HK B-17...C 11/2 progress resumes!

brahman104

Craig,

Really some fantastic metalwork on the "bathtub --- not to mention ingeneous planning! You have your own "think tank" going on in your head!

"Your" bathtub photos, with the fuselage structure in the background are looking like they came out of a manual or from the on-line photos of the "Swoose" replica bathtub --- except yours are sharper and clearer!

The cushion sculping came out fine; I'd tone down the wash in the creases and buttons just a tad. Looks a little to high contast. Might just be to much shine. Just my taste, though. Bottom line is it looks like a cushion and not a "slab."

Keep it up, Craig. That light at the end of the tunnel gets closer and closer. Once you get her finished, everyone who hasn't followed along here is going to be asking who put out the B-17C kit and where can I order one!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 6:47 PM, Gazzas said:

Amazing, Craig!  Just loving this build.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz! :)

On 4/30/2019 at 7:48 PM, DeanKB said:

Bloody hell.

Cheers mate! :)

On 5/1/2019 at 4:25 AM, Chek said:

Very nice work but at the same time with all that light guage metal, you wouldn't want to be up in one of those if someone was cross with you and trying to do something about it.

Ain't that the truth Chek! There was some rudimentary armour plates installed at various locations, but it wouldn't have done much against a zero's 20mm. Psychological at best!

On 5/1/2019 at 6:45 AM, TKB said:

Craig,

Really some fantastic metalwork on the "bathtub --- not to mention ingeneous planning! You have your own "think tank" going on in your head!

"Your" bathtub photos, with the fuselage structure in the background are looking like they came out of a manual or from the on-line photos of the "Swoose" replica bathtub --- except yours are sharper and clearer!

The cushion sculping came out fine; I'd tone down the wash in the creases and buttons just a tad. Looks a little to high contast. Might just be to much shine. Just my taste, though. Bottom line is it looks like a cushion and not a "slab."

Keep it up, Craig. That light at the end of the tunnel gets closer and closer. Once you get her finished, everyone who hasn't followed along here is going to be asking who put out the B-17C kit and where can I order one!

Terry

Thanks Terry, agreed about the cushion. I'll tidy that up a bit later on.... still got a while before that gets attached permanently!

On 5/16/2019 at 2:39 AM, tomprobert said:

I haven’t checked in for a while, Craig. There are some serious skills on show here and your metal work is exquisite. I really enjoyed catching up. 

Tom

Always a pleasure Tom! I still don't know how you do what you do with the vacform kits, and where on earth are you going to put a Sunderland when you're done!?

With all the discussion and research on the E/F correction, there's been very little time to lavish on my first love. She sits patiently on the bench waiting for me....... I did finally find the time to do some "contributary" work towards the project though!

In order to begin "fitting out" the rear fuselage, I needed a lot of oxygen bottles and ammo cans, both big and small. You may recall that a while ago (probably two years) I made some masters of each and resin copies, but I was never really happy with them (air bubbles, warpage etc). Ever since I brought the photon, it had brought to light just how poor my CAD work was; I thought I'd made an amazing drawing, only to have half of it "disappear" when I brought it into the print setup page! Very disheartening I can tell you!

Tim (Wunwinglow) had done his best to explain why my drawings sucked, but I still couldn't understand why they didn't work, which then kind of put me off trying to do detail parts for a while. Anyway, an enforced break is good for the mind so coming back into it, I was determined to get on top of this Rhino stuff. The light bulb moment came when in one line of a youtube tutorial the dude mentioned the command Select Open Surfaces or "SelOpenSrf." I'd seen all sorts of other tutorials about things like "manifold" and "non-manifold" edges, but for a simpleton like myself with no formal CAD training, none of this made any sense. Anyway I used the command and bang! Had it sorted in no time!  :yahoo:

Still got lots of little errors to work on, but I am getter better. Anyway, here's what you're all reading this for:

6W37Hh8.png

Yeah it's not 100%, but at the size it is (4.5mm wide) even the photon will struggle with any crazy amount of surface detail, so I stuck to the basics.

While I was at it, I also made the tall one for the radio room and bathtub guns (and these are good for the E/F too!)

ls6kt4D.png

I then made some oxy bottles, and put them all on the bed ready to print.

ZT3gEp1.png

Just over 2 hours later.....

JvtwFUL.jpg

tBkzyjl.jpg

WhJcXNh.jpg

Fr7ujjr.jpg

I also compared these with the one I made a while ago (the new ones were made from factory drawings, as opposed to comparing pictures like I did last time)

uu5amfJ.jpg

Probably just as well I redid them!

durH0Xq.jpg

8oMweTl.jpg?1

As you can see, the oxy bottles aren't quite smooth, but at least they're round and aren't riddled with air bubbles! :)

7pvkY4z.jpg?1

i2QhJIF.jpg

Given my recent success with understanding Rhino better and the results here, I'll continue to make the myriad of little fittings that need to go throughout the fuselage, especially the oxy panels and intercom boxes.

I leave for a big trip to the US in a few days where I'll be visiting the MOF in Seattle, Desert Rat in Illinois and the cherry on top: A ride in EAA's Aluminium Overcast at Oshkosh!!!!! :punk::punk::punk::punk:

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

This is truly Amazing work you're doing here.. 

I am TOTALLY flabbergasted! :o

You are working this with every tool in the arsenal.

Keep up the Excellent work ! 

Pip

Edited by Piprm

16 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Looks good so far - looks like the resolution was rather low when you converted your 3D drawings into STL format. 

Hi Ben, thanks! I still have a lot to learn with this. Are you talking about when I first exported from Rhino or changing printing resolution in the photon? I'm not really sure about either process, so any pointers you have would be much appreciated! :)

15 hours ago, Piprm said:

Craig,

This is truly Amazing work you're doing here.. 

I am TOTALLY flabbergasted! :o

You are working this with every tool in the arsenal.

Keep up the Excellent work ! 

Pip

Thanks very much Pip! Yep, certainly redefining my modelling limits with this one, definitely made possible by access to things like 3D modelling and laser cutting :)

9 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice work man!  I can see even at lower resolution this could be invaluably helpful to modeling. Someday a 3D printer will be on my to purchase list.

Model on! 

Thanks Brian! I think you owe it to yourself, you won't be disappointed!

When you first exported from Rhino! I do not have experience with Rhino, but when you export parts from Inventor and have the STL resolution turned to 'low', my parts look like yours. Check if there are any options when you export your part to STL and if so, check if you can turn the export resolution to 'high'.

7 hours ago, BauAir said:

but now the most important question:

Which 3D-printer did You use ???

The prints look perfect

G'day mate, thanks for looking in on the build! I've mentioned it a few times throughout the thread but I'm using the Anycubic Photon, as quite a few of the other guys here are too.

Cheers,

Craig