WNW Felixstowe F.2A (late)

ladder4boy

Happy New Years everybody!  This was waiting for me on the doorstep when I got home yesterday, so I could think of no better way to start off the new year than with a new project.  I haven't been on here or even touched a model for over a year due to work issues and some health problems, but since the holidays everything has slowed down and healed up enough to give it a go again. 

Will be building N. 4545..

Obligatory box art with Gotha box for comparison..

imagejpg1_zps1071bc62.jpg

and a bunch of little bundles of joy...

imagejpg1_zps0d011d98.jpg

Lots of clean up and sprue removal to get started.. plan is it get all the parts that have to be painted wood done first so they can get the oil paint treatment and start drying, then work on all the sub-assemblies.  Progress pics to follow as soon as I have some.

Hope everyone's new year starts off as good as mine has!

cheers all,

Jerry

Edited by ladder4boy

Nice project for the new year! You will be the pioneer build on here I am sure. I have one, too, but it will be in the pile until I get some more rigging experience. This one looks like it will take a few spools of EZ Line!

Tom.. glad someone is interested!

Ray.. the rigging on this thing doesn't really scare me that bad.. there's a lot more room on these big models to move my fat fingers and tweezers around than some of the smaller planes.

I did order the Windsock Datafile on the Felixstowe as they're re-printing it, but as of right now its status is "delivery upon printing"..It'll probably show up after I get the fuselage closed up and have a dozen or so beautiful pictures showing me everything I did wrong on the interior after it's too late to change it.  I'm hoping it has some helpful pictures of the rigging in it tho.  I did find this web page

http://www.seawings.co.uk/F2Amangal.htm

that has some very informative pictures of the rigging and some of the technical data in it.

first update.. 

due to some issues with my neck, I've had problems with numbness and loss of dexterity in my fingers.. so I've had issues with breaking small parts off sprues while handling them in the past.  The way I've been avoiding this is by removing all the parts from the sprues and bagging them by instructional steps before I start glueing anything up.  I've done this on the last couple of WNW kits I've worked on and it's worked out extremely well for me.  The first thing I've noticed about this kit is the extreme number of sprue attachment points on some of the more spindly, tiny, can't wait to break in half parts!.. I understand the need for them and the purpose of them, and i'm super happy with the level of detail allowed by this technique.. it's just super scary when you see all the tiny removal points that need to be cleaned up!

image_zpsfaa8ac21.jpg

trying to get all my wood parts cleaned up and organized so I can get them base coated tomorrow afternoon, but it may take me a good couple of days just to get them cleaned up!  I'll be sure to show you guys all the mistakes I make so you'll see my pitfalls at the least.

Interesting approach to surpass physical issues,  I can relate, lately I've had issues with shaking and eye sight. I am steady as a stone until I go to do something really fine and steady,....  not a good match for modeling.

Is it wrong for me to ask, that on occasion a ruler be included in your photots?  I just did a scale calculator on this......almost 3' wingspan??  Is that correct??  Wow she is big thats for sure!!!  Thanks for including the sprue shots on the table, this kit is just phenomenal.

What a most excellent way to start the new year.....have fun!!!!!