Pfalz Pfinished!

Wolf Buddee

Thank-you for all your kind comments. They are all very much appreciated and without a doubt very encouraging. If any of you have suggestions regarding further weathering on the Pfalz I'd love to hear your input. I'm always a little intimidated by weathering and don't want to overdo it but so many of you are masters at it so I thought I would ask.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

I so sorry for the family's loss ... it's always so hard to loose a loved pet.

Totally in awe of the Plafz; just brilliant in every manor. Nothing is missed and the level of workmanship is beyond.

Gorgeous work my friend, simply gorgeous. :clap2:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Now, looking at really good work like this aren't we all glad this was done in 1/32 scale rather than 1/72 or even 1/48?

Personally, I hate looking at a tiny scale model through a  magnifying glass. This is a good scale for all this detail.

This is a beautiful job of work - a real labor of love.

:clap2:

Stephen

If any of you have suggestions regarding further weathering on the Pfalz I'd love to hear your input. I'm always a little intimidated by weathering and don't want to overdo it but so many of you are masters at it so I thought I would ask.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Wolf

Well, since you asked...... :rolleyes:

The very best weathering aid I use are Tamiya pastels, but get the "Oil Stain" one- you may have this set already.  Although these pastels appear greasy, they are actually water soluble, so you can remove any excess without fear of ruining that beautiful finish you have already.  If you have some reference pics, I'll bet that engine leaves some stains along the sides and there will always be a bit of grime from boot marks on the wing- although I have no idea on this build if that's possible.  "Smudgy" and a bit used is the target look, not dirty.

BTW, if you like the look, you might want to add a bit to your awesome Spitfire build.  I think just a little bit of weathering on this model will knock it up to a 12/10, rather than just a measly 10/10!

Hope this helps,

Chuck

For what it's worth, on my Pfalz I did pin washes around fuse panels as you have already done then used Tamiya weathering pastels (browns/grays) to rub down high wear areas around the cockpit, access panels, wing roots and engine panels.  I then used some artist oils (raw senna) I think heavily thinned in trups and splattered with a brush with stiff bristles all around areas the wheels could spray mud onto. I didn't really touch the wings other than the mud splatters.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1929

Chuck, Ron, great suggestions. Now that I don't have to have this finished for this Saturday I can think through what I want to do to add more weathering to the Pfalz. I already used some of Tamiya's weathering pastels on the exhaust pipes since I took the last posted pics. They work well so I'll need to find more sets of these.

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers,

Wolf

Great stuff as always Wolf!

I too LOVE the Tamiya "makeup". They do work really well, and to me give really convincing oil and soot streaks, while remaining really easy to remove with water and a cotton bud/Q-tip.

FWIW,

I also found that if you crush the stuff up into a really fine power, and mix with some water, you have a "clay like" wash that also can easily be wiped off, and works similarly to the Flory models washes, but when you use the Tamiya weathering pallets, you can get a wide myriad of colors not otherwise available.

Oh ya! Sure. Go ahead and dirty up and weather a clean,crisp,good looking model Wolf.....See if I care

Ok...you know I wont,lovely work though..and just ordered some "faded" decals for my WNW Roland because they look so good on your Pfalz .

Keep it up.

Edited by williamj

I took a couple of weeks off my Roland build, and with some aftermarket just arrived for it I log back in and what do I find here?  :coolio: If this isn't inspiration to get working on it again, I don't know what is. That radiator... just... wow...

Darren

I haven't had much time on the bench lately but I have been trying to add some general schmutz to the overall airframe on the Pfalz. I also managed to get the fuel lines for the top wing gravity fuel tank painted and dry fitted to the upper wing and fuselage. The lines were painted with Alclad Copper and then over sprayed with a liberal coating of Tamiya Smoke. Once that was dry the lines were sprayed with Tamiya's semi-gloss clear which gave them a nice weathered and aged look. I luckily only had to make one of the small retaining springs for the cowl side panels as the port cowl panel will not be displayed on the model. It's not hard to make one but two exactly the same, well that's another thing, for me anyways.

Cheers,

Wolf

Pfalz-32_zpsdx7ajyvn.jpg

Pfalz-33_zpsrteb7zz5.jpg

Pfalz-34_zpsxwpnacqz.jpg

Great stuff as always Wolf!

I too LOVE the Tamiya "makeup". They do work really well, and to me give really convincing oil and soot streaks, while remaining really easy to remove with water and a cotton bud/Q-tip.

FWIW,

I also found that if you crush the stuff up into a really fine power, and mix with some water, you have a "clay like" wash that also can easily be wiped off, and works similarly to the Flory models washes, but when you use the Tamiya weathering pallets, you can get a wide myriad of colors not otherwise available.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I haven't had a chance to search for any more of the Tamiya "makeup" kits but I'm definitely going on the hunt. Thanks for checkin' in.

Cheers,

Wolf

Oh ya! Sure. Go ahead and dirty up and weather a clean,crisp,good looking model Wolf.....See if I care

dog_fear_thmb_zpscc32r4as.jpg

Ok...you know I wont,lovely work though..and just ordered some "faded" decals for my WNW Roland because they look so good on your Pfalz .

Keep it up.

Don't shoot the dog Bill! I'm already down one pooch this month. As far as the Aviattic decals, you're gonna love them. Just start with a really light base coat. Any shading you add before applying the decals will show up nicely underneath them and you should be able to get some really cool effects. The one thing I found though is they're really hard to trim once they've been applied and softened with Micro Sol but they really look fantastic.

Cheers,

Wolf

I took a couple of weeks off my Roland build, and with some aftermarket just arrived for it I log back in and what do I find here?  :coolio: If this isn't inspiration to get working on it again, I don't know what is. That radiator... just... wow...

Darren

Thanks Darren, looking forward to seeing more progress on your Roland. These Wingnut Wings kits are fantastic eh?

Cheers,

Wolf