the stash

Sgt Shultz II

1) Stashingly big

2) I was hoping you could tell mé.

3) If it looks good in the stash

4) I remove the price tags, so it doesn't matter

5) None. That's why i have a stash in the first place!

MBB

Edited by Michel borderline Beekveld

1) 200 - 300 of just LSP kits, add another couple hundred or so kits of other subject matter and scales.

2) So I can build whatever I want when the inspiration strikes to do so. A well fleshed-out stash makes this possible without having to order what strikes my fancy and have the mood fade while waiting for it to arrive. Another reason would be to have the kit in-hand to carefully assess, and then collect the aftermarket items deemed necessary (if any) so that everything's on hand when the mood strikes to build it.

3) Inspiration comes in many forms: attractive models built by others, photographs, artwork, books, etc.

4) I'm pretty frugal, never paying full price for any kit and avoiding expensive options (E.G. Won't buy a $50 P-51A cockpit set for a $40 P-51A kit, and won't pay the full $40 for the P-51A kit to begin with).

5) Several hundred "stash kits" built in the 40 years or so of actually having a "stash". Most of them have not survived this far, but a surprising number of them have. The oldest built model that is still display-worthy is a Revell 1/72 Mc.200 that I built back in the late 1980s. The more external small parts that can be eliminated by a wife dusting, or the higher the kinetic energy a model has when knocked off of the display shelf onto the hardwood floor by the previously mentioned wife dusting is inversely proportional to the survival rate of built models. It does give one reason to build more if they should happen to fall victim, though. And with a good stash, the replacement should be on-hand and ready to go straight onto the bench if need be. :)

What are your answers to your own questions?

D

What are your answers to your own questions?

D

I  Like to know to :hmmm: Sgt Shultz!!!!!!

1.   It is big and out of hand :innocent: . But a lot of friends gave me kits when they lift the hobby

2.  I have it to help others enjoy what I have enjoyed over the years. That is why I think I was given collections by friends. ( my wife and I have given well behaved kids at model shows kits to continue the enjoyment.

3.  one,Two and Three are kinda of the same for me. But I have a lot of Armour. So I have extra gun kits stowage and etc.  Also see Quote of D Bellis

3) Inspiration comes in many forms: attractive models built by others, photographs, artwork, books, etc.

4.  If I can buy say four Tamiya Spitfires than one great HPH PBY-5A. I will go with the Spites. But love that PBY :wub:   But have bought two resin Armour car kits at $450.00 Now they are made in plastic for $30.00 a pop :BANGHEAD2:    Who thought some rare Italian Armour car would be made in plastic. :unsure:

5.  for the last seven years only a hand full.  But before that it was one completed kit every three weeks. Those were the days :rolleyes:

Cheers

Well I have about a dozen large scale planes in my stash now, most  snagged on ebay at cheaper prices due to being retired and limited "play" money. My stash are planes that I like and some influenced from builds I have seen here. The ones I like most are planes I have worked on during my 20 years in the Air Force namely the RF-4C (4 Revell kits and 2 conversion noses for Tamiya kits, have 2 F-4C's and 1 F-4J for them).

Money is the biggest factor/problem I have.

Several have been started but mostly waiting for detail parts.

I might also add I have a couple that I bought for converting but the conversion kits are no longer around. My main theme is recon aircraft.

Edited by Sgt Shultz II

1) How big is your stash?

2) Why do you have it?

3) What determines your selections for your stash or the next model you want to actually build?

4) How does price figure into your selections?

5) How many "stash" kits have you actually built?

So:

1. about 65 1/32 scale jets/props

2. i have no idea..., (my wife does ask me that also...)

3. ...actually i plan my build's very well. but then something catches my eye and voila..., another model...

4. a lot... I'm always laying back some cash, but sometimes i have to sell some stuff to get another one...

5. some..., actually i always build models that are in the stash, but sometimes you've waiting on AMS parts, so you start something else that doesn't need that...

Greetings and happy modeling...

Chris

2) Why do you have it?

3) What determines your selections for your stash or the next model you want to actually build?

1.  Just getting started with 15 in the LSP stash.

2.  My non-LSP stash is pretty much completed, so building up my LSP stash is my next goal.

3.  Interest in the subject.

4.  Price plays a large part in what I buy.  I always look for deals.

5.  Started one and it's languishing on the bench.

Edited by M. Dragon

1.) About 125 - 5 cars, three or four armored vehicles, a 1/72 Saturn V, one 1/48 Tamiya Rex. The rest are LSPs.

2.) I wandered into a small shop in Flushing MI while on a business trip about 20 years ago. They specialize in old OOP kits. I was like a kid in a candy store; I vowed to get many of the kits that I had as a kid.

3.) These days, subject matter is most important to me.

4.) Price always battles with want. I'm finding that want usually wins.

5.) I have lots started; I'm really bad at finishing. I find that I'll work on engines for a while, then cockpits for a while. I find that final finishing intimidates me for some reason...

2) Why do you have it?

1) Roughly 200 plastic kits (overwhelmingly 1/35 armour and 1/48 & 1/32 aircraft). Plus approaching 200 figures (all scales from 1/35 to 200 mm)

2) Because I enjoy modelling and because I can.

3) I never buy any kit that I wouldn't want to build (whether I then actually get round to building it is another matter!).

4) It varies. I'm self-employed, so my income varies. When I'm flush I buy more kits. When I'm less flush (or have a tax bill looming) I buy fewer kits.

5) No idea. Lost count. All I can say is that I buy kits at a faster pace than I build them!

1. A couple hundred LSP plastic/resin, with over 100 being WNW and the rest mostly Silver Wings, Alley Cat and Fisher.  I collect/build only WW1 and interwar.  Since electronic files don't really count as a "stash" I have not included the 1000+ paper models stored on my computer.

2. I've been building/collecting/selling models of one kind or another for 66 years (first was a Comet stick and tissue Piper Cub at age 6 which my da had to help with because of the need for razor blades as cutting tools.)  It's hard to stop now...

3. I earnestly intend to build every kit I purchase but it rarely works out that way.

4. I am fortunate enough for price not to be a real issue although I rarely buy anything at more than the manufacturer's original price.  No $250 LVG C.VIs for me although I'd love to have another.

5.  Of my current stash - about 20-25 so far.  I suspect there will be large estate sale when I head to the LHS in the sky.

2) Why do you have it?

1) i have 24 unbuilt LSPs, plus 2 that i work on

2) because i want and will build each and everyone of it

3) interrest in the subject, but keeping in mind what i said above. when i was a kid i started dozens of models and never finished most of them, so i now only start a new kit when the one i build currently is finished. i have two places i can work on kits, so i build two kits at once, moving back and forth is nice if you get bored by a subject. i will get a third place (my house for the holidays) where i may work on a third kit.

4) if i dont "need" it right away, i mostly wait for a good price.

5) 19

2) Why do you have it?

1) About 150 kits of 1/35 armour - almost entirely German WWII, Approx 50 Figurine sets in that scale ... and about 130 1/32 LSPs ...

2) The end result is my "retirement hobby" ... 5-6 Large Scale Dioramas depicting various scenes of Germany's "European Tour" and the evolution of armoured warfare.

3) Read #2 ... also because I'm "speculating" as well as collecting ... The kit either has to be German WWII, a significant opposition aircraft or have reasonably sound investment potential.

4) The reason I'm collecting NOW ... as opposed to when I retire ... is that while I'm working - I have money to spend ... It's all within reason though - I won't spend more than I have to, to get what I want.

5) I built a few Tamiya 1/35 kits - before I discovered Dragon! - The detail is so much better ... 2 x constantly evolving Large Scale Dioramas, A few LSP's here and there ... and have tossed a few purchasing errors (Ie: kits that I considered to be poor quality after close inspection!).

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

2) Why do you have it?

1) There are 32 kits in it, apparently!

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=15175&p=stash&fkSECTION%5B%5D=Kits

2) Jennings has it spot on - "eyes bigger than belly" sums it up nicely... Though in fairness I actually enjoy the selecting, searching out the cheapest option and purchasing of a kit almost as much as the actual building of it.

3) My selections to date have been driven by the need to improve my skills. My stash is almost exclusively 1/32 scale, but to date I have only completed two 1/48 scale models as I don't think I am good enough to do proper justice to a 1/32 LSP yet.

4) It doesn't really. I bought the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfires with as much anticipation as the Revell Mk.II

5) Two, so far!

2) Why do you have it?

1.  30-ish LSPs, plus a couple of 48th items for pirating/scaling up to proper 32nd scale.

2. Oh, come on.....

3. A)  Is it RAF/RFC/FAA?  B) is it 1:32nd scale? C) Is it a bargain? D)Do I have it already? This last one can catch me out sometimes. 

4. Oh, come on....

5. Half. Of one. My Swordfish.  But JUST YOU WAIT, when they are all done, they will be the MOST magnificent collection of 1:32nd RAF/RFC/FAA aircraft models in the WORLD!

Somehow, I am now even more riddled with guilt than when I started this reply.....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow