HPH Me410 (B2/U2/R3 variant) - Finished!

Wouter

Hi folks,

After much internal debate i decided my next build would be the HPH Me410. I haven't seen one build here before so I'm on an expedition here! The HPH Me410 is a A1 variant. Although I could build that one, the Me410 had a large number of weapon configurations. One of the best known is the A1/U4 with the BK5 cannon. While an interesting subject I decided to go for another variant, the B2/U2/R3 (edit: checked my reference, this should be the right desgination instead of B2/U1). This means I have to build 2 MK103's in the internal bomb bay. I have not yet decide if I will build an open bomb bay or a closed one, but i think it will be the latter. Building a full resin kit is allready stretching my modelling. For the MK103's I will use ZM's MK103 set for their He219. I've not yet ordered it, but here's a picture.

116912_2.JPG

Well, what do I have so far. Obviously the kit:

_DCS1386.jpg

This is one box full of resin! I won't do a review, Kevin made an excellent one here LSP review HPH Me410 and on Scaleplasticandrail is another one.

Here's a look inside:

_DCS1387.jpg

I've printed out the manual (which is on a cd-rom) for convenience. I wish my GMF Hs129 had a manual like this. For reference I bought the book from Robert Peczkowski. a nice little book with a description of all the variants and an extensive full color walk around from one of the two surviving Me410's.

_DCS1388.jpg

In this book i've found the subject I want to build.

_DCS1394.jpg

Being a resin kit I needed some additional tools. So i ordered a range saws from Radu Brinzan. I allready did some cutting and I have to say, without you can't build a resin model!

_DCS1389.jpg

Other then the MK103's I don't need any aftermarket stuff. The kit is complete as you can get. I did bought some Maketar paint masks. For general use, but these will come in handy.

_DCS1391.jpg

_DCS1390.jpg

And to complete everything I also have some digital reference which should be of help.

Referentieoverzicht.jpg

The only thing left to do is start building the damn thing! I've made some small progress by cleaning up the extra resin. There is not a whole lot te clean, but nevertheless it should keep me occupied for a while.

Cheers, Wouter

Edited by Wouter

Lovely!  For me it was between starting the Me-410 and the Supermarine Walrus. I chose the latter, but it was a tough choice, as you mentioned, the 410 kit is fabulous!

Looking forward to some progress on this one, as Im taking notes!!!!

Have seen a fully build up HPH Me 410 at a show here in Germany recently. Talked to the guy that build it and he wasn´t really enthusiastic about the design and fit of this kit... But, resin kits never are the same, so maybe yours will fit much better? Hope so! :)

Wouter, I will follow your build for sure! Interesting subject and an impressive amount of stuff to assist you in your build! You also got the good old Revell Omega compressor, as I see! ;)

Did you ever build a resin kit before? Getting some of Radu´s PE saws was a clever idea, won´t miss them.

Edited by Wurzacher

Yes! Yes! YES! :thumbsup:

I've been trying to put together the funds to get this kit, but every time I think I might be able to swing it, life gets in the way. My wife won't let me rob a bank in order to purchase this and I'm more likely to get hit by lightning (twice) than to win the lottery. So, in the meantime, I will live vicariously through this thread (providing I don't get hit by lightning before you finish). :lol: 

This is pretty much one of my dream kits, so I'm very anxious to see what you can do with it. :popcorn:

John

watching, watching, watching.

Plan to start my HpH 410 early 2015.  3 builds on the bench should be done (hopefully) by end of year.  Then some bench remodeling and back to toy airplanes.

I have studied the instructions on several occasions and some build sections look tricky (radiator flaps), but doable.  Certainly there will be some creative engineering/building with this.  

Taking serious consideration on adding one of Eduard's BRASSIN DB 605's.  Eduard's BRASSIN WGr.21's may also replace HpH turned metal sets.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Rick K

Eduard's BRASSIN WGr.21's may also replace HpH turned metal sets.

Good point........................if you look in the kit, the OOB 21s are incorrectly sized, and have no way to mound them in tube and look realistic (no rails), as well as the instructions saying nothing about how or what to attach them to the air-frame with.

I myself was also planning on adding two sets of the Eduard's Werfer-Granate 21s.

Thanks all for looking in! I'll try not fail on you  :piliot:

Lovely!  For me it was between starting the Me-410 and the Supermarine Walrus. I chose the latter, but it was a tough choice, as you mentioned, the 410 kit is fabulous!

Looking forward to some progress on this one, as Im taking notes!!!!

Your Walrus is coming along nicely, looking at your build I'd reckon the Walrus is a more demanding build due to the double wing setup.

Have seen a fully build up HPH Me 410 at a show here in Germany recently. Talked to the guy that build it and he wasn´t really enthusiastic about the design and fit of this kit... But, resin kits never are the same, so maybe yours will fit much better? Hope so! :)

Wouter, I will follow your build for sure! Interesting subject and an impressive amount of stuff to assist you in your build! You also got the good old Revell Omega compressor, as I see! ;)

Did you ever build a resin kit before? Getting some of Radu´s PE saws was a clever idea, won´t miss them.

This is my first resin aircraft, but I did build some resin subjects like the Baluard WR360 locomotive in 1/35 scale ( I still have to finish it someday :innocent: ). I did some testfitting on the Me410 and from the looks of it I will need some putty or milliput, but nothing too serious. We'll see how things turn out. And yes, I do have the Revelle Omega compressor, it's a trustworthy companion for 20 years allready!

watching, watching, watching.

Plan to start my HpH 410 early 2015.  3 builds on the bench should be done (hopefully) by end of year.  Then some bench remodeling and back to toy airplanes.

I have studied the instructions on several occasions and some build sections look tricky (radiator flaps), but doable.  Certainly there will be some creative engineering/building with this.  

Taking serious consideration on adding one of Eduard's BRASSIN DB 605's.  Eduard's BRASSIN WGr.21's may also replace HpH turned metal sets.

Good luck and have fun!

Yes there are some tricky bits indeed. I'll take it nice and slowly which should be the key i think. You might want to rethink about the DB605, only the Me210C test model was fitted with it. All Me410 were equipped with DB603 A or C engines. The B version was supposed to get the DB 603 G, but due to shortages at the end of the war there were only a few planes fitted out with that engine.

Yes! Yes! YES! :thumbsup:

I've been trying to put together the funds to get this kit, but every time I think I might be able to swing it, life gets in the way. My wife won't let me rob a bank in order to purchase this and I'm more likely to get hit by lightning (twice) than to win the lottery. So, in the meantime, I will live vicariously through this thread (providing I don't get hit by lightning before you finish). :lol: 

This is pretty much one of my dream kits, so I'm very anxious to see what you can do with it. :popcorn:

John

Although it has a pretty steep price up front, it's a very completed package. If you have to buy all the aftermarket stuff (PE, seatbelts, brass and aluminium tubing, cockpit masks) that would set you back for at least €50,-. And then the price of €150 is not as high compared to other twin engine subjects in 1/32. I had the luck to buy this kit at Euroscalemodelling, directly from the MPM distributor. That saved me all taxes and shipping. For me personally, that's an acceptable price for such an unique subject. 

Well, i'll make sure to not get hit by lightning :frantic:

You might want to rethink about the DB605, only the Me210C test model was fitted with it. All Me410 were equipped with DB603 A or C engines. The B version was supposed to get the DB 603 G, but due to shortages at the end of the war there were only a few planes fitted out with that engine.

Our secret, ok?  :)