A sentimental favourite de Havilland - the Mk35 Vampire

Uncle Les

Many moons ago a younger Uncle Les wore a blue uniform and performed feats of technical interest on Bous, Macchis and more importantly, on this aircraft:

vampmk35000_zps14960296.jpg

This is the view from the instrument section window above the flight line.  I decided I wanted to build a model of this very aircraft ( as I tend to do with others I've taken a screwdriver to..) and to this end I made a 1/72 resin conversion set, 1/48 resin fuselage replacement and more recently, a 1/32 one-off.  Here's a bit of the story of the 1/32 example in a brief photographic essay:

vampmk35003_zps5c9e0b6f.jpg

I decided I wanted to build an RNZAF Venom alongside the Mk35 using a Matchbox Sea Venom as a base - I also obtained a Tigger models Vampire but this proved to be rather expensive and disappointing - it ended up being an expensive canopy and mismatched parts that needed a LOT of work.  Eventually I knocked up the sections I needed with plasticard and resin using scaled up plans from various sources.

vampmk35005_zps11909efb.jpg

My take on the Goblin was using the Matchbox Ghost, casting up new cans and making a few mods here and there...

vampmk35007_zps1562a3d6.jpgThese pics will show which bits of the kit I used and which bits were cast up - I made up one boom to suit and cast up multiples to cater for this and the Venom.

I then whipped up a nose shape and vac-formed some nosey bits to cater for both the underside and the bonnet.

vampmk35009_zps5cc9ada7.jpg

vampmk35010_zps87c8aa39.jpg

Edited by Uncle Les

Moving forward - I tend to build fairly fast and didn't photograph some of the intervening steps so here we are magically with some markings applied

vampmk35065_zpsc584014b.jpg

vampmk35070_zps99993b78.jpg

The wing tip lights were made by inking a small vacform "bulb" was was encased in clear epoxy and then sanded to shape.

Bang seats using some Mk3s I had laying around (thanks Eric Sujecki collection..)

vampmk35075_zpsfa03ce8b.jpg

and we're pretty much there

vampmk35080_zps0ed2baa1.jpg

vampmk35085_zps1c939abd.jpg

Edited by Uncle Les