82nd Abn paratrooper-Operation "Just Cause"

JRutman

This past Dec was the 25th Anno of our jump into Panama to handle that pesky Noriega guy.

My former Sergeant Major wanted one of my little dudes. He wanted one with beret and one without. We didn't wear berets while jumping as they would be put in the cargo pocket for that occasion.

Hornet head,scratchbuilt beret,Dragon torso from the Green Beret set and Corcoran jump boots and legs from the Dragon WWII para set.  This is the harness,made out of lead foil from wine bottles.

harness1001_zpsb2bcaa64.jpg

With primer

jumptwo001_zps192f3763.jpg

The item under the leg straps is an overseas bag for putting the two chutes in after you jump (assuming you made it)

Here is with all of the combat gear and parachutes. The big square case is for the M16(or M60 or SAW)  The parachutes and rucksack are all plastic as are the ammo pouches,canteens,etc while all the straps are lead foil again. This is all scratchbuilt.

1950001_zps6c6f19a2.jpg

1950002_zps2a3fdd7f.jpg

1950003_zps5a60caef.jpg

All I need to add are the hands,static line snap hook and the helmet.

I should add that no putty has been added yet to fill any mistakes or gaps in so please have mercy!!

So,the load out for this jump

Boots

BDU

dog tags

underwear

helmet

webgear with 2 ammo pouches which including the magazine in the weapon,gives you 210 rounds,2 canteens,first aid pouch,bayonet and 4 frag grenades,one on each side of an ammo pouch

rucksack with PRC77 radio and accy pack,spare battery for same,2 pair sox,one pair underwear,poncho and poncho liner,25 rounds of 50cal ammo,one claymore and 2 smoke grenades

M1950 weapons case with M16A3 inside(including cleaning kit)

parachute harness and pack

reserve parachute

The rucksack for this jump was so heavy I could not lift it one handed.  And I used to be pretty stout.

J

Edited by JRutman

It's a challenge adding equipment to figures in this scale: the equipment is often molded for static or stand-alone use and doesn't "hang" properly on the figure.

You've done a marvelous job of doing it without it seeming "stiff" and unnatural.

Edited by Bill Cross

Guest Peterpools

J

INCREDIBLE and all scratchbuilt - sensational work. I just can't understand how anyone could carry all that equipment. Even in my best days, I wouood have been pinned to the ground.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys for all of the positive comments. I always appreciate that.

Yes,it was fun carrying 50-60 pounds of "lightweight" equipment while you shambled out to the C-141 doing a peculiar waddle because of the rucksack between your legs.

We were alerted for "Just Cause" without warning one day while getting a pep talk by the Bn CSM and 18 hours later had our knees in the breeze over Omar Torrios Airport. Green tracers arcing up into the pre dawn ,after just looking out the open door seconds before at the cruise ship passengers still partying on deck out in the approaches to the canal.

Our families had no idea where we were.

It was freezing rain at Pope AFB when we suited up and all were shivering in their tropical uniforms until we were JMPI'ed and loaded. The C-141s had to be de-iced so the formation had to linger in the air until all the a/c were assembled. But we did hit the DZ with all the assembled fury of a modern airborne Para Regt all at once in a nice compact drop from only 500ft AGL. Minimal jump injuries.

Our company had one KIA and four WIA breaking a PDF roadblock on the road to Panama City though. The KIA was from mg fire and the WIA was when the assault element went to flank the roadblock and waded through a creek that turned out to be filled with battery acid from a nearby battery shop. A friend of mine(fellow PLT SGT) and 3 of his guys had pretty bad chemical burns and had to be evac'ed to Ft Sam Houstons' burn center.

25 years ago,last month. Time flies.

J

J

Here is the first(and hopefully last) application of putty. Mostly the arms and a bit on the beret. When it dries I can do the final shaping and then on to paint. The snap link and the helmet will be added after painting.

J

putty003_zps6ed5a9ee.jpg

putty001_zps5884b2ce.jpg

Next guy up will have no headgear and jungle boots. Way more authentic than the first guy.

putty003_zps6ed5a9ee.jpg

I was there with you, my friend. We were alerted at the same time, with wheels up in the wee hours, after a good 20-30 minutes de-icing the aircraft at Green Ramp. I didn't jump, as I was an Air Assault "Leg" in the 108th MP Company, 503rd MP Battalion, 16th MP Brigade. Hit the tarmac at Howard, rolled off the birds "guns up", and headed to downtown Panama City, where we started clearing the city building by building of those pesky PDF fellas.

Can't wait to see how this comes out, all of your work is a pleasure to behold, but obviosly this one will be closer to the heart. Maybe someday, I'll actually get to working on that "Just Cause" dio I've been planning for years now.