HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

7 hours ago, RadBaron said:

You've definitely inspired me to have a crack at a NMF build, and I had wondered about how well laquers would hold onto metal. Did you scuff up the metal before priming?

I did with some steel wool where I could, but where I masked off for the yellow stripe I was too scared of bumping the masking, so I just gently cleaned the area with isopropyl before the etch primer. Then I made sure I misted several coats of each colour on to build up the layers slowly, drying with a hair dryer in between and at least a day between each different colour. Seemed to get away with it, so I hope that you do get around to one; they just look so cool! :) 

Craig

Dang Craig - looks like a real live B-17 fuselage sitting there in your driveway!  What a pleasant milestone!  That clear etching primer you mentioned raised my eyebrow.  So you feel it sticks pretty good?  Also, I too have used steel wool in various places on the Corsair, and found that hundreds of little strands find their way to the magnets.  So I quit doing that.  You have the same issue? 

Craig, that is astonishing!

So thrilled to see paint down, it is absoloutely transformational :wub:

The lines and finish on this magnum opus build are just beyond words, I am as pleased for you that you reached this stage as i am for us to see it

simply brilliant

Peter

8 hours ago, JayW said:

Dang Craig - looks like a real live B-17 fuselage sitting there in your driveway!  What a pleasant milestone!  That clear etching primer you mentioned raised my eyebrow.  So you feel it sticks pretty good?  Also, I too have used steel wool in various places on the Corsair, and found that hundreds of little strands find their way to the magnets.  So I quit doing that.  You have the same issue? 

Thanks Jay! Yeah I can't definitively say you won't ever get peeling with the etch primer, but I certainly seems to have held so far. More time and practice will better inform that though. Ah yes, the down side to steel wool. I just did my best to flush with Iso and clean with a cotton bud, but I just had a thought that you could maybe "vacuum" the area with a magnet???? Might be worth a try.... :) 

15 minutes ago, airscale said:

Craig, that is astonishing!

So thrilled to see paint down, it is absoloutely transformational :wub:

The lines and finish on this magnum opus build are just beyond words, I am as pleased for you that you reached this stage as i am for us to see it

simply brilliant

Peter

Thanks so much Peter! It certainly is a great feeling to finally get paint on it. The yellow band was particularly challenging to freehand mask...... I did have to touch up some of the brown line and it's a little wonky on close inspection, but definitely worth adding to bridge the gap in the sea of silver ;).

So stoked to finally be able to share this moment with you guys!

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

The old R&D department has been at it again :)

A great deal of you make your own custom masks using a portrait or similar cutter and do an incredible job. Inspired also by 1ManArmy's laser cut stencils, I'd thought I'd give that a go. I do have a portrait cutter, but I actually have yet to use it.......

Font and style of lettering and codes on early B-17s is as far from being standard as one could imagine; almost every single photo appears to show differences. With that in mind, I figured I might exercise that artistic license once again and make up some fictional codes. After using the Koster 1/48 decal sheet for reference, I worked out what settings would work nicely for cutting Tamiya tape on a piece of acrylic. For a first hack at it, I think it came up pretty darn well! :) 

12/11

12/11

"Compound" (X+Y simultaneous movement) seems to exhibit a bit of a wobble, as you can see from the 7 and edges of the B, but otherwise pretty happy for how quick and sharp the masks turned out to be.

The applied where best guess says they should be....

12/11

12/11

I masked over the De-icer boot again as this appears to have been applied over existing markings in many cases, not the other way around.

12/11

Again, I did get a bit of lifting around the edges, but careful removal and some touch ups took care of that pretty well...

12/11

12/11

Jumping around again. I started playing with the frame for the nose cone. I wasn't really sure how I was going to attack this, but I'd had an idea to try aluminium tape and not apply any additional adhesive. A few hours turned into two days, and this was the result....

12/11

But wait! What about the rivets? Glad you asked..... ;). After I'd gone to great lengths to stick all the pieces down (the tape kinks quite horribly when peeling it up from a surface), I then pulled up the ones that needed rivets and added them. Super fun......

12/11

Quick comparison as I forgot to take any in progress pics....

12/11

And the (mostly) finished product. Maybe not quite as much work as my scratchbuilt effort, but fiddly enough! 

12/11

12/11-2

12/11-2

12/11-2

Apologies for lots of grubby fingerprints..... I haven't cleaned it yet, just couldn't resist a few snaps to capture "the look" :) 

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104

• brahman104 changed the title to HK B-17...C 12/11 Nosecone Mk2