WNW Felixstowe F.2A (late)

ladder4boy

Is it wrong for me to ask, that on occasion a ruler be included in your photots?  I just did a scale calculator on this......almost 3' wingspan??  Is that correct??  Wow she is big thats for sure!!!  Thanks for including the sprue shots on the table, this kit is just phenomenal.

What a most excellent way to start the new year.....have fun!!!!!

You are correct - 36 inches! As a comparison, this kit is 6 inches shorter than the HK B-25, with a wingspan 11 inches longer! 

Edited by Bill_S

sprue reduction complete.. 

image_zpse4060163.jpg

Tom.. I used a combination of tools for removal.. if the attachment points look tricky, i'll clip the sprue off about an inch away with sprue cutters and then clip it off close with a set of tiny scissors I got for cutting PE.. works pretty good.  a lot of the points at the wing got cut with a razor saw, and a lot of the fiddly piping for the engine and interior got cut off the sprue with the razor saw as well.  still managed to break a few parts.. the bomb holder part A11 and the engine water pipes D55, but managed to get them glued back together fairly well.  The engine parts are still on the sprue in the box.. I'll clip those and clean them up while i'm waiting on the oil paint to dry on the wood parts.

Heres a pic of the wings and fuselage next to a yardstick..

image_zps462030bf.jpg

measures about 35" without the ailerons... those should add about another inch to the overall wingspan.

took about 4 hours to get everything clipped off.. spent about another hour so far cleaning up the parts for step 1.  I'm anal retentive about cleanup so you guys can probably get it done a lot faster.  hoping to get all my wooden parts cleaned up up today and tomorrow, then base painted on Monday and start the wood graining process.  I'll build the engines while all that's drying.

Tony and Cees.. the Lanc is my next big want.. Have been holding out on the B-25 and B-17.. but will probably pull the trigger on that one when it becomes available.  Hopefully, i'll have this beast done by then!

All in all, I've actually been surprised by the number of parts on this kit.. There's a lot of them, but for some reason I was expecting more..  Test fitting has been excellent as expected, and I've been able to develop a bit of a game plan for construction.  I'll 'splain the plan after I've tried it out and made sure it works.  Should have something tangible to show by the end of the next week hopefully.

as far as aftermarket goes for this thing, the only thing i'm planning on using is the Gaspatch turnbuckles and 1mm tubing from Bob's buckles.. will probably use 2lb fishing line for most of the rigging.. maybe some ez line.. we shall see.

cheers guys,

Jerry

update time..

Good news and bad news..

Good news first.  Fit of the parts is extraordinary..  All parts on the interior are just press fit together.. no glue used and the hull (fuselage?) is taped together.  Just the major big parts installed here to see if there would be any major issues..  Happily, none to report!

image_zps46d1b84e.jpg

image_zps1e9269e7.jpg

image_zps4b0f700c.jpg

Was laying everything out to see what needed to be painted on the interior and what could be left alone... and what injector pin marks needed to be filled.  Now for the bad news..

This is what is seen when the lid is put on...

image_zpsdc787b95.jpg

image_zpse56ac692.jpg

image_zpsbffb94b5.jpg

image_zps95a84b49.jpg

may be hard to see because nothing is painted, but virtually all the interior detail is out of sight including the instrument board when it's all buttoned up.

One possible solution would be to leave the front two fuselage top panels loose so they can be removed..

image_zps0be8ec01.jpg

but the panel over the rear gunners position and engineers compartment will have to be fixed as there are rigging lines running through them and struts affixed to the center position.  might be cool to do something like build the upper framing out of strip styrene and allow those panels to be removeable, but that's some serious scratch building.  If you take a pen-light and look real close like through the gunners position you can see some of it, but if you're gonna close it up tight I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time trying to get your interior wood grain perfect and your post shading just so..  I probably will anyhow, but I suffer from an affliction and can't help myself.  As far as all the interior rigging that seems to be scaring the crap out of everybody, 90% of it will not be seen if you close it up tight... so don't let it scare ya off too bad.

Wish i'd stuck all this stuff together before I spent 3 hours delicately denting the fuel drums and adding archer rivets to them.. they're practically invisible in there.

Okay, time to tear it all down and start putting some paint on stuff. 

Cheers guys,

Jerry

I leave of detail if you can't see it.. I don't model for God, I model for me and I only have a finite time on this planet before I have to give up the modelling so wasting that time putting in detail you can't see doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the very useful detail mate... 

There are many instances where i would agree with wazza21, but this kit screams (to me, anyway) to do it right. I'll be painting all the detail; my plan is to take lots of photos with an eye toward a photo collage of the innards as part of my ultimate display.

• 3 months later...

There are many instances where i would agree with wazza21, but this kit screams (to me, anyway) to do it right. I'll be painting all the detail; my plan is to take lots of photos with an eye toward a photo collage of the innards as part of my ultimate display.

Mate, it is your model and your time and as long as you are enjoying yourself build it however you like.   :thumbsup: