Pfalz Pfinished!

Wolf Buddee

That looks great.  You are correct about the decals, you definitely have to float them on lots of water or they don't want to slide around well to position.

I found the same thing with Sir Peters decals. Love stuff, but tend to bed down quickly. At least they are strong, and dont tend to tear that easy at the drop of a hat. Decals that suck down nicely are great, but useless if they tear when applying them.

The WnW Cartograf decals are superb IMHO and once down they get into every little crevice and appear painted under some gloss/semi-gloss/flat

Your builds are so immaculate I think you must have a space-age clean room for a  hobby area.  That, combined with your razor sharp photography, gives all of us a goal to strive for, though few will achieve it IMHO.  Brilliant!  Simply brilliant technique and presentation.

All I can say is Wow Wolf! Not knowing world war one subjects very well, I was wondering where you were going with the fuselage colours but I see it very clearly now, and I like it. Lots..... :)

Craig

Thanks Craig, I was worried about the demarcation line between the black tail and the decals but I got lucky and everything lined up perfectly. I used a map plotting compass from my boating days to measure the length of the decal and it all worked out fine.

Cheers,

Wolf

Love it, love it, love it. If I were to get a WNW kit, I think it would be this one. Keep it up Wolf......Harv :popcorn:

Thank-you Harvey. The WnW kits are truly remarkable and worth every penny IMHO. Don't wait too long to get one though. It seems like their kits sell out right about the time you decide to bite the bullet. The Sopwith Tripe disappeared just hours before I pulled the ol' credit card out..............

Cheers,

Wolf

You kill me. That finish is out-of-sight, Wolf. Very nice. Is the comet, cross, and copy a single decal?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark! The comet, cross, and underlying stripes are 3 separate decals. The first decal includes the upper fuselage stripes, the white portion of the comet's tail, and the black stripe that ties the decal in to the black tail. The two side decals include the comet, cross and the remainder of the stripes. Needless to say, getting the upper spine decal aligned properly is absolutely critical.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Love it, love it, love it! That is some SUPER clean and outstanding looking work Wolf!

Thanks Brian. You're absolutely right about the decal quality here. The fact that these decals are quite tough and tear resistant is a huge plus. You can massage these decals quite a bit to ensure all the wrinkles can be worked out. That's one of the reasons I used my Micro Sol so sparingly. I didn't want to soften the decals until I absolutely had to and only a few small spots needed it anyways.

Cheers,

Wolf

That looks great. You are correct about the decals, you definitely have to float them on lots of water or they don't want to slide around well to position.

Thanks Ron. Yup, lots o' water, a large wet brush, and a wet Q-Tip are a necessary part of the tool kit with these decals.

Cheers,

Wolf

Your builds are so immaculate I think you must have a space-age clean room for a hobby area. That, combined with your razor sharp photography, gives all of us a goal to strive for, though few will achieve it IMHO. Brilliant! Simply brilliant technique and presentation.

Thanks Ron S. You made me laugh though. Brian showed a pic of his workbench recently, I think in his latest Bronco build, which made me smile as my workbench looks a lot like his right now. Ask Martin, he's seen it. With regards to the photography, I was having a lot of trouble at the beginning of this build with pics that were lacking sharpness. It turned out the autofocus setting on the camera wasn't doing it's job so well so I switched to manual focus. I still loose the fine edge on the pics when they're resized for making them web friendly.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Sweet work on the decals ... looking absolutely fantastic. Wouldn't it be wonderful if all kits came with decals of that quality.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you, Wolf.

'. . . getting the upper spine decal aligned properly is absolutely critical'

No lie.  

'The first decal includes the upper fuselage stripes, the white portion of the comet's tail, and the black stripe that ties the decal in to the black tail.'

Do they give you a center-line with which to work?  Or is it all eye-ball?

Additionally:

Are the black stripes under the comet integral to the comet or the other black stripes?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Thank you, Wolf.

'. . . getting the upper spine decal aligned properly is absolutely critical'

No lie.  

'The first decal includes the upper fuselage stripes, the white portion of the comet's tail, and the black stripe that ties the decal in to the black tail.'

Do they give you a center-line with which to work?  Or is it all eye-ball?

Additionally:

Are the black stripes under the comet integral to the comet or the other black stripes?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark, the first decal is aligned using the rear of the cockpit coming and then the alignment of the rear stripe that wraps around the fuselage. If the rear stripe doesn't meet cleanly at the bottom of the fuselage the whole decal needs it's position adjusted. It's fiddly but WnWs has made it hard to screw up. Nonetheless it's a large decal so you have to take care, keep it wet, and use the ol' Mark I eyeball to check everything repeatedly.

The black stripes under the comet are integral with the comet, so again, a rather large decal but it all fits!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf,

SPECTACULAR and AMAZING work.. :clap2:

KUDOS :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thank-you Maru, always a pleasure to hear from you!

Cheers,

Wolf

Great work Wolf!

Just before you get stuck in to our Aviattic decals I must tell you I am just about to approve the final print run for tailored "cookies" with either linen or lozenge rib tapes to fit the Pfalz DIIIa from Wingnut Wings......just so you know!;) The total decalling should take no more than 2-3 hours.

Best wishes, Richard