1/32 Electric Intruder - Grumman EA-6A Conversion

allthumbs

Here's a look at some recent work, starting with the forward nose landing gear door.

A number of different door configurations could be found on Intruders and Prowlers over the years. The most radical departure from the norm was that found on EA-6A 'Electric Intruders.' A large blade antenna, as big as the door itself, sprouted from the centerline, which necessitated the displacement of the taxi light to starboard. In addition, the placement and spacing of the approach lights was unique to this version.

Here's a look at a KA-6D door. Aside from the color of the flashing beacon, it's typical of mid-life attack variants...

F7zSEhk.jpg

And two shots of the EA-6A door (courtesy P. O'Donnell)

uvIqMEY.jpg

vYu02JT.jpg

As you can see, they differ substantially. So a new door was fashioned from plastic stock.

Xzf144U.jpg

RZABPCg.jpg

And a comparison to the kit supplied part.

oWMUFf3.jpg

BKCujxO.jpg

Edited by allthumbs

The belly of the beast.

Most, if not all, A-6A and EA-6A Intruders were delivered with a teardrop shaped aerodynamic fairing for the Doppler radar antenna, as shown here.

9LNovhp.jpg

Beginning around 1970, twin ALE-29A chaff dispensers were added just behind the antenna, necessitating a redesigned fairing, its aft third essentially removed. New build A-6E's had this feature from the start, and most all early variants, including Electric Intruders, were brought up to this standard by the mid 1970s.

Truncated fairing (photo courtesy of P. O'Donnell)...

2EryooB.jpg

The Trumpeter kit depicts the later configuration with chaff buckets...

fHXl4HN.jpg

I back-dated the kit piece to represent the original full teardrop fairing. First I removed the antenna bulge and filled the resulting cavity, as well as the chaff openings, with curved plastic stock. After filing and sanding, I had a smooth panel ready to accept a new scratch built fairing, seen under construction here...

3U7QbM7.jpg

FwgOMfK.jpg

N5rDlrN.jpg

The plastic and basswood pattern was then vacuum formed.

jVClmEa.jpg

And here's the finished piece.

i1I4v6T.jpg

xIpTpIy.jpg

-Rich

Edited by allthumbs

Rich,

"Mad" skills on display here. I'm always left wondering how you you obtain such high levels of perfection......guess there's something to be said about execution. This thread is by far the one I've learned the most from and eagerly await with great anticipation for the next update. Keep up the great work Rich!

E.

• 4 months later...