Hasegawa 1/32 OA-4M Skyhawk, H&MS-32 Bandits, 1990

Talon

Guest Peterpools

Tremendous start on the Skyhawk and some very impressive detailing. I'm right with Brian regarding Paul Fisher - just give him a shout and let him know what your concerns are; Paul will  not let you down. I had a few issues with my Sea Fury and Paul came to the rescue as soon as I contacted him.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

thierry laurent, on 19 Jan 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:thierry laurent, on 19 Jan 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

I'll try to reach this box to take some pictures of the modifications I made. I put it aside because of a lack of information but I got what I need in the meanwhile. I should consider putting it back on the bench but I still have to find a solution for the LG wells...

With regard to the oval panels, one of the Verlinden large scribing templates has one that corresponds exactly to the scaled ones but obviously you have to scribe more or less fifty of them and keeping them on the same lines is not easy...!

Just got shipping notice for the Aires wheel wells, so when they arrive I'll have a look and see what, if anything, can be done.

Peterpools, on 19 Jan 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Tremendous start on the Skyhawk and some very impressive detailing. I'm right with Brian regarding Paul Fisher - just give him a shout and let him know what your concerns are; Paul will  not let you down. I had a few issues with my Sea Fury and Paul came to the rescue as soon as I contacted him.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Good to hear. I will take Brian's advice and get hold of Paul and see what happens.

Edited by Talon

• 2 weeks later...

For Thierry (and others)

I received the Aires wheel wells and have started fitting them. I now know what the issues are with the fit of these to the Hasegawa A-4 kit. The openings in the gear sponsons extend too far back by 2mm. If you remove the necessary styrene from the wing to fit the wells, when you fit Aires pieces 13 and 15 (the rear wheel well extensions), glue them 2mm further forward than where the kit well ends, and then build up the missing areas with styrene. This does mean that the kit gear doors are too large as you will need to add the same amount of plastic sheet at the rear of the main well opening to close it in by the same amount, and will also mean shaving that much off the main gear doors. The upside to all of this is that the Aires main wheel wells will now fit exactly.

I would take some pics as the explanation is a little hard to follow, but my friend has just borrowed my good camera to take photos of the model he has just finished building.

Edited by Talon

• 1 month later...

Have been making some progress, but a lot of work at present is correction and rescribing so a little glacial in what can actually be seen.

First the guns. The Profimodeller turned brass barrels finally arrived (my own fault they took longer than expected). Anyway, this photo tells a story. L to R, kit guns in injected styrene; the white metal "Hi=Grade" parts provided by Hasegawa; the Profimodeller brass parts.
16_2015-03-14.jpg

They look even better after a bath in the Master Models blackening agent. I'll paint the blast diffusers in silver and the rear in camo and these will look stunning on the finished model.
17_2015-03-14.jpg

Now where all the work has been happening, the lower wing. There is so much work here, but most of it is unseen. I have fitted the Aires sponson parts, and reshaped the wells and gun slots using white sheet styrene. The white card is to correct shape and positioning issues, and allow the Aires gear wells and gun bay to fit. I've also corrected the position of the slat track openings and added the aileron actuating rod cutouts on the wing trailing edges. I'm about 60% done on scribing panel lines and adding rivets, but that is a little hard to see at this stage.
19_2015-03-14.jpg

18_2015-03-14.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 12/1/2015 at 1:47 AM, Scale_artisan said:
Scale_artisan, on 01 Dec 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:Scale_artisan, on 01 Dec 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:

Any progress?

Thanks for the follow up. Project is not dead, but nothing to report at present. I took some time out from this to finish off a conversion of the Hasegawa 1/48 TA-4F to an OA-4M, and will use some of the things I learned from that built to incorporate into the larger jet.

1-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

5a_2021-09-02.jpg

Edited by Talon

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...