Phantom P-51D "Double Nuthin"

Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha,

Thank you for sharing this build.  I too build this kit years ago and loved it.

You've inspired me to do it again with a lot of updates.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Al Keller

Thanks Al!  Im glad I inspired with this one. Its inspiring me too!  Its a real feeling of freedom, to not have to worry about the usual stuff like as much accuracy as we can pump into a build, nor exact colors or hues of colors, ect ect.

Quite refreshing!

Its also a nice change of pace to know no one but the least knowledgeable aviation people will mostly be the only ones seeing this one.......................and Im hoping the ones who DO know the diff, are distracted by all the fancy noise and moving parts!    :lol:

Edited by Out2gtcha

Hi Brian,

Very nice progress.

I like the little enhancements you make while keeping the character of the kit.

It also keeps the build speed up and the fun in. :)

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the kind words! This one is all about fun, and that's exactly what I'm having. :D      I really didnt thing about it, in that way,  but you are 100% right about speeding up the build.................I just thought about what it would have been like if I had built a Monogram Mustang like I normally would, and your right, it would take SO much longer, that this thing might never get done.

Cheers,

It's Liberating!!!!!!!!   

Not a care in the world just build it for fun

This is why I like to do a What-If, for a relaxing I can do anything I want to no worries build

Let's the Spirit FREE!!!

Try it ................You just may crack a smile as Idea's run thru your mind

jack

• 1 month later...

It's Liberating!!!!!!!!   

Not a care in the world just build it for fun

This is why I like to do a What-If, for a relaxing I can do anything I want to no worries build

Let's the Spirit FREE!!!

Try it ................You just may crack a smile as Idea's run thru your mind

jack

Thanks Jack......The Phantom is back!

Now that I have finished the OV-10A for KHM, I am returning to finish a couple builds languishing on my bench. The Phantom Mustang Double Nuthin is one of em!

Since the gear legs, tires and wheels are done, I dry fit them in the wings, with the clear 4 peg braces holding them in and THOSE in turn being held by C clamps to test their operation. The gear legs are not glued in either, so the starboard gear is a bit floppy still and needs some attending when only dry fit like this.

The operation is cool none the less, as they even look cool with one tending to lag behind the other, just like IRL. The speed seems good if not a tad fast, but for this build its very acceptable. In the end, the gear doors do have stop tabs on them to prevent the gear from retracting too far into the wings.

Once all glued in, this will be very acceptable I think. As you can see if you continuously press the gear retract button the gear will remain in a retract up/down operation until you release it:

Im also finishing up the 500lb bombs, as well as contemplating starting the paint on the pilot. Ive got Monday off too, so Ill be working steady on this and my HpH Walrus.

Cheers all!

Great video Brian!

Thanks for posting... the retract mechanism intrigues me.... how is it mechanically linked? Is the motor down in the base with shafting running up the pylon? What stops the motor from driving any further than the retracted or down position?

Looking great mate,

Craig (wishing he was back home to work on the B-17 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great video Brian!

Thanks for posting... the retract mechanism intrigues me.... how is it mechanically linked? Is the motor down in the base with shafting running up the pylon? What stops the motor from driving any further than the retracted or down position?

Looking great mate,

Craig (wishing he was back home to work on the B-17 :)

Thanks Craig!   All the gear mechanism is linked with plastic clear injected rods, connecting and hinging on points just long enough to get the tail wheel to retract.............and the mains are also on two separate and differently angled cogs, such that as the clear disk spins in the middle with a peg on it, it varies the rod back and forth, and thusly each main gear's "cog" spins in the proper manor to cycle the gear up and down in a continuous cycle (as long as your holding the button that is). The port wing MLG cog even has to stick out the bottom of the wing to get it to work right..................its all clear, so not that noticeable..........to me anyway. 

Not many updates lately but heres one now...................progress!

I have been spending my time modifying the MLG mechanism to get the gear to more readily retract further into the fuselage so they dont hang down when they are supposed to be retracted...................but the majority of my time has been spent on the excellent True Details USAAF pilot............

I started our little flyer with the basic acrylic colors, and a pallet of oils to later do the shading and highlighting. The Macro is NOT your friend, but I still think even the basic colors turned out ok. The pilot is excellently molded, with his officers uniform pins on his shirt and USAAF uniform tie:

DSC04574.jpg

DSC04575.jpg

DSC04576.jpg

DSC04578.jpg

Even though I am not even within throwing distance of the ballpark Shep Paine is in, I used his techniques to add oil color shading and highlighting, blending as I wend in sequence. The look the pilot figure has prior to this treatment is so utterly plain and toy like compared to the after....................................

I completed the Shep Paine treatment on the pilot and the result is quite pleasing to me indeed, even though far, FAR from perfect. Used 2 part epoxy for his goggles. I guess I was used to the slight "deflation" seen when you apply things like Future, but in this case the extra bit I added remained, so our guy has some bug eye goggles...............but Im not worried, as even though its not really accurate, I think it still looks cool none the less:

DSC04590.jpg

Next up, I got our little friend strapped in and got his torso situated where hes supposed to be, including posing and attaching his gear shift throttle hand, as well as cutting down the OOB fight stick to fit it under the stick grip top in our guys right hand:

DSC04595.jpg

After I made sure his hands were firmly on the controls, I attached our gents heed and his O2 mask. I'm quite chuffed at the result and think he looks quite smashing in situ!

DSC04602.jpg

DSC04603.jpg

DSC04604.jpg

You can even still see the officers pins on his shirt

DSC04608.jpg

Tiz all for tonight as I work in the AM, but its back splitting time between this project destined for my office, and my HpH Walrus................

Cheers till ur older!

Love the pilot Brian! Thanks also for the low down on the gear, it all makes sense now you said it keeps going up and down as long as you hold the button :)

Looking forward to seeing more of this and the walrus.... only another 6 weeks away from the bench to go...... :)

Craig

Thanks Craig.   Id probably go crazy having to do actual house work if I couldn't get to my bench!   This is a very refreshing build for me, as its akin to a "what if" for me, since Im doing whatever I want and not paying attention to any actual accuracy issues.

I spent some time getting the long clear IM rod and tail wheel mechanism going last night. The tail wheel gear doors are another matter..................the wire spring that Monograms gives you OOB holds the doors in the closed position, and relys on little pegs on the gear to open them, and prevent the doors from closing on the tail wheel.

This works crapily at best. I have another solution. I will not use the OOB spring, but will use some Uschi "fine" rigging to pull the tail wheel doors up behind the tail wheel, and let gravity open them.  Or at least thats the way I HOPE it will work!

It does appear so far at least that I can get things to work the way I want...................cause once the fuselage is glued and sealed up, there will be NO WAY to fix or adjust anything.