Monogram Mustang - Mojo Mender

xmh53wrench

Thank you very much Kev.

I am in a bit of a panic mode right now.  I am looking through the photo gallery for the 361st fighter group at Little Friends, and am noticing that fighter group was curiously void of the ETO stripes I just painted on my model :doh:

I am going to see if I can dissect a bit more of the history and timeframe to make sure I am not fouling up too much on this build/livery.  I believe I am certainly not too far along to change things (ie: modeling a different early P-51D-5).  It seems in the photos that this particular group and its squadrons' markings are a bit all over the place.  We shall see....more reading and digging is in order I guess....good thing I dont mind the research part of building these Mustangs.

Thanks all

Well isn't that a lovely bunch of coconuts!   The different finishes together really pop.

Lou

How sweet she is. Absolutely one gorgeous finish

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you two very very much!!!   ....very very humbled....

Currently I am scouring the web and my books on what livery this aircraft is now eligible for.  Considering its now sans its dorsal fin, is sporting ETO bands but no D-Day stripes makes it a very early Mustang in theater.  So far the highest serial number for a -5NA with no fillet I have seen (seen, meaning I have actually seen a picture of the aircraft without its fillet) has been a bird belonging to the 4th Fighter Group, 335th Fighter Squadron serial number 44-13779 codes WD-C. Although all of the photos seem to be after D-Day so they all have the striping already applied.

I am wondering if there is a source for exactly when squadrons began receiving the new Mustangs.

I am going to give myself a few more days of searching before deciding exactly what colors and codes are going on my Mustang.  (of course then I have to see what decals are in the stash to accommodate my decision.)

Stay tuned.

Learn something new everyday.....

Dorsal fin fillet became factory installed on P-51-5-NA #44-13902 and subsequent.  Prior to that SN they were field modified.

Now, I am curious and have yet to find out if this applied to Dallas built airframes, or if ALL Dallas Mustangs were equipped with the DFF from the factory??????

Hi Lou,

Can't help you with that question, I'm afraid.

However, this is a very good mojo mender.

Your model shows what can be done with an old kit and a little TLC,

while still keep the speed and the fun up.

I like it!

:goodjob:

Cheers,

Peter

MARU and Peter, thank you very much.

Well, after beating my head against the proverbial wall and coming dangerously close to the affliction commonly referred to as over analysis paralysis I have seen the light.

My answer was in front of me all along.  Courtesy of the Monogram Phantom Mustang kit that has been in my stash for about 2 years now.

IMAG2820_zps87e98077.jpg

But against my better judgement I just couldnt leave it be and move on with the livery....

In the hopes of not finding out this Mustang had been named after receiving its dorsal fin fillet I set out to see what I could dig up.

Aahhhhhhh.....verification can be so sweet.

1549356_891117767565547_3793030508692519

Lt Bart Tenore of the 9th Air Force, 354th Fighter Group, 356th Fighter Squadron.

P-51D-5-NA 44-13581

...with "The Prodigal Son", no D-Day bands and no DFF.

So without further to do, I am finally off the research and back to the bench.

Tonight I will get the spinner and prop tips painted.  And, get the black nose band on so tomorrow I can finally get back to applying decals.

Interested how the decals will look on the Airframe Aluminum Alclad.

Very relieved....and very satisfied with the solution that finally made itself know.

Hi Lou,

Nice catch with the old decals!

If it's not clear whether the nose band is black or blue,

I recommend to go for the most colourful option: blue.

Another motivation: the white stars go on a blue background on the Stars 'n Stripes. ;)

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Lou,

Nice catch with the old decals!

If it's not clear whether the nose band is black or blue,

I recommend to go for the most colourful option: blue.

Another motivation: the white stars go on a blue background on the Stars 'n Stripes. ;)

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, I completely agree with the colorful part of your thought process, but as it stands right now I have 3 somewhat reliable sources that tell me black and one that says blue. 

This is lifted right off the 354th's website.

Early_356th.jpg

Currently its black on the model, but I may wait a day or two before adding the stars....just in case.

It never ceases to amaze me how good some of these old kits can look when they're built by a skilled hand. Looking good mate!

Craig

Way too kind, and thank you....this build has been a blast so far!

Well my ugly lil prop is done and didnt come out half bad....

IMAG2833_zpsefc7be6d.jpg

Now that I understand fully what the shape issue is with the Dragon kit propellers (seems they were molded with the concave side toward the front instead of the back) I would have maybe at least tried to give the front a good sanding and shaping, but I didnt want to try that on this prop that had already been assembled....not too many things worse than trying to reattach a broken off prop blade.

Pressing on... :)