HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting - the mod to the outer nacelles really does make the difference and I think you've captured the look of the early Fort really well. 

I find with my longer projects that you work away at lots of little mini-kits in themselves and suddenly when it all comes together like this, it's so good for the mojo. Although the end is still clearly a long way off, it's moments like this that make you realise that one day, it'll be finished.

Love it!

Tom

Craig,

HOLY !@%&^*#$ Crap --- "IT'S ALIVE!"  She may be a "Frankenstein" B-17 ... but only in the best of ways!

You must feel like a newborn's father!

For someone who wanted to "capture the face" of the B-17, you sure brought the whole package home! The shapes and the stance are all there --- you nailed it! You going with the HK "E" nose piece or the one you made totally fro scratch?

The sad part of it for you 1/32 guys, you're never going to see a 1/32 injected kit of an "early" Fort. Craig's "C" would be the benchmark any manufacturer would be held to ... so why would they even bother! You want an "sharkfin" B-17 --- start at page 1 and start building!

Terry

Hi Craig,

You don’t know me. My post count here is in single digits. I’d say I’m a novice in this hobby except that would insult novices the world over. 
I just discovered this build today and have most of the day trying to Evelyn Wood speed read through all of it. Turns out speed reading doesn’t help with gawking at photos and it certainly doesn’t help with repeatedly having to clean drool from the screen of my phone. As I said, I’m a novice, but I’d like to see if I have the gist of how you got here over the years. 
1: Buy what most consider a pretty expensive kit. 
2: Obtain advanced degrees in mechanical, structural and electrical engineering. 
3: Open the box of previously mentioned kit. Fondle the styrene for a while. 
4: Throw roughly 85% of the kit in the bin. 

5: Teach yourself how to use 3D software (advanced degree #4)

6: Begin designing and printing custom parts to replace parts already in the bin. 
7: Buy new 3D printer which is the size of a recliner. 
8: Begin replacing previously printed parts with better versions from new printer. 
9: Buy a laser cutter, learn Chinese, reprogram laser cutter in English. 
10: Teach yourself how to tig weld, because why not?

11: Having completed a really nice cockpit, throw it away and start over. 
12: Throw away custom nose area and start over. 
13: I think you took shortcuts on the engines. I fully expected them to actually start and run. But hey…

I could go on forever. Suffice it to say that this project takes modeling to a level I never imagined possible!  I can’t wait to see it finished. Thanks for taking us all on one heck of a ride!

On 6/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Crikey that's a monster! And a monster of a project, too, Craig. Congrats on getting this far with your sanity apparently still intact.

Kev

It sure is Kev! I think in all honesty it's the "enforced breaks" that life throws in that help with the sanity part! Truth is, when you've got a subject you really love, it's easy to keep coming back to it.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:50 PM, dennismcc said:

Looks like an early B17 to me, especially the first photo, so for me you have achieved the look.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

On 6/19/2021 at 10:57 PM, tomprobert said:

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting - the mod to the outer nacelles really does make the difference and I think you've captured the look of the early Fort really well. 

I find with my longer projects that you work away at lots of little mini-kits in themselves and suddenly when it all comes together like this, it's so good for the mojo. Although the end is still clearly a long way off, it's moments like this that make you realise that one day, it'll be finished.

Love it!

Tom

Absolutely Tom! You know this better than anyone with all your epic builds ;) Glad you like the outer nacelle mods.

On 6/20/2021 at 1:27 AM, Troy Molitor said:

Now that's a handsome looking early B-17.  Congrats and keep them coming.  :popcorn:

Thanks very much Troy!

On 6/20/2021 at 4:25 AM, Landrotten Highlander said:

paint pots? what paint pots?

One bl******g large and Be. A. Utiful model.

Hahaha! Cheers mate :)

On 6/20/2021 at 5:34 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

Ok now that’s pretty cool.

well done!

cheers

P

Thanks Pete, still got plenty to go!

On 6/20/2021 at 5:37 AM, scvrobeson said:

It's truly coming together now!  Awesome update!

Matt 

Thanks Matt, definitely worth a little pause to celebrate!

23 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Without doubt you have captured the 'look' of an early B-17!!  Absolutely beautiful...is an understatement!

Thanks Anthony! If you ever find yourself on the North Island feel free to come check it out :)

16 hours ago, TKB said:

Craig,

HOLY !@%&^*#$ Crap --- "IT'S ALIVE!"  She may be a "Frankenstein" B-17 ... but only in the best of ways!

You must feel like a newborn's father!

For someone who wanted to "capture the face" of the B-17, you sure brought the whole package home! The shapes and the stance are all there --- you nailed it! You going with the HK "E" nose piece or the one you made totally fro scratch?

The sad part of it for you 1/32 guys, you're never going to see a 1/32 injected kit of an "early" Fort. Craig's "C" would be the benchmark any manufacturer would be held to ... so why would they even bother! You want an "sharkfin" B-17 --- start at page 1 and start building!

Terry

Yep, gotta say I was buzzing all weekend Terry! ;) Unfortunately with the redesigned nose, my original scratchbuilt effort is too big to fit. Amusingly, HK actually got the dimensions pretty much right on the kit glass......who'dve thunk it? Still it was an interesting exercise an it taught me a lot about vac forming, brass work and swearing :) 

16 hours ago, P_Aybara said:

Hi Craig,

You don’t know me. My post count here is in single digits. I’d say I’m a novice in this hobby except that would insult novices the world over. 
I just discovered this build today and have most of the day trying to Evelyn Wood speed read through all of it. Turns out speed reading doesn’t help with gawking at photos and it certainly doesn’t help with repeatedly having to clean drool from the screen of my phone. As I said, I’m a novice, but I’d like to see if I have the gist of how you got here over the years. 
1: Buy what most consider a pretty expensive kit. 
2: Obtain advanced degrees in mechanical, structural and electrical engineering. 
3: Open the box of previously mentioned kit. Fondle the styrene for a while. 
4: Throw roughly 85% of the kit in the bin. 

5: Teach yourself how to use 3D software (advanced degree #4)

6: Begin designing and printing custom parts to replace parts already in the bin. 
7: Buy new 3D printer which is the size of a recliner. 
8: Begin replacing previously printed parts with better versions from new printer. 
9: Buy a laser cutter, learn Chinese, reprogram laser cutter in English. 
10: Teach yourself how to tig weld, because why not?

11: Having completed a really nice cockpit, throw it away and start over. 
12: Throw away custom nose area and start over. 
13: I think you took shortcuts on the engines. I fully expected them to actually start and run. But hey…

I could go on forever. Suffice it to say that this project takes modeling to a level I never imagined possible!  I can’t wait to see it finished. Thanks for taking us all on one heck of a ride!

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Man your post has me in stitches!!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:. You have absolutely NAILED a summary of this build. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and post here :) Glad your enjoying the journey; it's a wild ride, especially when you throw away the steering wheel ;) 

Thanks so much for all the great words of encouragement guys!!!! I've had a blast on this one so far..... thanks for coming along!

Craig

just so awesome - it looks sooo right

i think what you have done is remarkable Craig, in talent, ambition, determination, resourcefulness, creativity and a million other nouns..

the upshot is, you nailed it!

I feel your pride - getting her on her wheels is one of THE moments in this (and any other) build :)

Peter