Kitty Hawk OV-10 AM products

Out2gtcha

Holy @#$% lol. Flow charts and massive tables are NOT an encouraging sign for a build.

But Glen's work looks epic, and six bucks for PDF download seems like it could be worth some of the headaches and rage his book could prevent.

Edited by Porkbits

I've built two including both a D and an A for Kitty Hawk.

It's a kit that has gotten a bad rap. KHM made some typical odd engineering choices and the way things go together is odd on places, like no re-enforcement for the wing sections, and lots of ejector marks in bad spots (PE helps cover) but overall I had fun with both.....and have two more in the stash to do.

It's interesting re: the wildly differing reactions to some KH kits. With the Bronco, I've heard "Eh, it's not that bad!" but also "It will break your spirit, ruin your life, etc."

I suppose it boils down to your skill level and willingness to tackle challenges. I consider myself slightly advanced (ie, I'm an "assembler," but have taken on some difficult subjects (like the Eduard re-pop of the K-pro Su-22) and currently working on a large sci-fi resin subject that arrived in a mangled box in six pieces), so who knows? 

As long as you know what you are getting in to. It really isnt about skill level as I've seen this kit do in some extraordinary skilled modelers. It's about knowing what the niggles of the kit are, and knowing that if you get too bogged down in some things, the kit can do you in.

- add a stringer/rod for strength down the middle of the wings as it's a crappy but joint

- be prepared to fill ejector pin marks! There are a lot of them, and some are in very inconvenient places like cockpit sidewalls and gear wells. 

- engine bearers and engine mounting overall is suspect and weak. Modification is recommended if displayed open panels. I never display engine panels open so have not had to worry about that.

- MLG is fairly accurate (meaning highly cantilevered) and extremely weak. Aftermarket brass replacement gear is HIGHLY recommended.

- there is a  LOT if glass, and a although both my copies fit well, it requires a lot of patience.

- fuselage has a lot of places where parts are joined that dont have actual panel lines on them, so some filling and blending of some seams is in order too.

I'm sure I missed some things, but you get the picture, nothing out of bounds for anyone with average modeling skills like myself. 

Thanks for the info! I'm saving your list (along with the pile of other info I've collected along the way). 

I also bought Glen's book, so armed with all this knowledge and a TON of aftermarket stuff going in, maybe I'll succeed. Maybe.

The one thing I've seen multiple times is the need for reinforcing the wings, so will def do that.

Just knowing I'll have to fill a lot of ejector pin marks gives me a headache, but guess I'll deal with 'em.

57 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Just knowing I'll have to fill a lot of ejector pin marks gives me a headache, but guess I'll deal with 'em.

Honestly, the're not that bad. If you invest in some PE from Eduard it actually helps a bunch, and covers a lot of the marks.  

Its funny, after I let Glen from KHM have permission to use the pictures of the A model I built them for promotional purposes (as well of course taking the model itself to shows and what-not), all you have to do is Google "Kitty Hawk Models, 1/32, OV-10A" and the demo I built them is one of the first pics it usually comes up with:

33310c76dacbc70cd90ab003a1e7fc3c.image.7 

• 1 month later...

I'm planning on building my KHM OV-10A to represent the 20th TASS at Sembach, Germany.  I'll need a 230 gallon centerline external fuel tank, but haven't found one in the aftermarket yet.  It's the same tank used on the F-102 and early F-106.  I have a 1/48 scale F-102 model that I can borrow the tank from and carve out a wood copy in 1/32 scale, but a styrene or resin tank would be better.  Has anyone seen one?

BTW, I flew the A model at Sembach and at Patrick.  If you have any questions about the airplane please ask.

2 minutes ago, daveculp said:

I'm planning on building my KHM OV-10A to represent the 20th TASS at Sembach, Germany.  I'll need a 230 gallon centerline external fuel tank, but haven't found one in the aftermarket yet.  It's the same tank used on the F-102 and early F-106.  I have a 1/48 scale F-102 model that I can borrow the tank from and carve out a wood copy in 1/32 scale, but a styrene or resin tank would be better.  Has anyone seen one?

BTW, I flew the A model at Sembach and at Patrick.  If you have any questions about the airplane please ask.

Welcome aboard, Dave!

:post1:

Kev

39 minutes ago, daveculp said:

Yes, Welcome Dave - with tanks, maybe find any with similar diameter from other kit, then cut into ends like a tulip taper to bend them inward, then glue in place and fill.

Plans to do my A model similarly as 27th TASS George AFB. as we shared the tarmac late 80's. Unfortunately no one has printed such markings in 1/32 scale, but the Testors boxing in 1/48 scale has them.

59 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Yes, Welcome Dave - with tanks, maybe find any with similar diameter from other kit, then cut into ends like a tulip taper to bend them inward, then glue in place and fill.

Plans to do my A model similarly as 27th TASS George AFB. as we shared the tarmac late 80's. Unfortunately no one has printed such markings in 1/32 scale, but the Testors boxing in 1/48 scale has them.

Yes, the George airplanes came from Sembach, so they probably all had the European 1 paint scheme. 

For the Sembach build I want a load out of:  one 230 gallon tank, four lau-68 launchers with inert rockets, no guns.  I was also thinking of an alternate load out for a Patrick bird:  two guns in the right sponson only, two bomb racks with 4 BDU-33's on each, two lau-68 launchers with inerts, no fuel tank.

I found a source for the BDU-33's, but I'll have to make the rack by hand:  a-19th-aircraft-generation-squadron-grou

4 hours ago, daveculp said:

Ask Harold Offield. He made various tanks for the OV-10. Out of my memory he also made that one. 

Hth

Thierry