brahman104

HK B-17...C!!!!!!!! 4/9 drifting to the right

Hey Craig,

Good luck on the 3d prints, I just recently picked up a Photon as well, and have been getting good results with my prints (1/24 scale truck wheels).  If you were unaware, there is a very active, and knowledgable facebook group for the Photon printer, with lots of info for different types of resin.   

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnycubicPhoton/

I look forward to your prints and the rest of your build.

-kev

Craig,

Very nice work on the drawings.

You seem to have projects within projects to support your C/D Fort build.

WOW! It's going to be 4 years in December since you set out to build "something different" out of the HK B-17G, but it's been an enjoyable 4 years of watching your progress. When I look back at all the work you've put into her so far (not to mention your work interuptions) it's surprising you're as far along as you are!

Amazing where you talent and tenacity has brought your endeavor..

Terry

On 9/17/2018 at 12:25 AM, chilly said:

Hey Craig,

Good luck on the 3d prints, I just recently picked up a Photon as well, and have been getting good results with my prints (1/24 scale truck wheels).  If you were unaware, there is a very active, and knowledgable facebook group for the Photon printer, with lots of info for different types of resin.   

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AnycubicPhoton/

I look forward to your prints and the rest of your build.

-kev

Thanks Kev!

It does seem to be a machine with a lot of potential absolutely, but there's certainly a lot to consider in the setup of the prints. Cheers for the link, I'll be sure to have a look :)

20 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Very nice work on the drawings.

You seem to have projects within projects to support your C/D Fort build.

WOW! It's going to be 4 years in December since you set out to build "something different" out of the HK B-17G, but it's been an enjoyable 4 years of watching your progress. When I look back at all the work you've put into her so far (not to mention your work interuptions) it's surprising you're as far along as you are!

Amazing where you talent and tenacity has brought your endeavor..

Terry

4 years? Where has that time gone?! I'd better get a move on with it, since I've still got an E, F and when they're released, a B-24 and Lancaster to do! :) Thank you as always Terry for your constant interest, comment, support and dilligent research along the way. Speaking of which, how did you go with those drawings I sent you? Find any other details I should consider?

It certainly does seem like a whole heap of random mini projects..... hopefully one day they'll all combine to look like a B-17!

15 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Great work in 3D!

I'm really interested how the prints will look like.

:popcorn:

Juraj

Hi Juraj. Many thanks, see below for the results....

10 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Excellent work Craig!   This is turning out to be one hell of a project with a lot of extra work.   Looking forward to more! 

G'day Brian! Thank you! Yes it certainly is/has been, but you are well familiar with what a lot of work looks like to make a model of a plane you love :)

Soooo, how did the prints go?

Well, I did run into some issues with a few of the drawings, which meant that the slicer program for the printer didn't accept them. I'm hoping that Tim (Wunwinglow) can help me out and show me the errors of my ways so I can get them to print...

Anyway, I did end up printing the driftmeter, fuel pump and ferry tank. It took a few goes as I'm still becoming familiar with the intricacies of resin printing, and for the fuel tank, considering it's a big solid lump, I should have used the traditional printer..... Haha, every day's a school day ;)

TesLQOC.jpg

This is the driftmeter printed twice. In the first (left) the drawing had a "hole" in the top and middle part, which is why they are missing. As I said, I don't know why it doesn't like certain parts but hopefully I can work it out. For now, the easiest thing to do was to remove the offending bit and re-draw. That's not really a viable option for a few of the other drawings, but it did give me the result you see on the right. This is how they come straight out of the printer after curing with UV light.

mJiAzIp.jpg

These are the fuel pumps. I did a few as it's more efficient to print like this, especially if some of the bits break when you clean them up.

KXwwtNo.jpg

The ferry tank. The resin is quite easy to carve with a modelling knife, and should sand nicely, so even though this has lines present, they shouldn't be too much of an issue. Having said that, as a piece of solid resin, this is quite heavy, which also cause me issues during printing as the bed lost its level <_<

19NiesP.jpg

Here's the driftmeter with just the supports roughly removed. Not bad at all I reckon, even though the photo doesn't do it justice. Once it's painted it should look pretty good!

b6fOekb.jpg

And again. As you can see the little eye cup at the top came out a treat! :)

ZZfmCfA.jpg

And the fuel pump roughly cleaned up. The white residue I believe is a reaction of having washed the part in water, then methylated spirit during the cleanup, but I should be able to scrub that off with a stiff bristled brush.....

All in all, the machine holds much potential. Most of the errors I encountered during the printing were self-induced, and a I still have a lot to learn. But given the resolution of what CAN be printed, this should save me quite a bit of time in doing lots of minor details, especially in the nose and cockpit!

Cheers,

Craig

Nice Craig!

For Resin, I have had great luck with Phrozen ABS-like Gray.  I have noticed that the build plate leveling is Key, and then adding supports so there are non floating islands.

here is a Fan shroud test I did to see how small I can get holes.  This was Modeled in Maya, exported as an .STL

30901612008_e827c9249e_b.jpg

Oh my gosh, this is totally stunning! As chance would have it, I saw this video about the Photon yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrUQOYLoK0

And now I see your impressive results with this machine. I could not hold myself back, and 10 minutes ago, I ordered this printer for just 400 € :frantic:

Sometimes, I also have problems with some 3d-files, that look nice in the CAD software, but are not properly working in the slicing software. Sometimes, it helps when I load the files up to this online repair service:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Cheers

Alex

19 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Awesome stuff, Craig!

Kev

Thanks Kev! Yes it is very exciting the potential of what can be done with this little gem. As I said, it's not without its issues, but it's definitely the way to go for small detailed stuff!

15 hours ago, Trak-Tor said:

Now that looks very, very promising...

:popcorn:

Juraj

Oh yes Juraj, you should consider getting one post haste :)

8 hours ago, chilly said:

Nice Craig!

For Resin, I have had great luck with Phrozen ABS-like Gray.  I have noticed that the build plate leveling is Key, and then adding supports so there are non floating islands.

here is a Fan shroud test I did to see how small I can get holes.  This was Modeled in Maya, exported as an .STL

30901612008_e827c9249e_b.jpg

Wow Kev, that's an amazing print! Thanks for the heads up about the resin.... I've only used the proprietry stuff at the moment, but your results speak for themselves!

4 hours ago, AlexM said:

Oh my gosh, this is totally stunning! As chance would have it, I saw this video about the Photon yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YrUQOYLoK0

And now I see your impressive results with this machine. I could not hold myself back, and 10 minutes ago, I ordered this printer for just 400 € :frantic:

Sometimes, I also have problems with some 3d-files, that look nice in the CAD software, but are not properly working in the slicing software. Sometimes, it helps when I load the files up to this online repair service:

https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Cheers

Alex

Hahaha! Great move Alex! And I dare say with your 3D skills, you will be able to take this much further than I have :) Thanks for the link about netfab, I did have a bit of a poke around at it, but as it's not available for Mac as far as I can see I didn't pursue it.... still I might have another look!

Cheers,

Craig

wow that looks good Craig :)

I looked at thos CAD images & thought there is NO WAY all that complex detail & undercuts will come out in print, but there you go, they look awesome :)

It is such a versatile tool I think I really need to consider a full Rhino license and a printer of some sort. I have loads of parts for my P51 that I need to do so having seen this I think I need to bite the bullet and get some kit..

loving this whole build - it's wonderful to specate :)

TTFN
Peter

Craig,

All that comes to mind when I saw your prints was "Holy Crap!" Didn't believe the driftmeter eye cups and manual fuel transfer pump handle arm!

chilly ---- same goes for your fan shroud! Was that pic "as printed" or "post cleaned-up?"

FYI: Speaking of the fuel pump, when you get to hoses, check out electrical wire "shrinkable tube insulation". Really has the look of reinforced rubber hose. I've seen it in various diameters, lengths and colors. IIRC, that pump called for red hose to be used --- another small flash of color in the bomb bay.

This 3-D printing must be fun to experiment and toy around with. When I had a Mattell Vac-u-Form (eons ago when I was a kid), I couldn't stop forming parts and being amazed by being able to  make copies! I admit, I have no real understanding of all the different technical stuff you guys discuss (computer programs, Rhino, resins etc), but I am amazed by it all! As an "armchair modeler" I really enjoy seeing the results and am glad to be along for the ride!

The manuals/drawings ---- aren't to many days I don't bring up a couple and pour over them while I have my morning coffee! I love them --- even the ones I haven't quite figure out what the are or where they went! Many thanks. With the summer and all, I haven't been doing too much research since the "fuel tank access panel external stiffiners" stuff. Hope you were able to decipher all the labels and lines. I always find it amazing what you can find in a photo, when you are suddenly looking for something specific in it. Would't have thought those B-17C wreck photos would shed any light on thos "external stiffiners", but in that heap of wreckage ---- there they were! Just let me know if need anything to get me rolling again, but you don't miss much ---- you got the driftmeter type correct. Don't forget the telescope portion coming through a port in the skin; always seem to be visible at varying lengths.

9 hours ago, airscale said:

wow that looks good Craig :)

I looked at thos CAD images & thought there is NO WAY all that complex detail & undercuts will come out in print, but there you go, they look awesome :)

It is such a versatile tool I think I really need to consider a full Rhino license and a printer of some sort. I have loads of parts for my P51 that I need to do so having seen this I think I need to bite the bullet and get some kit..

loving this whole build - it's wonderful to specate :)

TTFN
Peter

Very true Peter! But after seeing a couple of youtube reviews and initial experiments with a 50% scaling of your wheel assembly that you sent me, I was confident the machine could give it a red hot go.

Honestly Peter, for the skills you have amassed with your trial experiences, I almost think you owe it to yourself to invest, particularly since they keep on upgrading it for you for free. I think it's an indespensable tool, but I know most people don't exactly have the means to just buy things like that. I would say with your skills though, it wouldn't be long before you'd be dispensing with the original kit altogether! :)

57 minutes ago, TKB said:

Craig,

All that comes to mind when I saw your prints was "Holy Crap!" Didn't believe the driftmeter eye cups and manual fuel transfer pump handle arm!

chilly ---- same goes for your fan shroud! Was that pic "as printed" or "post cleaned-up?"

FYI: Speaking of the fuel pump, when you get to hoses, check out electrical wire "shrinkable tube insulation". Really has the look of reinforced rubber hose. I've seen it in various diameters, lengths and colors. IIRC, that pump called for red hose to be used --- another small flash of color in the bomb bay.

This 3-D printing must be fun to experiment and toy around with. When I had a Mattell Vac-u-Form (eons ago when I was a kid), I couldn't stop forming parts and being amazed by being able to  make copies! I admit, I have no real understanding of all the different technical stuff you guys discuss (computer programs, Rhino, resins etc), but I am amazed by it all! As an "armchair modeler" I really enjoy seeing the results and am glad to be along for the ride!

The manuals/drawings ---- aren't to many days I don't bring up a couple and pour over them while I have my morning coffee! I love them --- even the ones I haven't quite figure out what the are or where they went! Many thanks. With the summer and all, I haven't been doing too much research since the "fuel tank access panel external stiffiners" stuff. Hope you were able to decipher all the labels and lines. I always find it amazing what you can find in a photo, when you are suddenly looking for something specific in it. Would't have thought those B-17C wreck photos would shed any light on thos "external stiffiners", but in that heap of wreckage ---- there they were! Just let me know if need anything to get me rolling again, but you don't miss much ---- you got the driftmeter type correct. Don't forget the telescope portion coming through a port in the skin; always seem to be visible at varying lengths.

Thanks Terry! I had thought about using the heat shrink tube as it does look good, and providing I shrink it away from the resin, it should be okay. I don't remember seeing any note about the red hose, but you usually notice the small stuff more than me :)

Yep, 3D printing certainly is exciting. One thing I'd like to try is replicating the de-ice tubing that runs under the cockpit floor. There's a picture of it in all those drawings I have and with the "pipe" making function of Rhino, it'll be very interesting to see where it goes! 

So anyway, remember how I said I had some issues with trying to print a few of the drawings? Well our resident Rhino 3D God, Wunwinglow (Tim), worked his magic and fixed up my errors. This is how they turned out.....

Today I did the centre pedestal and hydraulic tank, a couple of copies again just for good measure.....

9p4GmrJ.jpg

My new pedestal next to the top of the HK part. The HK part isn't bad, but the early model forts had some variations on the pedestal itself, namely the turbo control behind the mixture levers....

lJP2VxB.jpg

And straight out of the printer again..... you can see it will require a bit of clean up, although this may have been exascerbated by me hurrying to clean the excess resin off as I had to go out.... I'm printing another round now to see if it comes out any better....

XAJRoDF.jpg

Oh oh..... what's going on here? Looks like there may be a bit of a disconnect between my cockpit dimensions and the boeing drawings, which is not surprising, but perhaps I can rescale the item on 2 axes and have another go. (Interestingly, the width is the same as the original kit part). Oooooppsy!! :frantic:

jjD2Mt3.jpg

And lastly the hyd tank..... I have no reference for scale of this one except some highly blurred images from inside the Swoose, so clearly I've got this right.... :innocent:

H4D9JJ5.jpg

Anyway, that's what this is all about, lots of trial and error. Even as Peter said he's enjoying being a spectator, so am I in many respects as I wait for my little printer to do its thing!

Craig