Kitty Hawk OV-10 AM products

Out2gtcha

On 6/17/2019 at 8:20 AM, daveculp said:

One other thing I've found missing on the KH OV-10A (and also missing on the Academy 1/72 OV-10) is the rest of the radar warning system.  The kits come with the forward RHAW antennas but not the rear antennas nor the cockpit controls and scope.  In addition, the forward antennas in the KH kit are flat when they should be a half-sphere.

I'm going to add this to my 3D printing to-do list, but it may take some time.  The 3D printing system I have is not as plug-and-play as I'd hoped.  There is a lot of trail-and-error involved in tweaking the settings.  After 15 attempts at printing the B37K rack I still don't have a satisfying result.  Close but not close enough.  I was thinking of writing an article on it.  Is anyone else interested in 3D printing (DLP type)?

Dave

We can use a ADU-299 rail adapter for the Sidewinder rail to pylon? 

image244.jpg

image236.jpg

Scan0031_zps15b27994.jpg

Middle right side photo shows it use on the OV-10D

On 6/19/2019 at 12:41 AM, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Dave

Here's a prototype.  PM your snail mail address and I'll send them to you for test fit.  I don't have an OV-10D model to use.

ADU299.jpg

Dave

AN/ALR-46 project for the OV-10A.

As far as I know only the post-SEA USAF OV-10A's had the ALR-46 installed.  The visible components are: 

1)  Rear antennas - one under each boom just forward of the rudder

2)  Forward antennas - each side of the nose

3)  Display scope and control panel, placed on top of the station selector panel.

ALR46.jpg

The KH kit comes with the forward antennas, however the antenna bit is flat rather than half-spherical.  I decided to incorporate the control panel/scope into a new part to replace the kit's 3 individual parts (left weapons control panel, map case and right weapons control panel).  This map case has a front cover and a closed rear - two things missing in the kit version.  Also, the new panels have glare shields and switches.

I'm still not sure I've got the scaling right - might need a 5 or 10 percent adjustment in places.

46 minutes ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

I love a set of thoes for my OV-10D!!!!!

The D has a different set of antennas, and I think the KH kit already has those.  As for the display scope and control panel - I have no idea.  The whole instrument panel looks different, and I haven't looked closely at it.

On 5/25/2019 at 4:21 PM, Harold said:

I have photos showing that rack on T-33s and F-100s as well.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, daveculp said:

No luck contacting Harold regarding the 230 gallon tank.  In the mean time I've started working on the B37K bomb rack.  This is my first successful print with my 3D printer, and now that I'm learning to use it I don't know how I'll find time to build models!  Still plenty of work to do on the B37K.  Here's a photo of it posing with the excellent BDU-33 bombs from videoaviation.com.

I started a scratchbuild of the rack a looong time ago, but it's in a box of stuff, somewhere in the garage jungle, never to be found.

If you have an extra print that needs refining, I could cast one and use the resin result to do the detailing. Let me know...

21 hours ago, daveculp said:

AN/ALR-46 project for the OV-10A.

As far as I know only the post-SEA USAF OV-10A's had the ALR-46 installed.  The visible components are: 

1)  Rear antennas - one under each boom just forward of the rudder

2)  Forward antennas - each side of the nose

3)  Display scope and control panel, placed on top of the station selector panel.

ALR46.jpg

Nice looking stuff!   One note, I think late-War,  some aircraft were retrofitted with these RWR’s.  Refer to the pics posted of those PAVE NAILs.    

On 6/20/2019 at 9:30 PM, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

How about the Pave Nail for the AIRFORCE version

I second this.  I'd love to build a Nail!   Interesting how the pod rotates to clear the the nose gear...    Looks like there is enough info to replicate the pod, however, I've never seen any pic of the cockpit display / controller....

On 6/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

How about the Pave Nail for the AIRFORCE version

ZI-0IBL-2011-SPR00-IDSI-19-1

Working on a prototype now.  Not many photos available - I think you have them all :)

PaveSpot.jpg

I've got a pylon length (at 1/32 scale) of 33.2 mm.  The total length of the pod is 36.4 mm.  Any comments on the shape and size?  The measurements I used came from the photos, so it's a pretty rough estimate.   This is the first print, so some tweaks are needed.  I also have to print the clear part yet.

It's designed to rotate freely around the vertical axis, but the nose will have to be glued in a permanent position.

-- Dave

8 hours ago, daveculp said:

Working on a prototype now.  Not many photos available - I think you have them all :)

I've got a pylon length (at 1/32 scale) of 33.2 mm.  The total length of the pod is 36.4 mm.  Any comments on the shape and size?  The measurements I used came from the photos, so it's a pretty rough estimate.   This is the first print, so some tweaks are needed.  I also have to print the clear part yet.

It's designed to rotate freely around the vertical axis, but the nose will have to be glued in a permanent position.

-- Dave

Nice!!  You going to a stab at the cockpit display?

On 6/19/2019 at 12:41 AM, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Dave

image244.jpg

image236.jpg

Scan0031_zps15b27994.jpg

Dave I received the ADU-299 adapter roughly looking at it it's too small width length and height also the little winglets they're cut at angles on the backsides  

the wings are at about a 30 degree down angle from the body too. I have exact measurements at home found them in a file and I'll send you some more photos