1:32nd B-17G 'Aluminium Overcast'

tomprobert

Having built the HK Models B-17G a year or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed the process, I've decided it was about time to build another!

This time I'm going to finish it as a modern-day 'Warbird' - I was thinking about building the YAM's 'Yankee Lady' as I went for a flight in her in 2012, but the thought of all that gleaming aluminium had me running scared.

Instead I've gone for the EAA's Aluminium Overcast which is painted silver, and therefore far less of a headache to achieve a decent finish. (picture used for illustrative purposes only)

B-171_zpsaf595fd3.jpg

This kit will need some modifying to bring up to 'warbird' standard as it's moulded as a late-war B-17G complete with all combat equipment. Therefore, some of the combat equipment will be left out of this build, and unlike wartime B-17s, will be painted interior green - most warbirds are painted in this way to prevent corrosion. I'll also be making the rear passenger seats for the waist areas as well as two extra seats on the flightdeck.

Decals have been sourced from KitsWorld: http://www.kitsworld.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=3&SUB=1&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=373&STKNR=373&STRH=3808&ORDN=2303&RNZ=384906

The first job was to remove the mounts for the crew oxygen system on the flightdeck and replicate the padding seen on the real thing from thin plastic card scribed with the stitching detail:

S1030592_zpsf9b9f20b.jpg

I then scratch-built the rear passenger seats, which are the folding webbed type on the real aircraft:

S1030590_zps7e5801cd.jpg

The rear fuselage bulkhead by the entry door has webbing to stop passengers venturing too far aft - this was recreated with Evergreen strip:

S1030588_zps4c6e0133.jpg

The nose compartment bulkhead had the oxygen hoses made from guitar string and the cover for the rear of the instrument panel make from plastic card:

S1030585_zps084dad1b.jpg

The underside of the flightdeck by the forward crew entry door is lacking detail as it comes in the kit, so I have made some of the fuselage structure from plastic card and Evergreen:

S1030582_zps784e89e1.jpg

The flightdeck itself has had the two additional passenger/crew seats scratch-built and the guards around the control columns added:

S1030579_zpsb3a4bcca.jpg

Finally, the radio room has had the camera hatch added to the floor, the table support modified, and the rear bulkhead has had the ball-turret ammunition cans removed and the structural detail added from plastic card and yet more Evergreen. All doors have been removed as these will be posed open to allow more light to travel through the model's interior.

S1030575_zps33851a56.jpg

I've a few more smaller details to add before a coat or two of paint.

It's been great fun so far  :)

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Great idea and a terrific way to approach another Fortress project. Excellent start and will be enthusiastically following you progress.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Nice to see you back Tom! And this project looks to be a must-watch already.

Kev

Cheers Kev - it's good to be back amongst you folks. I've not been doing much 'large scale' recently (the Stirling is currently on hold whilst I gather more parts for it) but the B-17 is my all-time favourite so I couldn't resist starting another!

Tom

Great idea and a terrific way to approach another Fortress project. Excellent start and will be enthusiastically following you progress.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter - a modern 'warbird' will be a different take on this kit - KitsWorld do a load of decals for airworthy birds flying currently so I thought I'd take the plunge!

Wow, we get to see another masterpiece come together.  :popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

A definite must follow for me

You're very kind - hopefully it'll live up to your expectations!

Niiiice work Tom.

Great idea as well.

Cheers Matty

Thanks Matty!

Nice! Will be following along with this one, had the extreme good fortune of flying aboard Aluminum Overcast a few years ago.

Wow... as I said I flew in Yankee Lady and it was quite an experience. It certainly helped me understand the sounds and feelings of flying in one of these aircraft during the war, but thankfully I didn't have flak and fighters to worry about. I spent a fair bit of time in the bombardier's seat, and it just brought home how vulnerable he must have been sitting in that big glass bubble with no protection at all. Even the twin fifties below wouldn't stop shrapnel and 20mm cannon. It was very humbling. 

Sweet! Another B-17! Great start on it so far Tom, I'll be watching in great anticipation. Hopefully I can make some progress on mine soon. Oh and I love the simulated webbing. Looks the biz :)

Craig

Thanks Craig - it was simply Evergreen strip weaved together. Nothing too difficult.

Nice work, Tom. We're you issued a parachute for your flight? Just curious.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark - and no, no parachute. We had an extensive safety briefing and then signed a waiver explaining we understood the risks of flying in a B-17 and that was that. 

To be honest, I felt far safer flying in the meticulously maintained B-17 (you could have eaten your dinner off of it) than I did in the clapped-out Boeing 767 we flew over the pond on!

I'm still working on mine from over a year ago and you are onto your second.  I am very impressed!!

It certainly is a kit that gives you value for money - my advantage is I'm a teacher so long school holidays to get building!

Thanks for the interest so far, chaps.

Tom