1/32 Trumpeter Bf 109G-10/U4/R2 "Black 12"

DoogsATX

Recently, I was contacted by The Weathering Magazine about contributing a build for an upcoming issue with a theme of late-war Luftwaffe aircraft. While exciting, it's also a bit daunting, since the build has to be done the first week of January. 

I immediately veered toward a late 109 - last year I built Hasegawa's G-4 in 54 days and Revell's G-6 in 44, so the good ol' Messerschmitt seemed a safe bet for getting in under the deadline. 

I initially chose a K-4, but it was one of those things where absolutely nothing went right from the start, leaving that sense of ill luck. Decided to put the K-4 back in the box and do a G-10 instead, and started looking for schemes. A bit frustrating, because there's one I've wanted to do for a long time, but it was a recce version and the only camera fairings I knew of were long since out of production.

Until I realized Quickboost made one...

qb32044.jpg

Between the Quickboost fairing and Trumpeter's recent 1/32 G-10, I'll be tackling "Black 12"...

Bf-109G10-2.NAG14-%2812%2B5F%29-WNr-7702

Decals-006-X3.jpg

The magazine thing means I'll have to take this build dark once it comes around to painting, but I've got the go-ahead to show the construction and figured there might be some interest in it, since you don't see too many Trumpeter 109s being built. The brush-off they seem to get is unfortunate. Accuracy blah blah - it's not like the Hasegawa or Revell kits are anywhere near perfect in this regard. And Trumpeter has them, er, trumped in the engineering department. Full-length fuselages, single-piece lower wings, the only design of the three that aligns to the actual cowl hatches instead of the lazy top trough approach.

Anyway - work kicks off this weekend! Stay tuned...

Mmmmmm - you can never have too many 109's.

Good choice on marking - will look forward to this

Only thing I find really bad on the Trump 109's is the short rudder, easily fixed with a little evergreen and rescribing...

Edited by Thomas Lund

Mmmmmm - you can never have too many 109's.

Good choice on marking - will look forward to this

Only thing I find really bad on the Trump 109's is the short rudder, easily fixed with a little evergreen and rescribing...

The rudder may not even be an issue on the G-10 since it's got the tall rudder, which I don't think Trumpeter has boxed in 1/32 yet.

Hello,

I bought one recently and its a very nice model.the only thing is the position of the oil filler hatch it is in the lower position  wrong for the G-10 but otherwise,Ok

Cheers

Boris

Hello,

I bought one recently and its a very nice model.the only thing is the position of the oil filler hatch it is in the lower position  wrong for the G-10 but otherwise,Ok

Cheers

Boris

Good to know!

Lovely project, the scheme is sublime. It seems that this aircraft didn't have the landing gear doors, perhaps due to the fact that by those days ending the war, production was very desperate. :piliot:

Edited by Maurice

The G-10 showed up yesterday

IMG_20141106_200555-X3.jpg

Need to soak the parts before I can properly kick this one off, but I did a quick test-fit last night. Overall I'm pretty happy with the engineering. The only real issue I found was the presence of a wing root gap. 

Tamiya%20F4U-1%20Corsair%2011-06-2014-5-

The way things go together, it looks like the cockpit floor and various other internal bits may act as spreaders. If not, the gap seems like it can easily be filled with some strip styrene. 

Official work began on the G-10 last night. 

Sadly the Barracuda spinner is just a touch to wide in diameter to fit the Trumpy kit, so I'll be using the kit parts - which are a far sight better than the punishing Revell spinner at least.

IMG_20141108_003123-X3.jpg

A few notes so far...

This is a solid kit so far. The buildup is very different from any 109 I've ever touched (Eduard, Hasegawa, Revell, and a 1/48 Tamiya), but very logical. Detail is solid throughout. Not up to Tamiya standards or even what I've encountered in some recent Trumpy/Hobby Boss stuff like the 1/48 Intruder, but FAR better than what you'll get in a Hasegawa box. For the sake of speed/laziness, I'll probably be poaching a few cockpit bits from an Eduard set I've got for the G-6.

The engine assembly has a pretty sloppy connection to the firewall, but that ends up working out in its favor, since it gives it plenty of play to assure proper alignment. Ultimately it's trapped in place by a combination of cockpit, exhausts and prop hub elements.

Speaking of exhaust stubs - this is another 109 where you have to put the things in before you close the fuselage. The stubs are individual and have a bit of play, so I used the fuselage halves to help make sure they aligned properly. 

The cowl panels continue to fit amazingly well - arguably better than on the real thing. 

IMG_20141108_012055-X3.jpg

Work proceeds on the cockpit. I'd intended to stick with kit parts, but then I found an Eduard set I had lying around for the Trumpeter G-6, and then I found a resin 109G control stick and so there's a bit of aftermarket now, but nothing major.

1010201422019-X3.jpg

Still plenty of weathering I want to do, plus I need to sort out the seatbelts. I have a set of the green-fabric HGW belts but they just look lost amid the RLM 66. So I need to track down some good old beige ones. Perfect excuse to hit the LHS, right?

I also got the Barracuda wheels drilled out last night. I'm a bit worried that one of them is slightly off-center so I need to poke with that a bit further. But even so, they're hands down the best 109G legs in this scale. The Hasegawas are competent but the molded-on brake lines are awkwardly done. The Revell legs are a three-piece torture and probably among the single worst parts of the kit. The Trumpy legs, meanwhile, consist of a single, well-detailed main shaft, separate oleo scissors, a plastic brake line, and some PE strips to clamp the line to the gear leg. They're great. They get the job done, fit, and don't screw around.

IMG_20141109_231525-X3.jpg