My Corsair -"Marines Dream" - FINISHED

Volture

Hi to all,

Another Tamiya Corsair???Yes another one…My Corsair…The birdcage Corsair …. on my workbench !!After the A-1D Skyraider  aka “My Sky Projectâ€â€¦.and the attempt of He111 (postponed project)…I decide to work with this popular subject of this beatifull plane!!
Challenge for me??the answer is yes…and that's because ive seen a lot of awesome works of this model!!The quality of the kit itself its AWESOME!!!! will try to make this model with a dignity result (I hope :)!!!
As you can see I started with the cleaning and assemply the engine parts of the kit.

Regards
Philippos

11.jpg

1.jpg

Its a Kind od Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2.jpg

The instructions......booklet!!!!!......a Pleasure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

the second cylinder row, the 9 (2 pieces each) pipes, and the back pipe "distributor"...are ready for paint!!!
8.jpg

Edited by Volture

I think you will enjoy this build. The cockpit takes a while to get finished, and the Powerplant is sort of involved, but everything fits like a dream and the modular construction makes painting up in subassemblies a snap. Once those two areas are completed, i think you will find the rest of the build goes rather quickly. If you like to paint, this model is for you!

david

The kit has very very few potential traps. 

One to be careful of, is the stainless steel "Dishpan' segment that the engine attaches to, along with the exhaust pipes which are nested inside them. If this piece is not fully seated against the rabbit joint inside the forward fuselage, you can run into problems with mounting the "Boot Cowl" that closes off the firewall from the cowling.....

DHFG-1-022_zps9ac374de.jpg

DHFG-1-015_zpsd1428837.jpg

DHFG-1-037_zps03250995.jpg

In the end it worked out OK, but it made for more work than it needed to be.

The other pitfall regards the "sleeves" that the wing spar slides into in the outer wing panels. Read the instructions carefully, and be careful not to glue these in place! People who have ignored this encounter difficulties when attaching the outer wings in the "Spread" position.

Bon Chance!

david

The kit has very very few potential traps. 

One to be careful of, is the stainless steel "Dishpan' segment that the engine attaches to, along with the exhaust pipes which are nested inside them. If this piece is not fully seated against the rabbit joint inside the forward fuselage, you can run into problems with mounting the "Boot Cowl" that closes off the firewall from the cowling.....

DHFG-1-022_zps9ac374de.jpg

DHFG-1-015_zpsd1428837.jpg

DHFG-1-037_zps03250995.jpg

In the end it worked out OK, but it made for more work than it needed to be.

The other pitfall regards the "sleeves" that the wing spar slides into in the outer wing panels. Read the instructions carefully, and be careful not to glue these in place! People who have ignored this encounter difficulties when attaching the outer wings in the "Spread" position.

Bon Chance!

david

I am really thank you David for your help and advices!!I will be very carefull with the points you notice!!As about the wings......i have the bad experience of trumpeter Skyraider..so my lesson taken!!!:)

The truth is that i am comfused about the camo colors  ...i am gonna make the "Daphne" aircraft...and i dont know yet the ratios and the colors tamiya or gunze??

Thanks a lot again David

Philippos

Hi Philippos, good luck with your Corsair, it's a wonderful kit and I'm sure you'll do a great job and really enjoy it too :thumbsup: . As regards 'Daphne C' that's the same markings I used when I built mine, if you like you can find my WIP here where I made a note of the Tamiya and Gunze Aqueous colours I used. Hope that's of some help to you.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers....

Hi Philippos, good luck with your Corsair, it's a wonderful kit and I'm sure you'll do a great job and really enjoy it too :thumbsup: . As regards 'Daphne C' that's the same markings I used when I built mine, if you like you can find my WIP here where I made a note of the Tamiya and Gunze Aqueous colours I used. Hope that's of some help to you.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers....

Thanks for your help Spikelhund...your job is Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!....a very usefull case study for me!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi to all,

...a small WIP report of my project!!The engine progress includes the painting with burnt iron of the cylinders....and flat black of the 9 pipes!!Finally i got the Eduard Brassin engine set and these are the parts that i will use!!

Regards

Philippos

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Philippos

Terrific start on the Big bent wing Bird. I finished my Birdcage about a few months ago and all I can say is, "BEST MODEL I EVER BUILT" and as close to a perfect kit as you can get. Enjoy the journey and will be following with great interest. David's advice about not gluing the wing sleeves in place is money in the bank. I glued mine and needed a little TLC when attaching the wings. Just follow the instructions and zero problems.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Philippos

Terrific start on the Big bent wing Bird. I finished my Birdcage about a few months ago and all I can say is, "BEST MODEL I EVER BUILT" and as close to a perfect kit as you can get. Enjoy the journey and will be following with great interest. David's advice about not gluing the wing sleeves in place is money in the bank. I glued mine and needed a little TLC when attaching the wings. Just follow the instructions and zero problems.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks a lot Peter,

Your advices is my map to this journey!!!!!