HK B-17...C 11/2 progress resumes!

brahman104

This is fascinating stuff Craig. Very grateful to you for sharing your experiences. Interesting revelation regarding the orientation of the piece on the printer.

The work thus far looks extremely good. Keep it up and you'll be rewarded with a unique model at the finish.

Cheers.

This is fascinating stuff Craig. Very grateful to you for sharing your experiences. Interesting revelation regarding the orientation of the piece on the printer.

The work thus far looks extremely good. Keep it up and you'll be rewarded with a unique model at the finish.

Cheers.

Thanks Geedubelyer, I pretty much knew absolutely nothing about 3D printing when I brought it, but I'm starting to come to grips with what you can get away with and what you can't. Lots of trial and much more error!

There are a few other things that can bite you with this stuff too. For example, if you are trying to make a vertical, thin walled part (like most of mine, wall thickness 1.5mm) I found out to my frustration that you can get about half way through a print and the bottom can separate from the board, instantly throwing the piece out of position and ruining the print (there is no pause button once it starts, other than to turn it off and start again). This "raft separation" doesn't always happen, but I have found that if I build a solid wall (about 2-3mm) thick on the base of the part when vertical, kind of like a bulkhead in my case, then the part has a much greater surface area to cling onto the print bed and you can pretty much guarantee there won't be any separation. Then I just trim off the extra when I'm done. :)

I'm having an absolute blast with this build and learning so much at the same time! My imagination ran a little overboard the other day when I had the thought that if I could build myself a little CNC engraver, then I could design and cut out all sorts of shapes (like rear fuselage formers) in brass and pretty much just solder them together. Now wouldn't that be cool!

Dream on Craig, dream on.....

Sweet sweet build......watching this with great intrest!!!!!

Wow, truly remarkable work Craig! This is turning out to be another incredible build here within the hallowed halls of LSP! Wow again!

Cheers,

Wolf

This is great, pioneering work Craig. Would love to see more!

Kev

Thank you so much for your interest and comments guys! I'm far from being competent with this stuff, but if someone recognises it as a early B-17 at the end then I'll be more than happy!

Cheers,

Craig

Edit: If anyone wants to know more about the printing side of things don't hesitate to ask, I can reply with my worldly 3 weeks of experience!!!!! :)

Edited by brahman104

Well isnt THIS a sign of things to come!!!

Im sure you have already discussed this a bunch on this thread.......................and although I have minimal interest in the big Fort, I think this is really terrific modeling and something Id LOVE to get into one day......................What are you using for a printer?  I know Id love to invest in Rhino one day, but if the printer itself was even remotely in my price point, that too is something Id love to save up for.

TIA

Guest Peterpools

Craig

Astounding work for sure. For someone in their mid sixties (67 to be exact) I find truly amazing and way beyond my abilities with a computer.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Well isnt THIS a sign of things to come!!!

Im sure you have already discussed this a bunch on this thread.......................and although I have minimal interest in the big Fort, I think this is really terrific modeling and something Id LOVE to get into one day......................What are you using for a printer?  I know Id love to invest in Rhino one day, but if the printer itself was even remotely in my price point, that too is something Id love to save up for.

TIA

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments! I have an Up Mini Printer. It's a fully enclosed bench top unit (about the size of an expresso machine) that is USB driven and can be used with either PC or MAC. As long as you can design something on a program that will export a .stl file, the machine will accept and print it. The print area on my machine is 120mm x 120mm x 120mm and uses ABS as the filament.

Mine came with a 0.5kg roll and I've still got about a quarter of that left after doing this and a few other things. When I was looking around the Up Mini seemed to be one of the most professional looking "entry level" machines and it only took me about an 30 minutes from opening the box to first print. It also was among the cheapest that I found, and I got mine with free postage for $725 AUD.

The print resolution, which obviously dictates how much "grain" you see on the finished print (hard to see in my photos) is 0.2mm, which seems to be pretty standard for this size machine, if you want better resolution, the price seems to climb rather quickly.

The machine and indeed this type of process certainly has limitations and is not the be all and end all, but for the rapid creation of solid shapes to me it's worth its weight in gold!

They are definitely becoming more common and affordable for the masses, but if you are considering getting one, have a good hunt around, I'm sure the market would be much bigger in the states.

Cheers, Craig

Craig

Astounding work for sure. For someone in their mid sixties (67 to be exact) I find truly amazing and way beyond my abilities with a computer.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! I wouldn't say that using this type of technology is beyond your abilities. Certainly if you can work your way around photoshop and programs like that then you'd definitely be able to use something like sketch-up for a start. Rhino is a lot more complex, but once you get a few key concepts down and start thinking the same way it does, then to produce fairly basic shapes like I have is not really that hard. There are of course many, many functions and capabilities of Rhino that I will never understand or use, but as long as I can do something like a fuselage, well that's good enough for me!

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments! I have an Up Mini Printer. It's a fully enclosed bench top unit (about the size of an expresso machine) that is USB driven and can be used with either PC or MAC. As long as you can design something on a program that will export a .stl file, the machine will accept and print it. The print area on my machine is 120mm x 120mm x 120mm and uses ABS as the filament.

Mine came with a 0.5kg roll and I've still got about a quarter of that left after doing this and a few other things. When I was looking around the Up Mini seemed to be one of the most professional looking "entry level" machines and it only took me about an 30 minutes from opening the box to first print. It also was among the cheapest that I found, and I got mine with free postage for $725 AUD.

The print resolution, which obviously dictates how much "grain" you see on the finished print (hard to see in my photos) is 0.2mm, which seems to be pretty standard for this size machine, if you want better resolution, the price seems to climb rather quickly.

The machine and indeed this type of process certainly has limitations and is not the be all and end all, but for the rapid creation of solid shapes to me it's worth its weight in gold!

They are definitely becoming more common and affordable for the masses, but if you are considering getting one, have a good hunt around, I'm sure the market would be much bigger in the states.

Cheers, Craig

Thanks!  Just the kind of info a 3D print newb needed

Craig - I have to say this is astonishing work - really pioneering..

I love so many things about it - the goal; an early B17 and an ambitious conversion, the approach; leading edge technology (or is that bleeding edge :coolio: ), the execution; trying and adapting, the honesty & transparency; you just tell it how you do it, and how you openly encourage people to try it too

such a refreshing and inspiring thread ...

..she is also going to be a very unique looking bird and I suspect the only D model for a while yet ..

..bravo..

Peter

Craig - I have to say this is astonishing work - really pioneering..

I love so many things about it - the goal; an early B17 and an ambitious conversion, the approach; leading edge technology (or is that bleeding edge :coolio: ), the execution; trying and adapting, the honesty & transparency; you just tell it how you do it, and how you openly encourage people to try it too

such a refreshing and inspiring thread ...

..she is also going to be a very unique looking bird and I suspect the only D model for a while yet ..

..bravo..

Peter

Hahaha, bleeding edge! At times it may very well be just that!

Thank you so much Peter! I have to say the main inspiration for this project has come from watching your tiger cat come alive. Your efforts, and many others on this site continue to inspire me to push my modelling abilities to the edge. With your endless raising of the bar, I guess you've made a few of us want to go that step further and try something, maybe even a little reckless, that we may not otherwise have done.

It's so good that we're all learning things off each other on here... let the show go on! :)