Pfalz Pfinished!

Wolf Buddee

Love your painting, Wolf.  So defined.

Cylinderhead-18_zpsaf946286.jpg

That's funny.  At first glance the little brass distributor looks like a spigot.

Super work, Wolf.  Seems you're getting back your Modeling Mojo.

Sincerely,

Mark

Wolf you should do a video series on how you do your painting. I'd subscribe to it. That is some seriously fine work.

I have not built the Pfalz yet, but can the engine be installed after the fuselage is together Wolf?

That's funny. At first glance the little brass distributor looks like a spigot.

I think the camera angle got you Mark, as it did me at first. Those are the fuel primer cups. I thought the same thing at first, but in the second shot they are apart.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike Robinson

how? one simple question... how?

how is it possible to do what you do Wolf - there are particles in my paint bigger than the things you paint...

how do you do it..

I just sit here and drool, glance at my collection of hairy sticks, glance back at my screen and wonder if actually its all CGI... if ever there was a masterclass in modelling on the internet it is always in your build threads..

enthralled and desperate to learn more..

Peter

Oh you can do better than that Wolf,  the valve to rocker arm clearance is obviously .000000321" out of tolerance and there appears to be at least three loose nuts on the cam bearing covers. Sloppy, sloppy work.  :hmmm:

Ok joking, wow!  just wow.  I know I don't have the eyes or the steady hands to pull off work like that! 

Ron

I didn't think you could up your game after what you showed us with your Mercedes D.III. I was wrong, Wolf. This is even more amazing, and it's not even finished! 

Tons stuff to learn! Thanks for sharing!!!

Man that is good! How on earth do you hold all those little bits in order to paint them Wolf?

Cheers, Craig

Hi Craig, when I used the Taurus Models bits the 1st time I removed all the parts from their casting blocks and attached them to masking tape to paint them. I flipped them over on a fresh piece of Tamiya tape and then painted the other side. This time I painted the parts while still attached to their casting block and then cleaned up the contact edges and touched up the paint. It also helps to have a really good set of tweezers and a light touch so the parts don't plink off in to oblivion if the tweezers loose their grip. I also wear a large BBQ apron with it's bottom edge attached to my work bench so anything that drops is easy (mostly) to find.

Cheers,

Wolf

Holy (Insert choice of adjective/noun here) that looks amazing Wolf.

I happen to have a manual for the Mercedes engine if you need spark advance or ignition timing details. We certainly want to make sure this engine runs as it should!

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike! Are you serious about the manual?

Cheers,

Wolf

Another masterpiece in the making.  You are the king of painting tiny details.  I've never seen better.

Thanks Chuck, kind words indeed.  :blush:

Cheers,

Wolf

how? one simple question... how?

how is it possible to do what you do Wolf - there are particles in my paint bigger than the things you paint...

how do you do it..

I just sit here and drool, glance at my collection of hairy sticks, glance back at my screen and wonder if actually its all CGI... if ever there was a masterclass in modelling on the internet it is always in your build threads..

enthralled and desperate to learn more..

Peter

Ok now you're just going to make my head swell with that kind of talk! I aint got nothin' on you my friend..........absolutely nothin'!

Cheers,

Wolf

Oh you can do better than that Wolf,  the valve to rocker arm clearance is obviously .000000321" out of tolerance and there appears to be at least three loose nuts on the cam bearing covers. Sloppy, sloppy work.  :hmmm:

Ok joking, wow!  just wow.  I know I don't have the eyes or the steady hands to pull off work like that! 

Ron

Sheesh, I was hoping no one would notice. Thanks for outing me man!  :D I don't have the eyes either but I do have a 5 diopter magnifying lamp without which I couldn't do any of this stuff. Believe me! As far as the steady hands, I'm finding I need to concentrate quite a bit more these days to keep steady. Getting' old, no doubt about it..........

Cheers,

Wolf

I didn't think you could up your game after what you showed us with your Mercedes D.III. I was wrong, Wolf. This is even more amazing, and it's not even finished! 

Tons stuff to learn! Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks Tomek! The engines share quite a bit of pieces but the fuel primer cups on each cylinder are a new addition. The fact that Taurus Models mastered and cast these parts is the real impressive part!

Cheers,

Wolf

1 comment, I can smell the gas in them ! Freakin awesome job Wolf..........Harv :popcorn:

Thanks Harvey! If you smell gas I've got more work to do. She's running way to rich if you smell gas............. :lol:

Cheers,

Wolf

That's funny.  At first glance the little brass distributor looks like a spigot.

LOL, thanks Mark. I see what you mean. I'll have to be more careful with the camera angle.

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf you should do a video series on how you do your painting. I'd subscribe to it. That is some seriously fine work.

I have not built the Pfalz yet, but can the engine be installed after the fuselage is together Wolf?

I think the camera angle got you Mark, as it did me at first. Those are the fuel primer cups. I thought the same thing at first, but in the second shot they are apart.

Cheers

Mike

No real secret to my painting techniques Mike. Most everything is painted through the ol' airbrush. Even the small stuff. Final detail painting is done with good brushes and well thinned paint. Based on what I've seen of your work you already have the painting thing down to an art!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf

How sweet it is. Fantastic detail work and painting.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, always a pleasure hearing from you! Hopefully you don't have to much snow to shovel. Certainly not as much as was predicted eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolf

We had a bit over 24 inches but the snow was light and fluffy and the winds just blew it everywhere. We're all dug out and expecting more snow on Monday and just think, we normally don't see much snow ...

We'll need to talk to Mother Nature about this.

Peter

• 1 month later...

It's been over a month since I've had anything to show for but I finally managed to get the Mercedes engine done for the Pfalz DIIIa. The last bit I finished but haven't painted yet is the throttle linkage atop the carburettor. I thought a long time about whether I would scratch build the linkage or get the HGW photo etch set for the Mercedes. In the end the only thing I would use of the HGW set is the throttle linkage and it looked a little too 2 dimensional so I went with scratch build. Now I have to find how the throttle linkage was connected to the throttle twist grip on the control column. I know it was actuated at the twist grip with a Bowden cable but from there I'm not to sure. It appears as though it had a solid linkage rod by the time it attached to the linkage at the carburettor. Anyone have photos?  Next step is figuring out how much detail that connected the engine assembly to the cockpit controls I'll add and then I can close up the fuselage.

Cheers,

Wolf

Mercedes-1_zpsje48ztym.jpg

Mercedes-2_zpsovlawe2e.jpg

Mercedes-3_zpsfyzuige4.jpg

Mercedes-4_zpsdq4zncs9.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

Totally blown away! Gorgeous Mercedes and the detailing is up front, easy to see and in a league by itself

Keep 'em coming

Peter