HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

If you want to saw through the RTV casting, I'd put in the deep-freeze compartment of the fridge for at least 24 hours first. This should harden it enough to make the cuts easier.

As Rich has pointed out, the sections being constant, you have the template already, by using one extremity... As for the 'roof' your molding has its limit pretty well defined already, IMHO. Just need to cut out the dorsal fairing shape from the former ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hi Hubert,

Excellent suggestion about putting the RTV in the freezer! I would have never thought of doing that :) 

You are also absolutely 100% correct about having the "roof" height already on the end..... can't believe I missed that, but thank you very much for post your reply before I did it again and achieved nothing more than some cured RTV!

Much appreciated mate!

Craig

If you want to saw through the RTV casting, I'd put in the deep-freeze compartment of the fridge for at least 24 hours first. This should harden it enough to make the fûts easier.

As Rich has pointed out, the sections being constant, you have the template already, by using one extremity... As for the 'roof' your molding has its limit pretty well defined already, IMHO. Just need to cut out the dorsal fairing shape from the former ...

Hubert

Hubert beat me to it.

Hi - glad you got the gist of what I was saying!

Actually, I did forget about the life raft compartment.  I have some nice shots of the interior that I used for my 'G' build if you need them - I can't imagine that area will have changed much throughout the Fortress's lifespan

plus I have a million shots of the bomb bay...

Edited by richdlc

Hi - glad you got the gist of what I was saying!

Actually, I did forget about the life raft compartment.  I have some nice shots of the interior that I used for my 'G' build if you need them - I can't imagine that area will have changed much throughout the Fortress's lifespan

plus I have a million shots of the bomb bay...

Thanks Rich! While I'm probably not going to worry about the lift raft bins, I definitely could use some more pics of the bomb bay! I'll PM you mate if that's easier?

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Craig

TBH it will be easier just to check this thread out, which is where I found the vast majority of my pics. You'll have to trawl through quite a few pages, but once you find the images it will be well worth it - in fact you could spend hours looking through this...

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=40406

Craig,

OK, now that I understand your game plan all I can say is ---- that's one heck of a undertaking!

On the other hand, you seem to be at home with challenges. Your work obviously shows that you are up to the task .

I count ten frame members between Bulkhead #4 and #5 and a whole lot of stringers; you plan on using a jig to keep it all aligned?

This is a day late and a dollar short, being you have #4 and #5 attached to the fuselage half.

What if you scrape down the raised detail on the bomb bay side of each bulkhead to a more or less smooth surface. Then you could make new bulkheads (detail only on the bomb bay side) for your "skeleton". This might give you some added strength and stability, compared to an "open ended" insert. When the time comes, hopefully, the smooth sides of the 4 "bulkhead halves" can be slide together and glued. The 4 "bulkhead halves" wouldn't be true halves, but close enough to again "fool the eye", when viewed through the bombay.

It's your call, but reconsider the life raft compartments; just think you'll be kicking yourself later. You're already into this project big time and they wouldn't take much work, even to hinge the hatches. Your Fort's going to be an eye catcher; the stored "packaged" yellow life raft  with connecting lanyard attached to the hatch would add another point of interest to an already interesting model! The way you work, the life rafts would probably unfold and inflate.  Just my 2 cents worth.

Terry

G'day Terry,

Thanks as always for your interest, encouragement and excellent suggestions! Yes it is true, I have an unparalleled knack for finding the hardest way of doing something without even trying. That being said, I have dreamed of being able to make my own photo etch for a long time and with so many new concepts and techniques being tried on this build, one more surely can't hurt and can only pay off for future pursuits.... if I can get it to work  :hmmm:

As I think about the process, you are totally correct in that a jig will be essential with all those fairly flimsy parts to attach.... I'm hoping to solder most of it together for strength. My plan is to begin with the large braces that run longitudinally in the centre, left and right sides of the bomb bay. 

I am happy to report that while the bulkhead directly aft of the cockpit is permanently fitted, the aft one is not. I had just last night begun thinking of the possibility of removing the raised detail on those for that exact reason. Given that you suggested it independently of me, it hints at the possibility it may be a viable option and this would certainly make things a lot easier to remove and install for test fitting. 

I'm now on the lookout for some kind of program with which I can make the "artwork" when I get the template shape sorted out so I can transfer it to the brass for etching. That seems to be the hardest part.

As always, no guarantee of success, but it will sure be fun trying!

Craig

p.s. oh yes noted about the lift raft compartments. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to include them, but making them inflate..... well that might be something I can try when I build the E model!  :frantic:

Edited by brahman104

Craig,

I've followed numerous WIP builds before, but yours has really hooked me.

It's not just the subject, a early  B-17, but the skills you have shown are amazing.

I need to compliment you on how you have come across in your updates --- not in a "superstar-r-r-r" fashion.

You share your skills and progress with us, you don't  feel you are honoring us with them!

I think all the responses you've gotten reflect a genuine want to "help" you in anyway we can. Sure our own opinions are going to creep in here and there (guilty!) ---- but that 's modeling!

A couple of times you mentioned a B-17E down the road, so don't get too burned out on this project. You have me already looking forward to you getting into an E build!

Terry

IIRC, Gimp or Inkscape are free vector drawings softwares you can download for drawing your frames before trying to photetch them, Craig. There must be more. I found one of the easiest to learn was EazyDraw (but it is not free), and Qcad-Cam (not really free either) seems quite powerful, but I have not yet tried to use it. all of these are working on my Mac (besides others such Illustrator, etc ...)

Hubert.

This is coming along beautifully, Craig!

Will this (and you) be coming along to Telford? I'd love to see it in the 'flesh.'

I might have my wires crossed here, but I believe Craig lives in Australia. I think the only Aussie ever to make it to Telford and back alive is Brett Green.

Kev

This is coming along beautifully, Craig!

Will this (and you) be coming along to Telford? I'd love to see it in the 'flesh.'

I might have my wires crossed here, but I believe Craig lives in Australia. I think the only Aussie ever to make it to Telford and back alive is Brett Green.

Kev

G'day Tom, as much as I'd absolutely love to, Kev is indeed correct. Unfortunately we are possibly the furtherest geographical point away from Telford that you can be. Having said that, one year I do want to get there!

Craig