Trumpeter 1/32 Junkers Ju 87A "Anton" *Done! 11/19/14*

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, Peter (and Happy Birthday!) !!! ;)

I spent a lot more time today working on decals. The program I'm using is a pretty basic (read: stone age) type of photo editing system. Nothing fancy, but I've become used to it. After several test runs on regular paper, I finally got a setup that was to my liking, for both the wing and fuselage codes, as well as for the prop blade logos. The photo shows the very first test shot of the prop logos. I actually shrunk them just a bit (after comparing them to photos and my resin blades) and printed off twice as many on a single sheet, because I know I'll mess some up in the process. So, everything is ready for decal sealer, which I'll be doing next. Then, it's back to the painting. I hope to finish up the green and possibly get some of the brown done tonight, as well. We'll see how it goes.

20141114_190240_zps6f99b327.jpg

A larger image of the prop logo (and I just noticed that I had them upside down in the photo above. :doh: :lol: ):

SL2121_mgyhmeHGOcC_zpsbb0b3bb0.jpg

Thanks again!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I got the spots of RLM 71 painted where I wanted, so I started on the RLM 61 Brown. With the brown on, you can see how light the 71 really is. The contrast is pretty stark. I had a tape mishap on the left side of the fuselage, just below the cockpit sill. Also, some of the lines and angles aren't exactly how I wanted them, but I'll go back and change a few things and do touch-ups, later. I'm sure there will be plenty of them! At this point, I'm running out of safe places from which to hold the plane and move it around while  painting, so it's time to give it a rest and let things cure, I think. This will give you an idea of where it's headed, though.

20141114_214242_zps28451712.jpg

20141114_214305_zps56615ed0.jpg

I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get the camo done and the decals on. Getting....closer..... :frantic:

John

The main painting phase is now finished. I still need to go back and touch up some blemishes and fix some overspray issues in a few spots, but the worst part is over. I was worried about the underside paint lifting off, everywhere that I had taped it (spats, wing edges, etc.). However, the only spot that's an issue is the rear of the fuselage. It seems that all my paint lift issues were pretty much limited to the fuselage. It could be because that's the area that was handled the most and I should have washed it before the final painting stage. Painting this thing was like trying to make a jigsaw puzzle. Getting it to match photos was even more difficult, not only because of the crazy lines and colors, but finding photos to support it all. I came to the conclusion that there had to be at least two different factory schemes using these colors and also that most machines appeared to have been repainted, or additional paint added, not long after reaching their service destinations. So, variations are huge and I did the best I could. 

20141115_141051_zpsf2dea7c9.jpg

20141115_141020_zpsfcdb41e2.jpg

After some touch-ups, I'll be adding the decals and some of the smaller parts before "weathering". I used quotes because this plane won't really be weathered much, at all. I am, however, going to apply a light wash to bring out some of the surface details, but I want to keep it minimal, as this one is supposed to be somewhat "factory fresh".

John

Guest Peterpools

John

Terrific paint work , as the cammo scheme looks stellar. Nothing like finishing up a tough paint job and then seeing how well it looks

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I've been busy working on touch-ups and am going to let everything sit for the night. Tomorrow I'll work on the tail flash and decals. I really wanted to have this finished over the weekend, but it may take a couple more days. It seems that real life keeps interfering. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

John

Thank you, Ray and Alan!

I'm back in the saddle, today. Just got the tail flash masked and painted and starting to work on decals next. For the circle on the tail flash, I used frisket paper and cut it using a template and a fresh blade. Not perfect, but after some touch ups it looks pretty good. This photo is "pre -touch-ups".

20141116_114338_zps022ef4b2.jpg

Now I'm just digging through my spares looking for some swastikas that are just a touch larger than what's in the kit. I'll be getting the code letters on today, as well.

Thanks again,

John

Looks great John - if you don't find suitable swastikas let me know the size you want and I'll take a look in the pile...

Really, really want this kit now - failed to get one at Telford.

Iain

Looks great John - if you don't find suitable swastikas let me know the size you want and I'll take a look in the pile...

Really, really want this kit now - failed to get one at Telford.

Iain

Thanks, Iain.

If I can't find the right sized items in my spares, I'll just make new ones. However, I greatly appreciate your offer.

I wish you luck in your quest for the kit. I'm sure if you're patient, one will turn up. I don't see this one being such a hot seller that it becomes extremely hard to find.

Thanks again,

John