Help / Advice with Big Typhoon!

simmo

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but here goes. Im in the process of building my Typhoon in the makings 175 Sqn SW399.  The problem I have is witch mod of radiator did it use?  The decal sheet shows a red and yellow paint scheme on the front grill ( part D16 ) but should this also be used with part D 17 ( think this is a filter of some kind ) It just seems odd having part D 16 just hanging there not doing a lot. I have looked through lots of pics and seen all kinds of radiator mods on the Typhoon but not one of this aircraft, Can anybody help?

Oh and while Im on a roll, Anybody seen any pics of the late style rocket rails fitted to Typhoons? I can only find them fitted to Mozies.

Thanks in advance, Ill go away now!  lol.

simmo, the instructions say to not use part D-16 if using part D-17 which is referred to as the cuckoo door type filter. Not sure if this is correct or not, but that's what the instructions say.  From what I understand, the cuckoo type filter was a field modification done after the typhoons became operational on the continent. Later production typhoons had this modification installed at the assembly line.  Seems like the typhoon you're doing is later production, post September '44.  

This may be a better explanation.  Also notice the lower picture with the late style launch rails.

e69e54a0-a237-44b4-9b32-0ce3da6b3a63_zps

Here are some more images of the late style launch rails.  This one with what appears to be a cuckoo-style filter.

18353a0d-561e-4bec-be78-1efb3959c790_zps

These look slightly weathered.

094e55e3-1009-496a-b5bc-d42b3b5458a1_zps

One more.

2863be88-1354-48bb-a01d-c805ff23c580_zps

I'm also doing a 175 sq. bird.  Mine is an earlier production with tempest tail and 3 blade prop.  I chose to use the coc-coo style filter.  Not sure if it's correct, but that's what I chose.

9835a89f-b34c-4e91-af1f-1dcb64628ebd_zps

HTH

Best regards

Patrick

Edited by LSP_Ray
Spelling, so isn't caught by profanity filter.

simmo, I'm no rocket expert, but according to my references they are high explosive fragmentation heads, anti-personnel, obviously.    The kit supplied rockets are either HE or semi armor piercing (SAP) rockets. baf0116b-514a-4fe0-a18b-2cea51f12b0e_zps

Best regards

Patrick

Edited by Patrick HMD

Thanks once again Patrick, very useful stuff there. Still having doubts about the rad. lol. On one of the above pics I think I can see a filter of some kind behind the door. Will keep looking for info untill I need to fit the thing. Once again thanks.