Phantom P-51D "Double Nuthin"

Out2gtcha

Well, after a short bit of work I applied some insignia white to the letters using a very flat and smooth makeup application sponge:

DSC04060.jpg

While the white was drying I started assembling the landing gear retraction gearing. This is a 5 stage gearing system to reduce the speed of the raising and lowering of the gear to a more consistent and realistic speed. These are just setting for now, as I still need to get a plastic compatible lubricant to lube up the gears in order to run the motor and break the gears in during a 5 min recommended break in period prior to installing the gear set:

DSC04062.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

After smoothing out all the gears, the white on the base lettering was dry, so I applied a coat of semi-gloss lacquer to protect everything:

DSC04066.jpg

All for tonight, as I hope to get a bit further on this as well as the OV-10A.    Im really having a blast with this one so far!!!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks Louie!

It was some of your builds that inspired me on this one. It wont exactly be OOB either, but nothing too major as far as hacking as I really wanted to retain the fun of the original build with some of my own flavor thrown in.

Cheers,

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Memories for sure. I remember when Monogram first introduced the Mustang and it was a huge hit. All the Phantom Mustang builds are my ticket ...Back to the Future.

Terrific start and no doubt, going to be one sweet pony

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Brian

Memories for sure. I remember when Monogram first introduced the Mustang and it was a huge hit. All the Phantom Mustang builds are my ticket ...Back to the Future.

Terrific start and no doubt, going to be one sweet pony

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. :D I totally agree. Do you remember the Monogram "Flapjack"?

FlapJackBoxArt.jpg

Between the Phantom and the Flapjack, Ive filled some awesome childhood memories!

When you get this done, can you do a little youtube video of everything working please?

Craig

Funny you should say that Craig..............................I JUST did take some video of the landing gear retraction gear mechanism last night.  :lol:  I also thought it would be really sweet to do just as you said, and get a cool little vid up of the whole thing working once done too!

Im off to the LHS (Local Hobby Shop) and the LHS (Local Hardware Shop) to get a new bottle of Tamiya Thin cement for the Phantom body, and some D Batteries and covers for the bomb drop levers respectively

Nice enhancements to this classic, Brian

I lubricated the moving parts with silicone grease.

When I built mine,I used MEK for glueing the transparent parts.
Apply it with a small paintbrush and capillary action does the rest.
Where I didn't want MEK to run between, I added a smal drop of Revell Contacta precision, to stop the creeping of MEK.

I wonder what you are going to do with the checkers! :popcorn:

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks guys.  :D

Thanks for the tip Peter.  :) I have some Tamiya extra thin I plan on using that so far has worked really well. I'm not quite as worried about capillary action wicking the Tamiya extra thin into places I don't want, as Ive got some tricks up my sleeve planned for the trailing edges of the wings/flying surfaces. ;)

I'm hoping it will let me fill that area without the need to watch exactly how much glue I'm putting in any one area. On to a bit more progress with the base............

First up, I started assembling the electronic connections for the wheel retraction, and propeller. I re-learned quickly that this was indeed the old 60s Revvie technology. The OOB button set up was two slabs of plastic with two sets of wires running perpendicular to each other, and upon contact/connection of the circuit, the gear and prop activate respectively. This was spongy, and very cheap feeling, taking a lot of pressure and bending of the two plates. The top plate that has the actual buttons on it, does a LOT of flexing:

OOBbuttons.jpg

So to remedy this issue, I thought about all of the tiny switches I had amassed from my Triebflügel project. I had purchased a ton of tiny "Momentary" style push button and toggle type switches from a near by Radio Shack and thought if any of these would physically fit, its the same very basic two prong connection, and would fix the whole problem. I got out a cool little square soft touch one I thought would fit great and tried it out. Not so great...............unless I wanted to press the "hrottle" to go forward:

DSC04071.jpg

DSC04072.jpg

Then I found a couple of even smaller push button style momentary switches. These were a bit smaller in overall diameter, and depth:

DSC04077.jpg

These actually do cut a very small portion of the T off in THROTTLE, but I can live with it, as the action of the two new switches is really nice, and I think it looks classier than the hole that was there previous with a black button hovering in it:

DSC04081.jpg

DSC04082.jpg

Since I couldn't fit the thick plastic backing ring on each of the switches from the backside, as the switches themselves were both very close to the outer wall, I just attached them both with a bit of hot glue. This will give it sufficient strength for button pushing (especially when the force is pushing the button more firmly in place), but will be removable later without having to break the base apart:

DSC04083.jpg

MORE.....................

Next I got out the massive pile of AM I had in the spares drawer for the P-51, and found an old Aires pit set, with just the radio/fuel tank.............so I cut it off of its base, and it almost perfectly matches up with the dimensions of the OOB part:

DSC04073.jpg

DSC04074.jpg

I know its not at all accurate really, but this is more about "see-through desk top scale" accuracy, than actual accuracy. Im really just going for a good looking paint scheme, and am doctoring up the aesthetics of the interior more than changing anything major. Im using all the OOB base plates to maintain the fit of the project, while adding as much "spares box AM" as I can here and there to make things look better/busier.

DSC04075.jpg

All of the above will be painted and weathered a bit with a mix of fantasy and reality. Next I wanted to dress up the two plain-Jane black levers that poke out of the top of the base, and drop the port and starboard bombs. I couldn't think of anything right off the bat, but when I ran out of things to rummage through in my spares drawer, I found myself out in the garage..............................

I wandered by a little box that had a several screw assortments in it, along with a bunch of little plastic end caps, and screw end caps. Some of them were the soft plastic type you slip over the end of a raw screw sticking out. It turns out that after cutting the small perpendicular nub off, these slipped right over the levers and added a bit more color:

DSC04079.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

Lastly in prep for final assembly of the base, I hooked up the gear retraction gear assembly to the batteries and gave it a 5 min break-in period with some plastic/nylon safe hobby grease. You can really see how  the gear reduction gets 2:1 slower with each gear to the point of the top gear that moves very slow and methodically:

DSC04069.jpg

More on the Phantom this week and definitely more on this one and my OV-10A over the coming 3 day weekend. Cheers all!

Thanks Craig!

I actually took some video of the working of the internal gear mechanism, as well as the spongy OOB buttons, but I didnt seem to have enough light on the vid, as it didnt seem to focus on the center of the picture, and thus came out fuzzy. Ill try to shoot in a different area with more light as to get my subject in focus.

Im really having fun with this old school/office build!  Im really looking forward to getting to some paint and...........................FOIL????  

Cheers!