1/32 Counter Rotating Props?

Avadon

Wow I didn't think you'd be able to twist them by hand like that. I do have heatgun(s) if necessary. I found those 1/32 paddle props linked way above. But I'll have to find/make a hub. In 1/48 scale it would be pretty easy, just by two highplanes precious metal kits. The hard part is doing it in 1/32 ;)

I'm making a very modified F-82.. in fact hardly an F-82 at all.. If I could figure out how to upload photos I'd share my idea with you and maybe you'd have some insights.

How did you get the second counter rotating ring on your Precious Metal? That part seemed like a significant challenge to me.

I tried heat, I tried putting them in hot water, ultimately heat from rubbing them and from my hands worked the best.  Its not a huge twist mind you, but considering untwisting them to zero, then adding reverse twist on that, its pretty substantial.  The tip shape is important, and Thom Richards, owner of Precious Metal gives great credit to his new prop tip shape to the 60mph gain he had after installing the new prop.  Also the aft prop is smaller in diameter than the forward prop.

As far as the second ring goes,  its not really a ring per se, as my props dont turn.  With a lot of trial and error I made a paper pattern of the shape that it would take to extend the back of the normal Mustang spinner.  I thought I had a picture somewhere of the piece I made, and also what I made for inside the spinner to hold the blades in place, I will check tonight.

IMAG2071.jpg

Its far from perfect, but doesnt look half bad from a distance.  One of the hardest parts was converting from 4 props to 3, at least you may not have that problem.

Oh and there is a tutorial on using photobucket to host photos here.....cant wait to see your build.

The twist is correct on the Dragon props, but the blades are concave on their forward faces (instead of convex as they should be).

So no, unfortunately they won't work for opposite rotation, either.

D

Thanks for explaining the issue with Dragon props. I didn't know what it was exactly until now.

Carl

or as said previously use the ones from a P-38 kit pic below is of the old Revell kit

they match nicely with Hasegawa's P-51, just the normal moulding dimples to fill in

DSCF3036%20640x337_zpsfpstlop2.jpg

Bob

Hi Avadon

I don't know if you wish to push the boat out, but maybe Paul Fisher might do you a couple of sets from his Red Baron Racing 51?

DSCF3033%20626x640_zps61z2nnxh.jpg

Bob

I tried emailing him but he never got back to me. The model above says discontinued when you go to the site. :\

I also tried to ask for a spinner for the paddle props located here

http://www.kitsforcash.com/p-51-mustang-racing-paddle-propellor-blades-30-p.asp

But they don't have spinners. So maybe they will just work hopefully with a 1/32 P-51 standard spinner. They are cast metal and stout which was my initial problem with the first 4 sets of P-51 uncuffed props and spinners I ordered (which was very expensive in 1/32 scale). But they were soooo crazy filmsy I ended up sending them back. They were like paper thin. The props on my 21'st century toys -P51 are much, much thicker. I even thought about buying two of those kits and trying to build it.

I also thought about trying to scratch build from wood or clay(to be cast then into resin) and then pulling parts from 1/32 P-51 and other kits to complete it. 

I actually have that P-38 Revel kit on my shelf behind me as we speak. But I didn't really want to rob it's propellors. I also really wanted four bladed props. Yep I'm a pain. lol