It baffles me that there are no French fighter jet kits of modern tool

IBuildEmBig

Am I the only one who finds it strange that there are no 1/32 kits of French front line fast jets of modern tooling (disregarding the ancient Revell mirage kit)? I mean the Mirage and Rafale family. Those are gorgeous jets used by many countries, and are relatively accessible. I'd think there should be pant up demand out there. When even esoteric subjects such as the OV-10 Bronco gets the 1/32 treatment, where's the love for the French jets? Why no one even bother to scale up the various 1/48 mirages and Rafales? It wouldn't be that difficult in this day and age, would it?

Terry

Ahem - in the case of the entire Mirage III family , we need a new tooling  now,

The poor old Revell kit needs a honorable retirement!

As for the F1, the 2000 and Rafale, yes please as well. I presume the reason we're all still waiting is that , other than the Mirage , the others really don't have that high a profile in world Aviation .. 

You would image that Revell , with its intrest in modern jets - witness the Typhoon, might find it in its heart to think about its French cousins occasionally!

I too think some of those jets are good looking, and am surprised as well there are no modern new tool 1/32nd examples, but I would hardly consider the OV-10 esoteric. It was in front line military service for 30 years, and is still used to this day by a myriad of countries for everything from fire-fighting and suppression, to acrobatics and cargo transport out of small air-ports. Its really not a great example of an unusual aircraft that no one would recognize.

If you want Esotericism 32nd, there are plenty of actual examples that I would say do fit the bill like a 32nd IAR 80, XF5U-1, DFW-T-28 Flea, or Dewoitine D.520C that I would have thought would have been out LONG after we would have seen a new tool 1/32nd Mirage or Rafale. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

I'd say that is most likely the reason

I disagree as all IAF jets are amongst the most famous jets in air history! Add as well the fact that the French air force also used their jets in various wars since the Suez campaign and I've yet to understand why they are neglected topics for so long...

Thierry, France has not been that prominent in the combats post-Suez IMO. If anything, the Mirage III is more famous with Israeli markings than French ones.

Of course, France has gotten an (undeserved) bad rap in the States because it refused to support Bush invading Iraq.

Having visited the Museum of the French Army in Paris twice, I understand that France was the world's first super-power and held that role right up through the Napoleonic era. Americans who make jokes about the French don't know their history.

Edited by Bill Cross