1/32nd P-51B from 21st Century Toys

akeller

Hello again.

The B model is a favorite of mine and I've read several threads here on LSP on building a more accurate model than is available in a kit at this point. I picked one of the 21st Century "kits" up on EBay thinking that it could be a basis for a more accurate finished model.

Has anyone used this as the basis for a nice model? Searched but couldn't find. It doesn't look too bad out of the box but I haven't compared it to scale drawings yet.

Thank you,

Al Keller

The 21st Century P-51B isn't a "kit", but a prepainted model. 21st Century only produced actual kits of their Zero 22, Zero 21, Corsair, Mc.202, Mc.205, Stuka, Bf 109F and Bf 109G.

I have one of their P-51B models, and have reduced it to kit form, but have yet to really assess what it would take to make it a nice P-51B. The one thing that put me off of it was the very heavy surface detail which is even heavier than most of their other stuff.

D

Hello again.

The B model is a favorite of mine and I've read several threads here on LSP on building a more accurate model than is available in a kit at this point. I picked one of the 21st Century "kits" up on EBay thinking that it could be a basis for a more accurate finished model.

Has anyone used this as the basis for a nice model? Searched but couldn't find. It doesn't look too bad out of the box but I haven't compared it to scale drawings yet.

Thank you,

Al Keller

If you really want a nice "B" then I might suggest waiting just a bit, as its possible Tim and Co @ Grey Matter Figures might be releasing our own Jerry Rutmans P-51B.

I like the 21st Century kits...wish I had a few more actually.  I missed out on them as I was in Alaska when Wal-Mart carried them and I lived nearly 100 miles away from the nearest location.  I've got the Zero (kit), Fw 190D (pre-built...won in a raffle) and a busted-up '109F.

I say build her up and make of it what you wish.  It's for you so make yourself happy. 

Later,

Lee

I did not realize that 21st made anything other than the pre-finished model!!

That is what I received yesterday.

There have been threads where someone will dis-assemble the 1/18th scale Mustang, refinish it and put it back together.

I thought someone might have done that with this model.

It doesn't look like the model will come apart easily but I may try that anyway.

Out2gtcha - that's good news.  I've tried to buy the JR kit on EBay but they always go for crazy money!!

Thanks everyone!

Al Keller

It doesn't look like the model will come apart easily but I may try that anyway.

Unlike most of their other models, the P-51B is glued together and not screwed together. That makes it harder to take apart without breaking things, but it can be done. Watch out for the exhausts because they have a bad habit of popping out and flying off into the next dimension while breaking the rest of it apart (never did find one that flew off of mine).

D