Another Felixstowe F.2a Late - 1/20 Throttle Cables

Bill_S

I bought the late version; I really like the red and white dazzle scheme. This kit is a beast, but once you get into it, it's relatively straightforward. Of course, I have yet to get into the rigging!

I started with the interior of the fuselage: primed, preshaded, then a coat of MM radome tan. I sprayed MM Glosscoat lacquer before it was fully cured and I got a tiny bit of a crinkle to the tan. I followed with burnt umber oil, spread with a dry (hard) sponge.

DSCN04391_zps438b8ea8.jpg

For the structure, I wanted a contrast - dimensional hardwood (something like a red oak), with the lighter plywood behind it. I used Tamiya XF-57 (Buff) for the internal structure. Anything that looks like plywood I used XF-78 as a base coat. For the floorboards, I used various Tamiya and MM tans. All were finished with the burnt umber.

DSCN04501_zpsf9556ad7.jpg

DSCN04491_zps5dbdb1a2.jpg

DSCN04511_zpsab848acf.jpg

F2a_2_zps12c62184.jpg

Still lots of little interior details to paint...

Edited by Bill_S

Hi Bill,

Spectacularly realistic effect. I thought I was looking at a block of wood resting on something to weigh it down in the first image. I wonder what you were using it for. Then I realised it was the interior of one of  the fuselage sides. Amazing!

The whole combo of different shades of wood works extremely well.

Good job.

Cheers.

Guest Peterpools

Bill

Aces on the start of the project and some absolutely terrific wood work to boot. Did I understand this is going to be your first time rigging?

Keep 'em coming

Bill

Aces on the start of the project and some absolutely terrific wood work to boot. Did I understand this is going to be your first time rigging?

Keep 'em coming

Not my first time, Peter. Just the first time in a while. I have a mule to practice on!