HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

26 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Craig,

I have been watching your build for a long time and have always been hugely impressed at your willingness to go the extra mile to get details right and your incredible execution to nail them.  It is heartbreaking to read about Terry but your tribute to him was wonderful to read.  I am sorry you are having to move internationally (again). As a veteran of several I made sure I not only packed my models carefully but also insured everything. It is not nice to contemplate losing what is now 8 years work but there are more accidents involving bulk carriers losing containers at sea than one may imagine. I don’t want to be the voice of doom and gloom but honestly: although any insurance could not get your model back if it were damaged or went missing, you would at least get something for it. But, suffice it to say I very much hope that your move goes well and your B17 arrives safe and sound at the other end!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you for the kind words Paul! The move sucks but it's a means to an end. Luckily, having done it not so long ago, we learned a lot, so I'm putting those lessons into practice this time. Agreed, the things I care about the most are being packed by me and everything is insured. Yep, if it falls off the boat in a storm (and acutely aware that the shipping is taking place right in the middle of cyclone season in Australia) there's not much I can do about it; I've got to make peace with that and hope for the best :).

Either way, this is not the end of a B-17 being built on my bench! 

Cheers mate,

Craig

I’m sorry to hear about the passing of Terry and I’m sure he’ll be missed - what a shame. 

And good luck with the move back to Oz - I hope the Fort (and you!) have a safe journey. We’ll be eagerly awaiting your return to the bench when the time and circumstances are right.  

I like the cover on the bombsight - just as it would have been when in situ on the ground. Great work. 

Tom

5 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I’m sorry to hear about the passing of Terry and I’m sure he’ll be missed - what a shame. 

And good luck with the move back to Oz - I hope the Fort (and you!) have a safe journey. We’ll be eagerly awaiting your return to the bench when the time and circumstances are right.  

I like the cover on the bombsight - just as it would have been when in situ on the ground. Great work. 

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm in contact with his Son and hoping to catch him for a chat in the New Year. The good thing is that the family connection to the build will continue :)

I think I've spent pretty much every day for the past 3 weeks packing just my bench/tools/models..... there's a lot of it! 

Hopefully I can get into some progress on it in the not too distant future. The good news is that there's a lot of relatively simple (in terms of tools and equipment involved) work to be done on covering the wings, so I might be able to progress them even without the full bench setup as I'm not sure what our living arrangements will be yet.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else following this build. Will 2023 be the year she's finally finished? Who knows but thank you to all of you for your ongoing support and encouragement over the years!

Craig

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear about Terry. I know the pain of losing a close internet friend you've never met - I'd like to think part of him will live on in your model.

As a Kiwi I'm also sorry to learn we're losing you back across The Ditch. It's painful enough moving 1hr between towns here, I hate to think of the effort involved in your move! I'm glad to hear there were some positives to come from your time here.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:49 AM, Jim Barry said:

What a nice story. Sorry you lost a friend, Craig. Best of luck with all the change and we look forward to progress for sure! Your build is always inspiring 

Thanks Jim. Looking forward to resuming it on the other side :) 

On 12/31/2022 at 10:58 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Sad to hear about Terry, and sad to hear that things haven't worked out in NZ for you, Craig. Life's full of challenges, eh? Some are opportunities, and some are disappointments, and it's often up to us to decide which is which.

Good luck with your move!

Kev

Very true Kev! I'm glad to have given it a go; at least I'm not wondering what might have been! Lots of good has come from it, but I'm ready to begin the next chapter. I still don't think you'll ever see the B-17 at a modelling show in Victoria, but you never know! ;) 

On 12/31/2022 at 12:32 PM, scvrobeson said:

Sorry to hear of the loss, and the need to move again. I hope that all goes smoothly, and you're able to resume your life in Australia without issue.

Matt 

Thanks Matt! I've spent a lot of effort making sure I've packed everything as well as I can. Just gotta keep those fingers and toes crossed! 

On 1/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, KiwiZac said:

Firstly, I'm so sorry to hear about Terry. I know the pain of losing a close internet friend you've never met - I'd like to think part of him will live on in your model.

As a Kiwi I'm also sorry to learn we're losing you back across The Ditch. It's painful enough moving 1hr between towns here, I hate to think of the effort involved in your move! I'm glad to hear there were some positives to come from your time here.

Thanks Zac! I know what you mean! I had this impression before I moved here that the whole country was like Queenstown, but as you well know, Bulls and the Manawatu most definitely is not!!!! :whistle: We liked Whanganui but it's just a little too far away to be practical. What Brendan is doing in Biggin Hill is truely awesome though and having a Mk IX Spitfire, Avenger and Harvard routinely giving us a private airshow has been incredible and something I'll never get back home. I won't miss Texans doing circuits though..... those things are so annoying! :). Hopefully this move culminates in a much more permanent bench setup and I can continue work unabated!

I echo Zac's comments, it's tough losing  a mate even on line whom you have come to know really well.  

Australia's gain, NZ's loss having you go, shame as I was hoping to meet you one day. But you gotta do what's right for you all.

LOL, I wont tell my good friend Fin about the Texan noise as he's recently soloed on them and is racking up the hours.  He's actually a good guy and loves models (my son and him grew up together and his dad was my best mate until I lost him to liver cancer some years ago...he was an awesome modeller too) 

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your modelling exploits when you settle in again.

Cheers Anthony

On 1/4/2023 at 8:27 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

I echo Zac's comments, it's tough losing  a mate even on line whom you have come to know really well.  

Australia's gain, NZ's loss having you go, shame as I was hoping to meet you one day. But you gotta do what's right for you all.

LOL, I wont tell my good friend Fin about the Texan noise as he's recently soloed on them and is racking up the hours.  He's actually a good guy and loves models (my son and him grew up together and his dad was my best mate until I lost him to liver cancer some years ago...he was an awesome modeller too) 

Looking forward to hearing/seeing your modelling exploits when you settle in again.

Cheers Anthony

Hey Anthony!

We were hoping to get down to the South Island a LOT more than what we ended up doing (lots of reasons for that) and it would've been great to meet you too, but yes the Wife has spoken and I must obey! :rofl:

Hahaha, the Texans aren't too bad; congratulations to Fin for soloing! I hope the rest of his course goes well as it's pretty intense from what I understand. Turboprops just don't sound cool when there's a Spit, Avenger and plenty of helicopters around ;). In any case, I'll be going back to dealing with Hornets and F-35s doing circuits soon, so noise will be a moot point!

Shame to hear about your mate too, just one of those hard facts of life hey? Guess you've just got to be thankful for the times you have with them! 

Thanks mate and I'll still be here on the forums following your spectacular work along with everyone else's.

Cheers,

Craig

• 2 months later...

Happy days my Friends!!!!!!!!

After 9 long and frustrating weeks of watching the ship with our container on it bob around what seemed like every single port in NZ, then have a Category 3 cyclone go straight over the top of it off Auckland, I am very pleased to say our belongings finally arrived back in Australia.

After a very hectic and hot day of accounting for all the boxes and moving them between two locations, I finally had a moment to check on (IMHO) the most important one of all. And here she is!!!!

So far so good....

18/3

Sigh of relief!

18/3

And not even the .30 cal is broken off! Huzzah!!!! My careful boxing up paid off.

18/3

There you have it my friends; my worst worry is over! It will still be some time before I can resume work on it as we are literally drowning in boxes, but the big girl made it home okay! Surely that'd have to be a record to survive 2 international moves :) 

Just got to find where all my tools and supplies are now.......

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 18/3 Proof of life!