1/32 Electric Intruder - Grumman EA-6A Conversion

allthumbs

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Reimund,

Thanks for checking in. I’m fine. 

The Electric Intruder project has been at a standstill for the past 3 years. A job change, move and other distractions took me away from active modeling. I did however finally restore most of the images that appear in this thread (which had fallen prey to Photobucket’s hosting policy change back in 2017).

And earlier this year, I managed to put together a modeling workshop in the new house. Happily, I have begun to log some hours at the workbench. But rather than resume work straight away on the EA-6A, I decided to start fresh with a slightly less ambitious project, for which I’ll start a new LSP work-in-progress thread soon.

Thanks again for your interest in the Electric Intruder.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

• 8 months later...

Finally an update on this long dormant build:

The engine air intakes, which I began work on 5 years ago, are at last finished. If you're interested, the fun begins way back on page 7 of this log, but here’s a quick recap:

• Interior trunking reworked to achieve better fit for the cylindrical engine shroud

• Scratch built compressor/inlet guide vane assemblies

• Boundary layer ramps replaced

• All exterior detail re-scribed

• Miscellaneous additions include open refueling receptacle, antenna base mounts, aftermarket turned brass AOA probe and soon, a 3D printed TAT probe that will install into open hole on LH air intake

c3s3Ji6.jpg

SA5yTsZ.jpg

T7amAC6.jpg

pTBPnLx.jpg

q0PeWPi.jpg

BjLkE05.jpg

Edited by allthumbs

• allthumbs changed the title to Electric Intruder - Grumman EA-6A Conversion (Update 21FEB)

When examined up close, the Intruder's jet intakes are quite remarkable, bristling (literally in many respects) with interesting features and details like temperature and angle-of-attack probes, a static air port, antennas along the bottom, servicing points for fuel and windshield wash fluid and even an air vortex removal system that consists of a small bleed air fed nozzle located on the lower lip area of each intake (see second to last photo). 

The more features I discovered, the more I wanted to incorporate them into the model, adding time to what is already a highly protracted project! I live about 100 miles away from the Pima Air Museum in Arizona where an A-6E TRAM is on display. Over two visits, I took dozens of photographs and measurements of the real deal, which really helped.

Here's a small sample...

5bk84Ln.jpg

xABQg3K.jpg

vGBtt4p.jpg

YqFK9iy.jpg

TWG6fX5.jpg

dkrN606.jpg

yXjWCJH.jpg

Edited by allthumbs

• allthumbs changed the title to Electric Intruder - Grumman EA-6A Conversion (Update 21 FEB 2021)
16 hours ago, easixpedro said:

Those are brilliant! Love the single point refueling hole. Much better than mine on the Prowler 

Glad to see you back at it, and thanks for sharing!

-Peter

Thanks very much Peter.

I confess that your current Prowler build (awesome!), along with the excellent Intruder WIPs from Marcel, Jeroen and others, served as motivation to reawaken my EA-6A project.

11 hours ago, Isar 30/07 said:

Rich,

you´re back in business! Great news!

Fantastic work on this EA-6A.

Admiring your skills and still hoping for an conversion set!

Can´t wait to see more progress.....

cheers - Reimund

Hi Reimund, thanks very much for your kind words. Indeed, it feels good to be “back in business!”

11 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Couldn't agree more, great to see this stunning project is not forgotten! The result is stunning as usual - I hope you can keep the momentum! 

Ben, it’s always great to hear from you. Maybe you could channel some of your abundant modeling energy and momentum my way, lol!

9 hours ago, crobinsonh said:

Wow amazing work and detail. Love the Intruder.

crobinsonh, thanks for your kind words...always good to hear from another Intruder fan!

5 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Looks great Rich, nice to see more progress.

Andy, cheers and thanks for checking in. Work will keep me busy and away from home a lot in the coming weeks, but I hope to pick back up on this project in the Spring.

4 hours ago, jenshb said:

Don't know how I missed this thread, but have looked through all pages.  Fantastic crisp and clean and neat work!

jenshb, my WIP has been in such a state of slumber these past few years, that it was indeed easy to miss! Thanks very much for your kind words.

Edited by allthumbs