HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Your work is magnificent! But I do have a question. In the photos that show the lights on; is the light that bright blue-white? If so, a thin coat of clear yellow/orange could turn the light a more vintage incandescent warm light. 

18 hours ago, wpierson said:

Your work is magnificent! But I do have a question. In the photos that show the lights on; is the light that bright blue-white? If so, a thin coat of clear yellow/orange could turn the light a more vintage incandescent warm light. 

Thanks mate,

It might be the camera/lighting which I took the photos with that makes it look worse, but most of the lighting has the nice yellow hue you're talking about already. I possibly might have to tweak the main cabin entrance door one slightly using what you're suggested though. Thank you! :)

More photos....

I was in the shed when it was a little darker last night so took a few more. I really like how it's looking now I've got all the lights done. It kind of has that "kodachrome" look to it with the dark greens and yellows in the cockpit and nose ;)

fNsrH6u.jpg

xkXGDXv.jpg

tIbkcJb.jpg

OaaoorS.jpg

R4fgGVS.jpg

xebyvXL.jpg

6aNTkyY.jpg

Rv81nBR.jpg

As you can see there is a difference between the two LEDs, although as wpierson suggested, I'll tone the entry door one down a little :) 

Cleaning up the wiring takes a bit of effort as they want to go anywhere BUT where you want them to go, but I'm making progress. All 8 LEDs are now fitted and working, so soon I'll be able to get stuck back into the waist area.

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 10/11 mood lighting

Craig,

Your wing panels are looking spectacular. On a 1/32 Fort raised rivets and panel overlaps are the only way to capture the "look," but it sure takes a lot of time and patience.

The lighting looks great as well as totally realistic. I'm sure seeing it "in the flesh" looks even better. It's going to go a long way towards your interior work not getting "lost in the depths." Once you button her up, we may have to crane our necks to look in at just the right angle, but it'll all be there to be seen!

You, and others like you, have taken modeling to a true art form. I can only imagine what your "finished product" would look like if you were handed and old '50s Revell or Lindberg kit and told to "have at it."

Keep it up, Craig. Your inspiring a lot of modellers not to "settle" for less then they want in their model!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 9:18 PM, TKB said:

Craig,

Your wing panels are looking spectacular. On a 1/32 Fort raised rivets and panel overlaps are the only way to capture the "look," but it sure takes a lot of time and patience.

The lighting looks great as well as totally realistic. I'm sure seeing it "in the flesh" looks even better. It's going to go a long way towards your interior work not getting "lost in the depths." Once you button her up, we may have to crane our necks to look in at just the right angle, but it'll all be there to be seen!

You, and others like you, have taken modeling to a true art form. I can only imagine what your "finished product" would look like if you were handed and old '50s Revell or Lindberg kit and told to "have at it."

Keep it up, Craig. Your inspiring a lot of modellers not to "settle" for less then they want in their model!

Terry

Thanks Terry! Yes after much much procrastination the lights do look good, I'm just hoping that they'll continue to work once I've committed to closing the fuselage up once and for all!!! I had that happen on my chinook build a few years ago, but then again I was using light bulbs, not LEDs!

Time to get the rear fuselage moving along. I had long looked at the walkway areas, particularly around the bathtub and wondered how I was going to work that out...

cDXB5gW.jpg

Like so many aspects of this build I defaulted to the trusty calibrated eyeball and got it sorted. I began with a styrene floor, covered in 400 grit sandpaper and lined on the outside by litho. 

mdEkTyX.jpg

There's still a few dimensional errors around the bathtub/floor height, but not having great information on this area, it looks close enough for most to work out what it is I think!

hQsDgX3.jpg

I also added the padding which you can see from below....

lYgi1Hr.jpg

Now having finally made a start again on the area, I was on a roll.... Next up were the gunners steps. Due to the angle of all photos of this area, it is very hard to tell their dimensions, but I think I got it reasonably close. I also made these out a single piece of litho, as for some reason I felt like challenging myself to some metal origami :)

Yk247WI.jpg

As always, the second one worked better, but I think they both look the part more or less...

7b8dCix.jpg

The ugly looking hacks in the back of the closest one are to give clearance for the formers on the other side when the fuselage comes together. Hopefully I've got them in the right spot; it's very difficult to measure something inside the fuselage with both sides together!!!!

zIQazfP.jpg

IzivNGI.jpg

KVubxnR.jpg

And definitely worthwhile with the big waist windows!

2BAJ182.jpg

Next up I'll be playing with some gun mounts and the racks for the spare ammo cans aft of the steps. It's getting busier finally! :)

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 23/11 In the rear with the gear

Craig,

Everything in the waist looks porportional. The only way it might possibly be off is if someone in 1/32 scale was to climb in and nit-pick! The "cavernous" waist section is really starting to "fill out."

Since your going to start on the gun mounts, don't forget about that "beam" that ran below the waist gun openings that was added to the C and D. Just one of my friendly reminders. Those would be a nice candidate for a "splash" of bronze green.

Terry