HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

8 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Never doubted you for a second Craig!  Good work silling in that gap.

A nice map or chart would look perfect on that table. Or maybe a set of headphones.

Matt 

Looks like you had more faith in me than I did Matt! Just stoked it worked out though...... Thanks for the suggestions; maybe a chart of Formosa, for that mission that never was.....  

6 hours ago, cmayer said:

An apple. Deftly lifted from the chow hall early, early that morning.

Very possibly that too!

4 hours ago, Flight Line Media said:

So excited for you! I can't wait to see this project finished.

Thanks mate! After 8 years me either :)

Craig

14 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Another super update - a brain surgeon would have nothing on you!

How about a thermos and half-eaten sarnie on the table... complete with crumbs :)

Tom

Hahaha! Thanks Tom :) 

Now what kind of self-respecting aircraft commander would spill crumbs everywhere with a grumpy old crew chief to keep him line? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Craig,

I wish I could find some new descriptors to use for you and your work!

Every time I go back over the build, I just as astonished as I was the first time around! 

Thank you for that roll of "loo paper" --- took me a moment to figure that one out! All these "little things," like the tail wheel emergency crank extension, stowed entry ladder and maintenance platforms really add to the major components.

As large as the Fort was, all your compartments have captured how space was at a premium, better then original photos convey. Have you decided if you're still going with an auxiliary fuel tank in the bomb bay?

I like your idea of a map showing Formosa on the cockpit chart table ... some legitimate "almost" history. The apple --- how about a "tip of the hat" to the movie "Air Force?" Put it on the top of Radio Operator's (Petersen) radio set.

Outstanding work, Craig --- can't say it enough!

Terry

On 9/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, Kaeone57 said:

The fight is almost over!!! Knock 'em into tomorrow Rock!! 

Great backdate on that B-17. You got this..Do it, to it Bro!!

Alfonso

Thanks Alfonso! Yes the fight for the inside is almost done, the fight for the outside is about to begin :) 

12 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

I wish I could find some new descriptors to use for you and your work!

Every time I go back over the build, I just as astonished as I was the first time around! 

Thank you for that roll of "loo paper" --- took me a moment to figure that one out! All these "little things," like the tail wheel emergency crank extension, stowed entry ladder and maintenance platforms really add to the major components.

As large as the Fort was, all your compartments have captured how space was at a premium, better then original photos convey. Have you decided if you're still going with an auxiliary fuel tank in the bomb bay?

I like your idea of a map showing Formosa on the cockpit chart table ... some legitimate "almost" history. The apple --- how about a "tip of the hat" to the movie "Air Force?" Put it on the top of Radio Operator's (Petersen) radio set.

Outstanding work, Craig --- can't say it enough!

Terry

Hahah, you still find ways to do it though Terry! ;) Haha yes the loo paper, a much needed addition and fun to build actually. Very true, my wife was even remarking today how "busy" it is looking inside. I still do want to do the aux tank, but that can be added much later as will a few of the missing bomb bay details like the hyd tank and bomb racks.

Just looking for a suitable map I can scale down for Formosa, and see if I can find an apple the 3D print when I next do a run. I was definitely thinking the radio operator's table too!

Thanks again Terry for all your support :) 

Little more done today. Pretty much finished the cockpit with 4 microphone sets and jack boxes for each of the seats..... again very tricky to get in, but I didn't take any pics of them.

I did make the feathering and warning panel which sits above the main instrument panel and visible through the bottom of the windscreen, so worth adding some details to the rear. I only took pics before it was installed today, which rounded out the cockpit (apart from the map)

4/9

4/9

I'm now back in the nose section, finishing off the bombardier's control panel and chart clipboard. More pics to come when I've painted them :)

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 4/9 more last minute details

Craig,

Well, I for one picked up on your appropriate paraphrasing from the "Finest Hour" speech. I'm sure there are some amazing builds  "down the pike" for you, but your B-17C will most likely always be your "Finest Hour."  It's going to be a hard act to follow ... but you will.

You still have a lot of work ahead of you, but considering you have the "butchery" behind you, another Churchill quote comes to mind  "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Even us "colonials" recognize a great orator when we hear one!

The "apple" --- I guess it's a case of "great minds think alike!"

Terry

Thanks Terry! Churchill certainly was a fine orator, especially at a time when his country so badly needed one!

Pretty much the final details for the interior... Just had to install the bombardier's controls and checklist clipboard.

11/9

Then there was the issue of the small, but highly visible socket gun mounts.... I very gingerly drill and reamed a hole in the middle of the correct (yes I checked like a thousand times before drilling!) window on each side, then fashioned two discs in litho (one inner and one outer) The ball came from the HK barrels, which I removed the barrel sections, then very carefully drilled out the centre..... just another one on the long list of nerve wracking operations on this build!!!! ;) 

The ball was then sandwiched in between the two discs and there you have it. A small, but very noticeable addition. Interestingly enough, these are the very fist items of exterior detail on the fuselage! Must be nearly finished then :rofl::rofl::rofl:

11/9

11/9

11/9

11/9

It seems there isn't a socket joint in the top window on the C/D. That came out on the E, but I think had disappeared again on the F.

11/9

As you can see there's a lot of dust on the interior (you'd expect a little after 8 years!) that I need to clean out first, but otherwise the next installment should finally see the two halves joined! :punk::punk::punk:

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 12/9 more last minute details part 3

Thank you gentlemen! I can finally tell you that the line has at last moved!

Today, the fuselage sections permanently become one after 8 years in the making. 

Firstly though, a minor point to note for those playing along at home....... Turns out, there was actually a gun socket in the forward-most upper window (thanks for having my back as always Terry!) Always be careful about exactly which photos you are looking at ;) 

I also spent about a day re-polishing and cleaning windows (particularly the cockpit ones) as there was definitely no access once she's all closed up. 

18/9

Yes it looks horrible around the window and join now but it's just light curing resin that can be cleaned up afterwards. A combination of JB weld, superglue, styrene and resin and she's together as she'll ever be now! Couldn't resist adding the tail just to give an overall look...

18/9

18/9

18/9

18/9

To say I'm totally pumped that the build has hit this milestone is an massive understatement, but if you thought this project was coming to and end, well you're not rid of me just yet! :rofl: 

As you can see there's quite a lot of filling and shaping work to blend the tail surfaces into the fuselage (not to mention attaching the bathtub), and also a lot of seam work prior to marking out where all the panels are going and then getting my litho on, but it all about the small steps.

My B-17 actually had a social outing today. I visited a fellow modeler whose models adorn pretty much every bit of free space in another gentlemen's hangar, in which he keeps a C172. As he had already built a G model, it was an interesting photo to compare the two. I'll do this again at some point when there's a bit more progress, but it was interesting to see the difference in fuselage length between the two, with my C only slightly longer than a HK B-25J!

18/9

More to follow soon hopefully!

Cheers,

Craig (feeling quite chuffed)