the door. It seems quite obvious that the original design was for two completely different parts to be used but someone along the way decided it was a great money saver just to include the same fret twice, even though the pylon would be wrong. If using the same fret twice, with the same pylon, then the locating strip would have been in the center or the slot in the wing moved slightly. Sure seems as if the 'Bean Counters were at work gain"

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Good catch Eric!.... I must admit, I had to look at the pics a couple of times before I worked out what was wrong, so I dont think I would have caught it until it was too late.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

Excellent work, Eric!

Good catch Eric!.... I must admit, I had to look at the pics a couple of times before I worked out what was wrong, so I dont think I would have caught it until it was too late.

Yeah, me too.

Kev

• 2 months later...

So.... After I finish a model (the latest being the Sabre), I find myself looking over the ones I have started, have a tinker with one or two and then remember the issues that I have had with them in the past causing me to put them down in the first place then start something new as a way of punishing myself for not carrying on with an old build like I damn well should. This one is no exception, although to be fair to myself, a large scale jet is alot of work and requires alot of commitment in the first place notwithstanding the fact that this is a Trumpeter large scale jet so the difficulty factor is increased significantly. I was just about to go full noise on the Revell Beaufighter but common sense prevailed. I will sometimes go back to the build that I am most guilty about casting aside, so here goes.

I lost the clear landing light that Trumpeter provide and required no twisting of my arm to get behind my lathe and machine one up!

IMG_1549_zpstglh7uyq.jpg

IMG_1550_zpsk41cul3s.jpg

IMG_1551_zpsjdv1c8u4.jpg

Another area of the build that I wasn't happy with was the refuelling probe bay. The kit bay was far too shallow and required me cutting it out and making a new bay that gave it depth. I still wasn't happy with the lack of detail in it and was about to leave it until I thought I would chuck some `gizmology', just to busy it up a bit. I simply couldn't find any good pics out there, so come up with a few details. I just need to attach the final rod that connects the red arm to the probe itself and then it will be complete.

IMG_1567_zpsxxvhblee.jpg