Revell Spitfire built as a Mk 1a

monthebiff

Thanks for the comments guys, Thinking about it Sparsanza and Ron have hit the nail on the head with the setting solution that I didn't clean up properly has attached the future but only reared its ugly head once the flory wash went on. After reflecting on it overnight I am thinking along the same lines as geedubelyer in doing a cover up job with weathering which is not what I really wanted to do as I wanted a pretty clean Spitty this time but needs must as I am not putting this on the shelf of doom as I have loved this build so far. 

Guest Peterpools

Andy

I have my fingers crossed all will work out. I've gone back to Glosscote and Flatcote, both being lacquers, dry rock hard and don't seem to be effected by washes or decal solutions. I have heard of this happening before and just leaving everything alone, over a day or so, the milky stains should disappear.

Peter

Aoch....with them decals...since the build looks fantastic.

That areas "White cloudy" if you take a cotton stick wet with water and apply it on them affected areas...does it dissapear...if so...there it is big chance that it will dissapear with a thin layer of clearcoat....

/Mal

Its been about 24 hours since I last did anything to her and decided I would start my weathering with some oil filters which seem to have helped out with the milky looking patches with most not all seeming to disappear as the oils dried out

IMG_20150404_152401_zpsohtvj7mx.jpg

Compare with the shot I uploaded last night and things are looking much better today.

IMG_20150404_155655_zpsop4yhgwk.jpg

This is how she is looking today, I have a few more idea's up my sleeve to cover the last 2 or 3 problem area's and sI will continue with the heavily weathered look on this one now. Thanks for looking in.

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy.

Have you tried gloss coating these areas again? I had the same problem when letting Mr. Mark Softer sit just a few seconds over my Future (Pledge) coat. I let it dry and airbrushed another coat of Pledge over it and the milky stains were gone.

Henrique

Thanks Henrique, DougN, As the milky patches are now all but gone I think I will continue with the weathering as I dont really want to use future on it or any other model again. As a gloss cote in future I'm toying with using Hannants Xtracolour Gloss as their Flat coat works like a dream, I have also seen/ heard Model Master Ultra Gloss straight from the rattle can gives pretty good results.

Regards. Andy

Started with a few localized washes this evening followed by a little airbrush weathering.

IMG_20150408_212615_zpswdoov1dv.jpg

And the underside airbrush weathering started

IMG_20150408_212738_zpssshqys6s.jpg

All was going well at this point, went in the other room for half an hour and had a drink and came back to find a major disaster on my hands.......it would seem the MIG wash I applied to the undercarriage has caused a reaction and melted the plastic as I found my Spit sitting on the deck less her undercarriage.  :doh:. Hopefully I can drill and fit some brass rod to cure this one.........I hope.............  

Has anyone experienced problems like this, really gutted at this one as the finishing line is/was in site!!

IMG_20150408_214807_zpsa2dff1zs.jpg

On a plus side my Quickboost exhausts arrived today.

IMG_20150408_214348_zps08mjophn.jpg

They are very nice and they will be fitted as I will be getting this Spit finished very soon as I'm not giving up on this one. Comments/criticism always welcome guys.

Regards. Andy

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen something like this happen simply due to paint or a wash. I'm assuming the Mig stuff is enamel, the petroleum base of which will easily soften plastic, but that's still an outrageous outcome after only 30 minutes! Any chance you could extract the remaining plastic stubs and use metal replacements? (That said, I'm not even sure if there are any metal replacements.)

Kev

Yeah Kev your right on one both counts being its enamel and yes an outrageous outcome this evening, had a quick look at Hannants and they have a suitable metal set so will try and get the offending plastic out. Never had this happen before but always a first time, very soft plastic though!! 

Regards. Andy

With a fresh mind I've had a good look at the offending plastic in question this evening Ron and both UC legs broke in the same place on a glue joint , I remember when I fitted the parts together I thought it a little poor on the engineering side at the time as the plastic is very soft and I suppose with the weight of the kit bearing down with a bit of enamel attacking the joint the outcome was inevitable. With a little patience this evening I have managed to extract the remaining UC leg from the wings and I have a set of metal Scale Model undercarriage legs on there way to from Hannants so all is definitely not lost.

Regards. Andy