1/32 P-38L "Kicked Up A Notch". Jan 15/16: FINISHED!

chuck540z3

Ouch, it was frightening ! But it seems you sort it out nicely.

Quick reflex reactions are often destructive... There is someone here (Brian?) who did the same thing than you, but instead of a model, it was a scalpel, which stuck right in his thigh... I remember the bloody pictures.

That was ME!  During my F-4E build, something was rolling off the counter towards my lap so I squeezed my legs together and jammed the entire #11 blade into my right thigh.  Ouch!  I was lucky I didn't hit an artery.  Anyway, since then, I always have some tape wrapped on the end of the knife so that it doesn't roll.

Yikes1.jpg

I had that happen yesterday evening, When the knife rolled of the table I remembered not to try to catch it.

With my foot I could lessen the impact on the new floor though (not with the blade into my foot or the floor :oops:)

Cees

That was ME!  During my F-4E build, something was rolling off the counter towards my lap so I squeezed my legs together and jammed the entire #11 blade into my right thigh.  Ouch!  I was lucky I didn't hit an artery.  Anyway, since then, I always have some tape wrapped on the end of the knife so that it doesn't roll.

Yikes1.jpg

If men wore skirts, this kind of thing would never happen!

I know it's a bit o.t., but I would like to show a simple stand I made to support models during decal's application.

DSCN1767-vi.jpgDSCN1768-vi.jpg

The supports can be positioned on base and lifted according to the need and here following is an example on a 1:32 model: (With my cat sharing the scene)

DSCN1769-vi.jpgDSCN1771-vi.jpg

DSCN1772-vi.jpg

Unfortunately isn't big enough to support a twin prop like the P-38.

Alberto

Aoch....

You know ive done exacly the same thing with my scalpel....abd as you said didnt cut any artery inside the thigh.....

And as you...alot of bleeding...luckily no pumpin blood...but it is serious injury as it easily turn bad.....

I used CA Glue, to patch myself fast...couple cm with ...depth were 3cm (entire blade in the thigh).

A tip..i did on all my round handles...glued a small rod on them to prevent them from rolling around...small and cheap insursnce from rhat ever happen again.

Also...like your stand that holds the model while workin on it.

/Mal

For the X Cato knifes we used thoes triangle thing for pencils to stop rolling of the desk. Had two of them stap me in the top of the foot. One in the leg. Also a short handeled Xcato #11 blade in it roll of the desk and land in my chair. Just to have me sit on it. That was the last time I got hurt with one. Now twenty years ago. LOL

Cheers

January 15, 2016

I'm finally DONE!!  After 14 months and hundreds of hours, this replica of “Marge†is finally finished.  There is plenty of information on the ‘net about Richard Bong, America's “Ace of Aces†with 40 confirmed combat air-to-air victories, so I won't go into any detail about the pilot who flew this aircraft, other than to say that he flew several P-38's that were all “J'sâ€.  The P-38 at the Richard Bong Veterans Historical Center in Superior Wisconsin, is actually Serial # 44-53236 which is a P-38L, but it has the markings of P-38J Serial # 42-103993, which had the image of Major Bong's girlfriend at the time, Marjorie Vattendahl, on the nose.

This is the first time I've built a model without any weathering of any kind, other than a little dust on the tire treads, which all aircraft have.  This model tries to replicate Marge in the 2002 to 2009 time period when it was housed at the EAA Museum in Oshkosh WI, when this P-38 was a combination of both polished aluminum and painted aluminum.  Since that time, Marge was moved to Richard Bong museum in Superior WI. and it was painted all aluminum, which I don't find particularly interesting.  Thankfully there are not many placards or stencils on Marge, so decals were minimal, but there are quite a few differences between the original Marge in WW-II, the P-38L as it looked in Oshkosh and what it looks like now in Superior.  The Pyn-Up decals I used for instance, are for the WW-II P-38J, which have different font, etc., from the museums in Wisconsin.

I'll put these pics up in the Ready for Inspection Forum, but to complete this thread for future reference, I'll place them here first.  Thank you everyone for your continued interest, advice and compliments.  I really appreciate them all.

Cheers,

Chuck

Final1.jpg

Final2.jpg

Final3.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final5.jpg

Final6.jpg

Final7.jpg

Final8.jpg

Final9.jpg

Final10.jpg