HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

Congratulations! The proverbial "point of no return!"  You have reached a milestone, but yes you do indeed still have a lot of work ahead of you. We all look forward to the day you make your "She's finished!" post, but I for one will hate to see this trip come to an end --- until you start your next project, that is!

Bringing the fuselage permanently together ... probably as nerve wracking as when you "took the plunge" and made your first cuts on the fuselage back in 2014!  A whole lot of work and dedication, but you definitely "refined the face" and brought the fuselage full circle!

I'll bet you did a bit of "hand wringing" and "What have I missed?" before you committed to glue to plastic? I'm sure down the line you'll find tidbits that could have been added, but you've done a masterful job on the interior from the nose to the tail. Not just "busying up"  the areas, but doing it accurately along with excellent color coordination. As sad as it is that a lot of your work has been "entombed"  now, no matter where you can "peak into" her, there aren't going to be any barren areas. As great as the exterior of a model  may be, a bleak and lifeless interior has always been the "awkward silence"  of models ... to me anyway. Your work gives  the feel of "things are going on here."

You are one hell of a multi-talented artisan!

Terry

11 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Super.  Just super.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks so much Mark!

5 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Yay, it's together! This is a huge achievement, I'm sure you're very proud to have gotten to this point.

Matt 

Absolutely Matt! Thanks for being part of the journey so far!

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

YES!!!

On the home straight now, Craig :D

Tom

Hahaha! I wish Tom, but while it's definitely a lot closer, there a lot more to go yet!

3 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

Congratulations! The proverbial "point of no return!"  You have reached a milestone, but yes you do indeed still have a lot of work ahead of you. We all look forward to the day you make your "She's finished!" post, but I for one will hate to see this trip come to an end --- until you start your next project, that is!

Bringing the fuselage permanently together ... probably as nerve wracking as when you "took the plunge" and made your first cuts on the fuselage back in 2014!  A whole lot of work and dedication, but you definitely "refined the face" and brought the fuselage full circle!

I'll bet you did a bit of "hand wringing" and "What have I missed?" before you committed to glue to plastic? I'm sure down the line you'll find tidbits that could have been added, but you've done a masterful job on the interior from the nose to the tail. Not just "busying up"  the areas, but doing it accurately along with excellent color coordination. As sad as it is that a lot of your work has been "entombed"  now, no matter where you can "peak into" her, there aren't going to be any barren areas. As great as the exterior of a model  may be, a bleak and lifeless interior has always been the "awkward silence"  of models ... to me anyway. Your work gives  the feel of "things are going on here."

You are one hell of a multi-talented artisan!

Terry

Absolutely Terry! There was certainly more than a few moments of "what have I missed?" going on before the last close up. As you said, there will definitely be parts where I'll see something I've missed, but a project like this could go on forever; it's important to tie it off somewhere and stick to the game plan ;). I've made extra checks on the wiring to ensure that the interior is well lit, and spending an entire day cleaning the windows has certainly paid off now. Just gotta keep that dust out!

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Craig 

Seems like only yesterday I started to follow this Epic build. 7 years gone almost  and still following  with enthusiasm. 

:yahoo: :thumbsup:

PHENOMENAL  workmanship  Sir.

:bow:

:bow:

Thank you Maru! I certainly appreciate the support and encouragement you've given to me over the years. I definitely owe us all a finished fort!! :)

Cheers guys,

Craig

23 hours ago, JayW said:

GREAT milestone - the fuselage join.  And as per your genius - that mess is going to turn into a gem.  And eight years - alot has happened in this world the last eight years.  You and I - we are not afraid of long drawn out projects, are we.  

Hey Jay, thanks so much! I certainly hope I can turn the mess into a Gem! There's quite a lot riding on the exterior finish to achieve the overall look, but I'm certainly excited to at last be able to get to grips with it.

Yeah it's crazy to think what has happened in that time!

You are absolutely correct; lucky you and I are not in the business of commission modelling..... we'd either be broke or very rich!!! :rofl:

20 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Congrats on such a significant landmark in the build, Craig! Looking really good.

Kev

Many thanks Kev!!! You were the very first person to comment on this build :) thanks for sticking by me all these years!!!

I'm working on the installing the bathtub now, hopefully more pics to follow soon!

Craig

Did I ever mention I hate sanding? :) 

Despite my best efforts to mask any gap up, inevitably dust still got inside. Hopefully there's not too much and I can still remove most it at a later date....

Anyway, with most of the seams more or less level (doesn't have to be super smooth as it getting covered) I proceeded to install the bathtub. I didn't take too many in progress photos of the side windows, but they were cut down and filed/polished from a 6mm thick acrylic disc. Why 6mm? I had some laser cut material left over that was exactly the right diameter, so I cut the piece in two and made two windows. I'm sure there was a quicker/easier way, but that's me to a tee!

26/9

With a skin panel diagram of all the fuselage panels, I set about marking out by eye mostly the locations for each panel. I got it wrong a few times so that's the lines you see scribbled out.

Even though the diagram is good, it still pays to check back and forth between photos too. But it's a pretty good guide to work off; even though it doesn't have dimensions, you can sort of work it out based on how many segments there are, and of course thy run between fuselage stations, so that bit's easy!

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.31.05 pm

26/9

26/9

26/9

I've also been sorting out the tail fairings. These will need to be made larger in time, but for now it's good enough to the underlying panels to go on.

26/9

26/9

I believe next post we will finally see some skin panels being applied! Yay!

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 26/9 Pre-panel prep