Tamiya F4U-1A - irate Donald Duck

Urs

My template roundels are well weathered.

Spitfires_CORSAIRSBoston051.jpg

Taking into account the sunshine on the roundels they do look lighter, not nessecarily weathered. Look at the under wing roundel on the Corsair parked across from the main aircraft in the photo which shows the darker Roundel.

If the Roundels were well weathered like the ones on your model, you most likely would see the US Star & Bar underneath as in this photo.

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/Images/nz5064p.jpg

Regards

Alan

That upper wing is fully exposed to the sunlight. You can easily see that on that shot. You can also see some varying colours on the underwing roundel as result of the fabric covered wing area. But I can only speak of me. There are different styles a modeller interprets his/her model. You'll never ever find same looking models from one and the same template if different modellers building them. Feel free to paint your roundels darker without any highlighting. IMHO mine fits well and comes close to the template I've chosen and fits well to the bleached appear of the bird and I don't will change no thing  just of a rivet counter opinion.

That upper wing is fully exposed to the sunlight. You can easily see that on that shot. You can also see some varying colours on the underwing roundel as result of the fabric covered wing area. But I can only speak of me. There are different styles a modeller interprets his/her model. You'll never ever find same looking models from one and the same template if different modellers building them. Feel free to paint your roundels darker without any highlighting. IMHO mine fits well and comes close to the template I've chosen and fits well to the bleached appear of the bird and I don't will change no thing  just of a rivet counter opinion.

I'm not a rivet counter never have been. I'm a Kiwi, proud of my Air Forces history.

I've seen a few of these new kits built as RNZAF aircraft and every one is historically innaccurate.

If I were to rivet count, for starters I would be bagging your kit  for not having the wings in Non Specualr Sea Blue  along with the tail planes and front and upper rear section of the airframe.  I can assure you no RNZAF F4U Corsair looked as faded as that on the front line. 10-20 years at the Rukuhia Grave yard after the end of WWII yes.

You have faded the Roundels, but forgotten the Insignia Blue surrounds of the bars and don't forget the vertical stab stripe still looks brand new.

If someone who offers some honest constructive critque and who actually knows what they are talking about, It's all right to disagree and build your model as you feel, but don't resort to bad mouthing about being a rivet conter et al thats just bad form.

Edited by LDSmodeller

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to build mine with engine section closed to have a better appear of the panels lines which could vary a little of the engine covers are just put together w/o glueing. White 77 is a bit strange and seems to be painted in a different way than you know from USN/USMC. Now basic paint job is done. Now the weathering starts.

20150723_145356_1.jpg

20150723_145245_1.jpg

Outstanding build and excellent painting/weathering Urs! I agree in your template interpretation; that is one area of modeling that is very individual!!

* LDS Modeler/Alan: I appreciate your input and personal interpretation - it adds depth to the historic background of the Kiwi birds, however I just wanted to add that given the fact that I too am German speaking I did not find Urs comment insulting or insinuating - somewhere something always gets lost in translation and when non native English speakers use English jargon and colloquials it can sometimes be interpreted as it is difficult to place them in proper context! Model on gentlemen! Tamiya has graced us with a beauty and Urs is giving us an outstanding build of the one who whistles death! ;)

Urs, to follow up on one of your earlier observations: The Corsair went thru an evolution of modifications to the tail wheel strut, in order to raise the tail up and improve visibility over the nose. Before the finalized, extended-post tailwheel yoke was produced in quantity, there was a form of interim tailwheel extension that comprised of a sheet metal box-like extended tailwheel yoke, welded to the original tailwheel yoke. This was supplanted by a similar bolted-together extension, both of which show up often on Goodyear FG-1As and retrofitted to several Birdcage Corsairs retained for transition training. From what i can tell i think they were installed on both Vought- and Goodyear- manufactured Corsairs. I saw one other modeler on Hyperscale build a Kiwi- 1A with the tailwheel extension but i cannot find a link. More detail on the evolving tailwheel strut can be found in Volume I of Dana Bells book on the F4U.

As the saying goes, Construction began with the cockpit.

Oops. Wrong Saying. Consult photos of the actual aircraft subject you are modelling.

Hope that helps.

-d-

Yesterday l quickly made a base and home for the Hog from a clip-in picture frame. Used Tamiya Grit Effect Light Sand as basic material to build the ground while still wet l crushed pastel chalk of different greys and browns and peppered the drying Tamiya stuff with it. Then glued some Grass Desert Tufts for AddOn Parts as contrast. At the end l blew the too dark spots with Tamiya Desert Yellow.

20150729_200559_1_1.jpg

20150729_200631_1_1.jpg