New Combat Model vacforms!

Radders

I love their subjects, but am not so pleased with their earlier kits' execution. It would be great to see an SR-71 in our scale (1/32), but I wonder about the detail. It probably would be the ideal way to build one that wouldn't break a shelf, since most vacs are light enough to actually fly. I guess we can hope for the best, but check the reviews... just like with every other kit that comes out.

Tnarg

The vacs I built (quite a while back and in 1/48) were actually not that hard, and often easier to build than resin kits. The only problem that I had with any of them was the crude manner that some of them implemented detail. The best ones were almost as good as finely molded injection surface detail, but the worst were deep vintage Matchbox trenches for panel lines. The interiors are pretty much empty, but then so are a lot of older kits. It's an "opportunity" for detail, but it works. Sanding them and preparing the parts isn't that much different than with some short run kits.

Tnarg

So has anybody built a CM vac form and can vouch for their quality etc?  I'm very interested to see that both a Cornell and an Anson are available in 1/32nd.  Should be fun!

Max

Hi Max,

Combat kits are usually at the "low" end of the spectrum with regards to ease of assembly and fidelity of detail. You usually have to source your own decals, and the detail sets are somewhat generic. That said, they ARE build able.... Our late, lamented vac monster Larry Hawkins (Maverick72848) built them by the dozens. I have built several, and I think the word I would use to describe my builds is "persistence". They need a lot of fettling, and some engineering on your part. A curse jar on your workbench will ensure that you have enough money to buy your next Combat vac after you finish your first. I'd suggest trying something a bit better engineered as a first effort, like a 1/72 Rareplanes model. Then go for the Anson, and know that there is a great community here to walk you thru it. HTH.

Thanks Lee, that's very useful information.  I'm not a total novice to vac building, I have the Sanger Oxford partly finished though as I was building it Special Hobby produced their injection moulded Ox-box so it was kind of sidelined.  That said, I do like scratch building and adding or changing bits to my models - I can never build OOB so I reckon I might just have a go at the Cornell as a starter!

Max