Eduard+AlleyCat Bf109D JG102 Hannes Gentzen

Thomas Lund

An aircraft I've been wanting to do for a while. Unfortunately no D model is available in 32nd, but AlleyCat makes a superb conversion for the Eduard Bf109E-1. I wanted to do this bird because it is the plane of Hannes Gentzen, first ace of WWII.

The original

025146_Bf-109D1-JGr102-White-double-chev

On the left with double white chevron's

025145_Bf-109D1-JGr102-White-double-chev

I've been trying to do some more modeling rather than fiddeling with my computer, so not that many construction pictures so far. Only these with the resin fitted. Some putty and Mr Surface was needed but not too much.

127_zps8220ffdc.jpg

128_zpsf2be643c.jpg

And now I've thrown some paint on it. I was afraid that the contrast between the RLM 70 and 71 would be too small so I lightened the 71. I think i lightened it too much so I'll try to tone down the contrast. Not much in real life and I wanted to make it visible that it is a two tone scheme. In my experience the contrast is dampened with the clear coats but still I think it's too much...

136_zps3a091cda.jpg

140_zps573374a8.jpg

Wow interesting subject, the Alley Cat set seems to be troublefree. The interface looks pretty smooth.

How is the fit of the Eduard Emil? The 1/32 E-1 Profipack seems to be a gorgeous model.

Thank you for sharing :piliot:

Thanks guys.

Maurice - I think that if I said the AlleyCat set was trouble free then it would sound like Tamiya and it's not. You do need some fitting and filling, so I'd say: Effortless ? No, but what did you expect when you cut off a nose and graft on a new one. As good as it gets ? Certainly. I've got the B coversion to do a Spanish Civil War version (basically the same conversion plus a bit) and after doing this D I'm just as enthustiastic about the B so that really says it all. I will absolutely recommend AlleyCat

The Eduard kit is fine. Not brilliant, but fine. As this one entered the painting phase I started the Dragon/Cyberhobby BF109E-3 and wow what a difference, that one is just superb. Not that I'll sell my Eduards (got 3 in the stash, on a bit of a 109 trip) and replace them with D/C kits, but future purchases will be D/C. I'm a bit torn with regards to Profipak versus Weekend edition as I dont like the color of the photoetch instrument panel and I dont use the decal sheet anyway. I have two weekend editions and looked at getting photoetch (despite the color) but it was just a few £ cheaper than an Aires cockpit that I like much more...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well since this one seemed to pop up again, I thought I might as well finish it :hmmm: Strange what motivate me sometimes...

I suppose it came up again because I mentioned that you Marek also was building it. So let me share a few photo's I found pretty late in the process of the real aircraft. I prefer to work from real photo's rather than color profiles, and perhaps you do too.

Serial is decal from the spare box btw

51335_Bf-109%20D-1%20from%20the%20Stab%2

51334_Bf-109%20D-1%20from%20the%20Stab%2

51332_10702175_10152964547414789_1872237

And so, finally, a picture of the finished model. I will be making a real RFP thread

013x_zpse43lm2re.jpg

Well since this one seemed to pop up again, I thought I might as well finish it :hmmm: Strange what motivate me sometimes...

I suppose it came up again because I mentioned that you Marek also was building it. So let me share a few photo's I found pretty late in the process of the real aircraft. I prefer to work from real photo's rather than color profiles, and perhaps you do too.

Serial is decal from the spare box btw

This bird looks good to me. Well done Thomas. The only thing I would add is the black chevron outline visible on the first photo in your thread.

I prefer to work with photos of the subject as well. I'm building this bird as it looked like during the Polish campaign - with early balkenkreuzes, 2 kill markings and W.Nr. on the port side only (or without W.Nr.)