HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Awesome update Craig!  Really like the dedication to getting it correct, and the tiny changes for a C model.

Looking at the picture, it looks like the axle has a bit more of a flat plate on the front side.  Not to be a bother, but is that something applicable to a different model?  I may not be explaining it well, it's at the bottom of the red circle on your picture.

Matt 

With the landing gear more or less finished for now, it was high time I got back to the main event.

Like pretty much everything on the build, I'd been procrastinating over how to do the ammunition can installations in the rear fuselage. Luckily, about 3 years ago I'd printed a whole heap of them, so it was really a case of making somewhere to put them.

Like some many things on the early forts, even the can holders themselves were works of art and pure craftsmanship; definitely not sustainable during war production times! Likewise, if I were disciplined enough to try and build these in metal too, I'd be extending this build by another 3 years! I had all manner of fancy metallic paints lying around, so I thought it'd produce a little variation to the interior to have some slightly different tones.... I'll let the photos do the talking :) 

12/6

Still got an ugly glue blob to hide, but it's in for now. I also did the other side, and the longer cans for the radio room and bathtub guns that get stowed opposite the entry door. While I was at it, I finally got around to mounting the oxygen bottles. All of sudden, the interior is looking much more businesslike! :)

12/6

12/6

12/6

It did achieve the aim of some tonal variation, but there's definitely no substitute for real metal!

Lot's more to do, but it's definitely given me a good kickstart back into the interior. 

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 13/6 buckets of bullets.

Craig,

Those photos do a whole lot of talking!

You don't just "talk the talk" -- you positively do "walk the walk!"

Not just the ammo cans (great work) .... the whole interior!

Your O2 tanks definitely look so much better then if you used the kit ones!

Terry

Thanks heaps for the encouragement guys! Really keeps me going and for now I'm on a bit of a roll finally.

Big news this week; I finally got around to pouring the second half of my outboard nacelle mold for the RH wing. I did the first half over a year ago and then ran out of silicone, but it's finally done, which meant I could take the master and finally join the RH wing together! :punk::punk::punk: This in turn meant a MASSIVE milestone, which I'll come to in a minute....

Why did I do this? Like the Left wing, HK made the outboard nacelles sit too high on the wing; it's a massive effort to correct them as you pretty much have to build a whole new nacelle (twice), but in my mind totally worth the detour. Especially considering my main goal here is trying to get "the look" right.

This is what it looked like once I glued the new section into the wing.... super messy but it'll buff out :innocent:. I spent the rest of the day filing and removing all the raised detail off the wings in preparation of the aluminium skin, whenever I get around to doing that :)

19/6

19/6

What did all that mean? It meant I couldn't resist the urge to do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19/6

Yep, that's right folks..... 7 and a half YEARS to get to this point, but this is the first time she's sat on her legs with most of the major components together. It actually looks like a plane, but holy crap it is big!!!! 

Needless to say I am PUMPED!!!! Obviously note the wings are not properly located at the moment (the lock tabs are binding somewhere) and the landing gear is only sitting in position along with everything else but it was totally worth doing just to share this with you. 

19/6

Sorry about the paint pots in this photo, they're the only things keeping the wing up as I can't lock it in at the moment....

19/6

19/6

19/6

19/6

19/6

So what's the consensus? Did I achieve "the look?" B) To me it certainly has that "lighter" look that the early models did without the top and ball turrets so I'm pretty stoked.... really need to crack on and get that fuselage sealed up once and for all, but don't expect that this build is nearing the end.......

That first pic definitely illustrates how little of the HK kit there is left now!

Cheers,

Craig

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 19/6 an epic milestone!!!!!!