DH-88 Comet, Macroberston Air race, Charleville QLD 1934

ericg

This is my newly completed 1/32 Aerotech De-Havilland DH-88 Comet `Grosvener House' as flown by Tom Campbell Black and Charles W.A Scott in the Macrobertson Air Race, London to Melbourne, 1934. They won the race, winning with an elapsed time of 71 hours. During my research I discovered that one of the mandatory stops was at Charleville, Queensland. I have a personal connection with that aerodrome, having flown in to it many times in a DHC-8 and it was a stop on one of the 4 sectors that formed my check to line as a Captain on that aircraft.

The Kit: Aerotech (Marsh Models) Resin/Photo etch/White Metal

The kit represents the overall shape of the real aircraft quite well but needed some extra work to bring out the distinctive shapes that make this iconic aircraft into a sleek and beautiful racing machine. A lot of work went into applying the fabric effect to the control surfaces and aft of the rear spar on the wing. Similar efforts went into the construction of the canopy to replace the decal framing of the kit with real framing constructed from 43 parts of plastic card and aluminium foil. I worked on this kit pretty well every other day and it took 1.5 months from start to finish. I felt that the kit needed a new front instrument panel and as such this was Scratchbuilt. Here is a list of the mods that I did to the kit.

Modifications:

Reshaped Fin, Nose cone, rear of cowls, fuselage cross section

Modified front of cowl.

All fabric effects added with primer

Scratchbuilt Front Instrument panel and canopy

Seat cushions from Plastic card

Aftermarket:

RB Productions Sutton Harnesses

Airscale instruments

Uschi Woodgrain decal

Paint and finish:

Tamiya TS-8 Italian red (2 coats straight from the spray can) Followed by 2 coats of TS-13 clear over the kit decals and self masked and sprayed `comet'.

General photos

4_zps067a7556.jpg

7_zpseebd7bd1.jpg

3_zpse6acce54.jpg

1_zpscdeb5a19.jpg

21_zpsc30e0403.jpg

Pilots perspective

19_zps439e28a5.jpg

17_zpsa196a2d4.jpg

16_zpsbda90168.jpg

12_zpsead587be.jpg

10_zps0e9c4cc2.jpg