1/32 P-38L "Kicked Up A Notch". Jan 15/16: FINISHED!

chuck540z3

Thanks guys!

That's some very impressive masking skills you've got there chuck. It's a good reminder that if you're prepared to take your time and mask everything up properly, then such amazing results can be achieved because spraying is some much better than the brush. 

I've never heard of Varsol before. What is it?

Craig

According to Home Depot, "Varsol* is a brand name for a premium quality, pure, low odor paint thinner with a medium to fast evaporation rate. Its low odor and low flammability makes it safer to use indoors than other solvents and thinners. Varsol* Paint Thinner is an excellent and versatile solvent for thinning oil-based paints, varnishes and polyurethanes".

It's basically ordinary paint thinner, but since paint thinners can be all over the map for what the heck is in them, I stick with Varsol to make sure I know what it will do- and not do.  For my Model Master enamels, I still use the Testors paint thinner made for their enamels for the same reason.

I agree with your assessment of spraying paint vs. using a brush.  I am absolutely horrible at brush painting, so I'll do almost anything to avoid it, but sometimes you just have to.  I have often read how other modelers swear by brush painting and claim they can do just as good a job with a paint brush as with an airbrush.  I have yet to see it!

Hi Chuck, beautifully crisp paintwork on your cockpit. It will look superb through that big glass house canopy.

I have often read how other modelers swear by brush painting and claim they can do just as good a job with a paint brush as with an airbrush.  I have yet to see it!

I agree with you but I've been following a thread over on BM and this guy shows how it can be done: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-update-010315/page-24

Keep up the great work.

Cheers.

Hi Chuck, beautifully crisp paintwork on your cockpit. It will look superb through that big glass house canopy.

I agree with you but I've been following a thread over on BM and this guy shows how it can be done: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-update-010315/page-24

Keep up the great work.

Cheers.

Having just discovered Vallejo I am pretty confident a good result can indeed be achieved with a brush, it goes on nice and smoothly.

Thanks a lot guys for the kind words.

Having just discovered Vallejo I am pretty confident a good result can indeed be achieved with a brush, it goes on nice and smoothly.

Cheers.

I just checked out this build.  Beautiful work and certainly better than 95% of the other brush painted models I've seen, but on the very few close-up pics available, I stand by my assertion than using an airbrush would have created a nicer and certainly smoother finish.  I am envious, however, because many times I need to use a brush and the results are usually brutal.  This modeler is obviously very skilled with a brush.

Well what do you know Chuck - I didn't know you were in the middle of a P-38 build! Your cockpit is super! And by the way those pictures of your 4th FG P-51 are the first I have seen - studly! Award worthy. And the nose art you have selected - wowsers!

Well what do you know Chuck - I didn't know you were in the middle of a P-38 build! Your cockpit is super! And by the way those pictures of your 4th FG P-51 are the first I have seen - studly! Award worthy. And the nose art you have selected - wowsers!

Geez, thanks Jay.  The Mustang was a fun build and it got a little air time like the FSM front cover below last January.  There are a lot more pics of it in my Photobucket site here if you're interested:

1/32 Tamiya P-51D

Your 1/18 scale P-38 project is a sight to behold.  I haven't responded to it for a few months, but I sure am following every new post.  Your scratch buildiing skills are awesome!

Mustang1.jpg

OK, now I need some help from you P-38 experts out there.  The ailerons have a fixed trim tab on the inboard side and a "lip" at the rear that extends across the entire aileron, which can be seen on the top on the kit parts, but not the bottom.  According to several pics I can find of the real deal, this lip should be visible from the bottom, but not the top.  Meanwhile, this same lip extends across the rear of the wing tips.

Here's some pics, although some are not very good.  Unfortunately this site is very restrictive so I can't save pics or create a direct link to a specific photograph.

Pics1

Pics2

Did Trumpeter screw this detail up?  According to the many builds of this kit I can find, just about everybody assembled the kit this way, with the lip visible from the top, but not the bottom, according to the instructions.  What is correct?  Any more pics out there or inside knowledge of this subtle detail?

Thanks Guys!

Thanks!  What I really need is a pic from the top of the wing to show what the aileron looks like from that angle.  Tough to find, I know, but there's a few in the second link I posted above that says the Trumpeter kit is wrong.