HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Hahaha....yep!  The curve seems to be flattening and with only 54 new cases yesterday (with all the extra testing) we are all hoping to see some light.  We still have over 1000 cases and one death at this point.  No one is holding their breath... or maybe we should??  

I am starting to enjoy this lockdown, believe it or not.  Was a bit depressing at first, but now I have refocused and not watching so much news I am feeling a lot better.  Builds like yours are what helps me get through.

Looking really nice on that forward fuse and windows.  You will have a VERY unique model at the end of all of this!  Loving it

Anthony

10 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hahaha....yep!  The curve seems to be flattening and with only 54 new cases yesterday (with all the extra testing) we are all hoping to see some light.  We still have over 1000 cases and one death at this point.  No one is holding their breath... or maybe we should??  

I am starting to enjoy this lockdown, believe it or not.  Was a bit depressing at first, but now I have refocused and not watching so much news I am feeling a lot better.  Builds like yours are what helps me get through.

Looking really nice on that forward fuse and windows.  You will have a VERY unique model at the end of all of this!  Loving it

Anthony

Thanks Anthony! I'm not really spending too much time looking at the news. I'm looking at the positive of this in getting some much needed progress at the bench and I'm glad that it's providing some entertainment along the way :)

Another day of playing around trying to get the reluctant photon to print (slowly getting some improvements, but not what I should be getting) and fitting windows, but I do have a few pics to share...

I was challenged some time ago by Terry to make the cockpit windows moveable. On the previous effort, I really didn't know how I was going to do that, but the opportunity now presented itself:

VoNPpFi.jpg

HSh7ZL5.jpg

Not entirely accurate, but I had a convenient piece of aluminium strip that would hold the window in place.

AHpMohv.jpg

SDX0GOP.jpg

sT6TRdN.jpg

I put in an upper strip too to hold the window in place and yes, they are moveable!

I haven't used any polish on the windows yet, just sanded. But for now that's enough work on the clear parts (about 5 days worth!). Back to preparing the interior to reattach to the fuselage finally!

qiUu9Qo.jpg

Cheers,

Craig

5 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh that's a brilliant solution!  See there was a benefit to having the thickness of the walls  to work from!  Love it.

I am hoping to open the side windows of My HpH C-47 and 24th Mosquito in a similar fashion.  Even more so seeing your results...looks cool! 

Thanks mate! I'm sure you'll make a neater solution than me, but it can be done!

Craig

that nose section is so spot on I bet Boeing are jealous...

stunning work Craig and mastering transparencies is a skill I have yet to aquire - these look superb and belie all the hard work that must have gone into them

Personally the longer confinement lasts, at least, the longer we get to enjoy this kind of work :)

Peter

Criag,

A whole lot of work, but "#4-Forward" is really coming together nicely.

Never doubted you'd pull off the "sliding" window panel --- or anything else for that matter!

Now about those "spring loaded" oleo struts .....

Terry

On 4/9/2020 at 2:51 AM, JayW said:

Craig - uncommon how you can turn what looks like a mess into a miracle!  Over and over.

Thanks Jay! There's much more mess to come yet, as you'll see shortly....

On 4/9/2020 at 7:29 AM, airscale said:

that nose section is so spot on I bet Boeing are jealous...

stunning work Craig and mastering transparencies is a skill I have yet to aquire - these look superb and belie all the hard work that must have gone into them

Personally the longer confinement lasts, at least, the longer we get to enjoy this kind of work :)

Peter

Thanks very much Peter. I'm not saying I like doing them but I feel clear parts and I have developed an understanding......

On 4/10/2020 at 4:01 AM, TKB said:

Criag,

A whole lot of work, but "#4-Forward" is really coming together nicely.

Never doubted you'd pull off the "sliding" window panel --- or anything else for that matter!

Now about those "spring loaded" oleo struts .....

Terry

Not quite at the strut stage yet Terry, but I am looking at them ;) A few more "mundane" things to tick off first.....

I took the opportunity to make the floor (something I didn't do last time around) so I used my nose drawing in Rhino to print off some sections that would look the part, then lined them with styrene...

xmEgwVf.jpg

taeFYre.jpg

All lines up! So far so good :)

As much as there was plenty of work to do prior to reattaching the nose sections, there was a point at which practically needed to go back on. However, I did need to get a splash of colour onto a few areas...

gBk0Ujj.jpg

I also had a crack at making some "head lining" for the cockpit roof out of soft lead foil. I then embossed press stud shapes into and very gently painted it at the same time.

7FoN72R.jpg

qEj1cYJ.jpg

wR2jCpt.jpg

It's extremely delicate, so sticking it in permanently is going to be fun!

You'll recall that there's some pretty large gaps that will need filling and blending where the new nose joins the existing fuselage. I went about filling most of the gaps as best I could with little styrene "skin pins"

k2fS3xs.jpg

UHj0oWa.jpg

Then I filled the gaps using epoxy. These in turn were sanded flush once dry so I could see what I was dealing with....

7ExdKND.jpg

A pretty big step. Luckily, I had considerable wall thickness in my print to take away from, as well as building up some material inside incase I got a bit over zealous with my grinding.....

jNj6oZb.jpg

A lot of grinding later (and building up on the smaller side with putty) and this is where it's at right now. It needs sanding and more blending, but I think we're getting there!

HcmTbtE.jpg

So there you have it. About 3 weeks worth of work and I'm now almost back to where I started, with both nose sides reattached to the existing fuselage. The shape of the "face" definitely made it worth it, and no fingers or toes were lost in the process :)

And lastly...... 

Being new to New Zealand I'm slowly discovering things about the place, but when I saw this it just totally made my day!!!!!! 

Znx3nV6.jpg

wDhEUX2.jpg

How awesome is that? I don't even like beer but I HAD to have this. If that's not a sign I don't know what is!!!!

Cheers,

Craig

Amazing stuff - both the Fort and the beer :rolleyes:

The blending of the fuselage looks very successful - I know a LOT of time and effort will have gone into that process and I bet you're glad that's over...

The new nose really does look the part now - well worth the effort (and time). 

Are you going to skin the fuselage before adding the wings? I'm getting impatient and can't wait to see the surface details start going on!

All the best,

Tom

24 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Amazing stuff - both the Fort and the beer :rolleyes:

The blending of the fuselage looks very successful - I know a LOT of time and effort will have gone into that process and I bet you're glad that's over...

The new nose really does look the part now - well worth the effort (and time). 

Are you going to skin the fuselage before adding the wings? I'm getting impatient and can't wait to see the surface details start going on!

All the best,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Yes indeed, you of all people know how much it takes to blend in fuselage contours! Haha, yep I hear you! I'm as keen as you are to start the skinning process ( I actually toyed with the idea of putting some on the nose while I was working on it, but the fuselage really needs to be permanently together before I start with the skin pattern as it is). But that moment is now a little closer.....

Cheers,

Craig 

On 4/14/2020 at 8:57 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Hey mate...shifted to NZ!!!  Welcome buddy!

What part of the country did you shift too?  Oh, nice model progress by the way!

Cheers Anthony

The other Island mate, I'm near Palmy. Beautiful country! :)

A little more progress. Now that the heavy lifting has been redone, I can now get back to adding some much needed interior detail. Luckily I was able to transfer most of the stuff I'd added to the original nose:

nKgMzu2.jpg

I then made a start on adding some stuff on the right side. I'm in the process of building a new navigator's table and some other details. Getting good photos on early model noses in this area is quite hard. Usually there's the front and rear shots, which are dominated by the bombardier's chair.

10e3KEx.jpg

Feeling inspired after some lathe work my brother had been showing me, I finally got my own up and running and made the conical base that you see in a lot of early shots. Just playing around really, but it was good to do some lathe work.

K3OwhKE.jpg

I then added this to a seat I'd previously made but stole from the radio room ;)

WYHkOUo.jpg

Starting to look a little more lively now.

Cheers,

Craig