Albatros D.III, Jasta Boelcke

LSP_K2

Slight change in plans here. Owing to an absence of what I require to finish my Ki-61 for our regional next year (and for some other reasons as well), I've decided instead to pursue the Roden Albatros D.III, in Jasta 17 markings. This will be done mostly OOB, but with some AM thrown at it, most notably a WNW Mercedes, Master Spandau's, Taurus and Barracuda engine dress up parts, and perhaps the Part P.E. set, though I don't really feel that's needed, as such.

Obligatory box shot. This kit, and a few others, were very generously gifted to me by our own LSP_Ray. Thanks again, Ray, I appreciate it much!

III001_zpsfbc5dc45.jpg

Before I realized what I had done, I assembled two sets of wheels. Instructions are somewhat vague here, but it appears that the smaller diameter set (on the right) are the correct ones. Anybody know for sure?

wheels002_zpsed5c0ead.jpg

That's right. Rowan is producing this Jasta at the moment, if you can wait.

I believe, and may be wrong, that the front engine former is sloped, otherwise the cowling doesn't fit. Check out some online builds as I can't remember for certain.

Thanks, Dave, I'll have to keep them in mind, even though I think I have all the major markings covered now.

Kev

Looking forward to follow along and learning a few tricks on building WWI aircraft

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I don't know that I have any special tricks, Peter, but I'll sure do the best I can.

Glad to see this one getting built, Kev! Nice pic of markings, too. Didn't realize there were two sets of wheels in the kit, interesting.

BTW, what are you missing for the Ki-61? I have quite of bit of aftermarket for that one, might have some stuff extra.

Glad to see this one getting built, Kev! Nice pic of markings, too. Didn't realize there were two sets of wheels in the kit, interesting.

BTW, what are you missing for the Ki-61? I have quite of bit of aftermarket for that one, might have some stuff extra.

The second set of wheels apparently cover the OAW built machines, which this kit does not represent, though Roden does produce an OAW kit. In fact (and somewhat ironically), the scheme that I picked is for an OAW Albatros. I'm searching for a new scheme right now (non OAW), as there were several very noticeable differences between the two that I had previously been unaware of.

As to the Tony, the real hangup came when I realized I had no AM instruments for the pit, at least not until I discovered an old Waldron set. I could handily use these, but most of the punches for my sets are in storage somewhere, so out of frustration, I turned to the D.III, as I've had a particular fondness for some WWI types for a while now anyway, plus I'm in the mood to work on it.

With our regional coming around in September, I really don't want to enter two 1:32 props either, so I've opted for this route instead. I certainly appreciate the offer though, and I'll double check my kit to see if there's anything in particular that I need. Perhaps we can work out some sort of deal later.