You can't get enough Yellow Wings - Part 1 : Fisher Ryan ST-M.

Hubert Boillot

I Must say....i like it alot....yes, alot, i like the alu look on this Project.

And about the photos, hell yeah i know the camera is a hell of a judge to battle with......i know, as i battle with mine...yes alot....but one thin i also know when seeing it LIVE with own Eyes to is something different.

As im saying,this one of yours looks alive and that what Counts for me.

/Mal

Thank you Mal, Kevin and Richard (and to all who clicked on "like"). Much appreciated.

I have a long way to go to reach you detailing level, Richard, and your painting skills, Mal, and Kev's as well. But I have found again the fun of modelling, and am progressively overcoming my repulse for painting... So next one should be better :)

Hubert

Many thanks, my friend :)

Well this one nearly ended in a "vertical filing" movement (read trash bin ...) today. All by my fault, needless to say ... First I found that the fin was slightly too tall to match the rudder. It had to be unglued, and the top filed slightly to equate the rudder height, then glued back in place... If there is something that could put me off resin models, it is to have to use CA glue ... I HATE CA glue ... :(

Yesterday evening I then rigged the fin and tailplanes. I had drilled small holes in them, and inserted a small tube, in the same way as on the spats, at the base of the fuselage, where the rigging wires end. I used a single piece of wire, winding it from the tube through the tailplane hole, then the fin, then the opposite tailplane, then back in the tube on the opposite side of the fuselage. Then I went for improving the tension of the wire by holding an incandescent toothpick under it ... Snap ! Too much tension ! Start again. This time I decided to add a small drop of CA in each hole.... So far so good.

But this morning, I found out the extremity of the right tailplane had moved up by some 3 mm :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: . Impossible to push it back into alignment : the wire glued in the 0,5 mm hole made it impossible :deadhorse:

I finally managed to tear off the taiplane, (with the rigging wire still holding .... :blowup: ), damaging the foil in the process ... :BANGHEAD2: And I had finally to cut the wire and redrill the holes...

...This is when CA decides to play its own tricks ... First attempt : the tailplane would not hold in place. Second attempt : it sticks instantaneously, but the incidence is wrong ! Tear it off again (and further damage to the foil). Third attempt : yes, OK ... sort of ..; There is a nasty gap at the root. No probem. Some CA plus micro-ballons and that should do it .... Yes but the CA sets so quickly it goes onto the foil... plus the whole rear of the fuselage is now covered in foggy white CA vapours ... Did I mention I HATE CA ? Well, yes I HATE CA !

This is when the near vertical flight started ... :piliot:

After cooling down, I tried to clean things up. Acetone is great to remove CA, but not so great on painted areas ... Plus it will not work where you have added micro-ballons...Here only meachanical means will work (read a round burr in the Dremel) ... But the foil does not like it.

To cut a long story short, I had to putty the roots of the taiplanes and fin with Mr Surfacer 500. Then mask the area around them to re-spray some Chrome Yellow ... Ah yes, do not forget to avoid the "62" number on the fuselage. The Tamiya masking tape might lift it from the foil ... Good advice, buddy, but too late ! :deadhorse:

The test will be tomorrow when I remove the masking tape... It may be OK ... or it may be a nightmare (beware of the second flight with a vertical dive in the trashbin !) If it's OK, i will refoil the rear fuselage ....

In the meantime, the wheel spats have been glued in place, and the rigging wires set. I have now a good contol of the tensioning trick with the incandescent toothpick ... At least I have made some progress in this area ...

No pics for tonight. I am too knackered ...

Good night to all ...

Hubert

PS : did I mention I HATED CA ? Well, now you know it :fight:

Hubert, sorry for all the nightmares, but I'm sure you can pull it off. It does look amzing ! I have thought about this kit since it came out. One of these days. Anyway, good luck to you sir.....Harv :popcorn:

Diorama? 

Sorry, just trying to make light of the situation, glad nobody was seriously hurt.

Take a deep breath, stay away from the hobby room for the weekend and move on!!

RP

o-PENMAR-570.jpg?7

An idea for the PT-22 kit, Ron :rofl:

Hubert

OK, this one did not (yet) end up in vertcial filing or like Ron's pic above :) ...

I have re-learned a few lessons I thought I knew by heart by now ... :doh:

1. You can make up with paint nor foil poor surface preparation underneath ...

2. Trying to work against a fixed schedule is a recipe for bad decisions at least, and disaster at worse ... :deadhorse:

Anyway, try as I might, I did not finish it for our monthly meeting last friday. But in rushing around trying ta make the self-determined deadline, I forgot the lessons above.

So I tried to make-up for the bad seams at stab-to-fuselage and fin-to-fuselage root first with some UV-curing putty, then some wet (read thick) coats of chrome yellow .

But, as you can see, the bad undersurface still showed :

DSC00491_zpsndgprlun.jpg

Ignoring what I saw (hey I wanted to finish this one), I nevertheless redecaled with Archer rivets and refoiled ... But that was too late for the meeting anyway !

The meeting was nice btw, and Franck Oudin's (aka Frankey here) neat paintjob on his Tamiya Corsair ( https://www.facebook.com/miraclemasks/posts/843934435681431) with Miracle Masks, as well as Mal's own work on LSP have been a great reminder that, even though I am not at their level when it comes to airbrushing, I could certainly do better than a quickly btched-up work ...

So I enjoyed the following saturday in the Gruyère area, finishing with a nice lunch with Patricia on the shores of Lake Geneva, in the middle of Lavaux vineyards :thumbsup:

Then sunday was another day to cool off (so I took your advice Ron :innocent: ), having a BBQ at a friends' place.

Yesterday, I decided to come back at it ... guess what ? Yes I snapped the fin off. So another leson learned : CA will not glue well to foil - strange I could not think about it myself before-hand :hmmm: ...

I decided to forget about CA, and set the fin back in place using some White Milliput, which allowed me to fair it nicely with the fuselage. The overthick paint on the fin and stabs has also been wet-sanded, and I have just painted some Mr Surfacer 1000 on the lot bafore another fine wet-sanding session ...

DSC00514_zpsnuf5tnii.jpg

When this is done, re-rivetting is of the order of the day, then some new and thinner Chrome Yellow, then some foiling ...

My plan which was to paint and decal as much as possible before the final assembly has backfired on me though. It was based on the assumption that everything went nice, and manipulations would be minimal afterwards. Between masking the rear fuselage for smoothing, painting, sanding, etc... and the fact that there are not many areas to pick the model during these manipulations, the "62" number on both sides of the fuselage has somewhat suffered ... Some of it can pass as gentle weathering, but some will have to be touched up when everything else is OK.

DSC00515_zpsvkz6irth.jpg

DSC00516_zpsmi0hlics.jpg

As a passing note, you can see I have added the wing-to-fuselage struts. Mine were missing in my box. These ones were done using some thick (from disposble kitchen-ware) alu foil wrapped around a 0.062 Evergreen rod. To have a neat and straight trailing edge, I folded the foil back onto itself at the TE level. Sorry, I did not take any pics.

Whilst MS dries, I'll complete other small details like the windscreen framings.

Next installment soon, but not rushing anymore :)

Hubert

Allright.....this looks to turn out to be a fine model buddy....kerp em coming.

To mention...yep alot in Mals Way.

Time..yes time is a modellers best friend.

Feel for the build, if not do something else instead for the moment, since inspiration is a positive thing that needs to take care for, since modelling is fun....not a forced must do now....it destroys much....such as inspiration and creativity.....

it is supposed to be a pleasant time to enjoy...in saying time is valuble thing and dont waste it on frustration an forced building.

/Mal