Kitty Hawk OV-10 AM products

Out2gtcha

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Someone already does brass landing gear for the OV-10 kit.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/ov-10a-c-bronco-brass-undercarriage-set

46 minutes ago, Porkbits said:

Oh, nice! Did not know about these. Thanks for info. 

Oh yes, the Aerocraft OV-10 gear is absolutely necessary.   Even 5 deg of positive camber with weight off of the wheels does not prevent the OOB gear from splaying out. 

Yep, Dave is 100% correct, they ship to the US np. The set is excellently cast, and is very robust:

Bronco+set-L.jpg

I actually purchased two sets, one for my soon to come A model and my current D model that had splayed out under its own weight, then fully collapsed and broke when an award from a higher up shelf hit the wingtip of the OV-10 in my display case:

20180714_135658-XL.jpg

Its a kit that has (unjustly IMHO) gotten a wrap for bad fit or a poor kit overall.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but in mine, it's a fun build with some definite niggles, some curious engineering and some annoying things, but overall very fun if you know what to look out for.

I've put together an A and a D, with a 3rd OV-10A on it's way at some point.

Good luck with your build!

Hmmmm I didn’t notice any real issues building mine, other than the tricky part of closing up the engine cowls (if I remember right) I like the airplane because of it’s odd shape, it kind of looks like it wanted to be a helicopter at some point...

it’s been sitting on its kit supplied landing gear quite well for over 6 months now with no really noticeable issue.

It probably doesn't help that KH has a rep for over-engineered kits that don't have great fit, but my impression of the Bronco is that it's one of their better efforts....? And I'm sure the twin booms are a challenge. That's the part that gives me cold sweats just thinking about it. :huh:

But have always loved the Bronco. It's one my favorite AC--partly because it's ugly and utilitarian, partly because I grew up next to Camp Lejeune, and they flew over my house daily (along with Stallions and Cobras). So....no-brainer build for me. Just have to screw up my courage to do it.

11 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Harold's seats look nice but unless I'm mistaken, the parachute pack on the front and rear seat should be on opposite sides.  SAC would be the ones to contact about making metal gear , or Ernie Gee at G-factor

Bruce

The parachute packs are on opposite sides for sure. 

SAC gear are mostly useless, as the pot metal they use normally folds up faster than any OOB gear.

We hoped Ernie G feom G Factor would make a set of brass gear, and he indicated long ago his intention to make a set of brass gear but to date there are no G Factor OV-10 sets.

However,

Aerocraft models has produced a very nice set that is made out of hardened brass, and are exceptionally robust:

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/ov-10a-c-bronco-brass-undercarriage-set

Bronco+set-L.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got my set Aeromaster set yesterday, looks like really nice castings (exactly like the photo above! Science!)! So thanks for the info, everyone. Guess now I have no more excuses for not starting my build. :-) 

My only concern is that per emailed instructions, there seems to be a bit of surgery required to get everything in place. Hope I can understand what needs to be done and execute.

pCoGK1Q.png

My only thing is (and I know its nit-picky) I wish most of these sets were made with white brass.  Having used a couple sets of those, its so SO nice to be able to polish up the oleo's to a nice chrome finish and then paint out the rest of the gear.